2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, May 8, 2014.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

In one month on June 12th the 20th "World Cup" will kick off in Brazil for the first time since 1950. 32 Nations over 8 Groups and 64 games in total to crown the champions of World Football.

"Spain" will be looking to join Brazil and Italy as the only nations ever to successfully defend the World Cup after their debut win back in 2010 over Holland in the final 1-0. Meanwhile "Brazil" will be wanting to join the likes of Uruguay, Italy, England, Germany, Argentina and France as host nations who win the World Cup in their own backyard having lost the final back in 1950.

June 12th will see "Brazil" kick off the World Cup against "Croatia" in "Sao Paulo" and on July 13th the World Cup Final will decide who will come out as champions. So how will your team go, what squads do you hope for and will Brazil the soul of football live up to the hype and produce a magical world cup this summer.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwEplZ1Ycg[/YT]

:techman:

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

England will be embarrassingly inept, barely scrape out of the group stages and crash out against 'inferior' opposition.

Again.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

England have not gone out the opening group stage since 1958 and I remember the same thing said when we were placed in the 2002 group of death but...

Italy will dominate the opening game much like the quarter final "Euro 2012" fixture and Uruguay despite not being good as 4 years ago when they finished 4th or 3 years ago when they won the Copa America, they are in their own backyard with a striker whose in the top 3 of world football IMO. Even Costa Rica could take a point off a damaged and confidence battered England side. I don't doubt the squad we are building but I do doubt the manager's negative tactics, which rubs off on our players and no doubt chips away at their ability on the field. Also combine injuries + Hodgson most likely refusal to pick & use a lot of young exciting players, I can't see us getting out the group stage.

England 0-1 Italy
    England 1-2 Uruguay
    England 2-1 Costa Rica

Eliminated in 3rd place with 3pts :(

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Jeez, and I thought I was a pessimist !

Even I've got hopes we'll get out of the group stage...

5. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really interested to see what happens in Group G. I don't think there's one team that can really run away with it.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I do enjoy some prediction time...

Group A
    Brazil
    Mexico
    Croatia
    Cameroon

Group B
    Spain
    Chile
    Netherlands
    Australia

Group C
    Colombia
    Ivory Coast

Japan
    Greece

Group D
    Uruguay
    Italy

England
    Costa Rica

Group E
    Ecuador
    France
    Switzerland
    Honduras

Group F
    Argentina
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Nigeria
    Iran

Group G
    Germany
    Portugal

USA
    Ghana

Group H
    Belgium
    Korea Republic
    Russia
    Algeria

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of Hodgson dropping the remnants of the old guard and going with young team who actually might WANT to play. There's just enough mature heads there to stop the youngsters going off the rails (and hopefully keep Rooney away front pensioners).

I'd much rather see us get eliminated for being young and inexperienced than for being jaded and disinterested...

8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

England has been the most overrated team in the World Cup for the last 20 years. The last good England team was in Italia 90.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A tad harsh the 1998 World Cup team was techinally a superior team to the last couple and was only beaten by a shootout + a goal being disallowed that any other day would of been given. The 2002 World Cup team played well overall and was our best shot alongside 1990 & 1970 of winning the thing probably since 1966. Now the 2006 team despite reaching the last 8 never played well and the 2010 team was dreadful only beaten by the Graham Taylor team of 92-93 that didn't even qualify.

I'll remind you other big nations have struggled in the last 20 years, France may of won it in 1998 but didn't make 1994 and went out in the group stage in 2002 & 2010. Holland didn't make it to 2002, Italy crashed out in a very easy group in 2010 while they were the defending champions and Argentina went out in the group stage in 2002 and have not made it past the last 8 since 1990 despite being a so called great team.

Back to England I am excited for 2016 & 2018 though with the likes of Stones, Flanagan, Shaw, Barkley, Chamberlain, Sterling, Henderson, Townsend, Sturridge and some other surprises maybe like the Wilson kid at Utd or even Wickham at Sunderland.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Not really, outside of England anyway.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Speaking of England we named our squad today and overall not a bad one though my problem is still with Hodgson's more reserved tactics rather than the players themselves...

Standby List...

I would of liked to see Stones in over Smalling, Huddlestone in over Lampard to give some cover in the holding role and while I like Rickie as a player I would only play 1 upfront so 3 strikers would be enough and I would take Flanagan over Lambert to provide cover at RB.

Wilshere should have to complete 90 mins against Peru at the end of May or be replaced as well since he's missed so much of the season.

12. EmoBorg

What is the official 2014 World Cup song ?

13. EmoBorg

While waiting for the official song to be revealed by FIFA.

Here is one song to get folks into the mood.

[​IMG]

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

This one is good too

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgpYMCe548[/yt]

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Honestly I can't see how any team can win this other than Brazil. Not necessarily because they are the best team (although they very well might be), but because it would be a national tragedy if they don't. And if everything else fails, the refs will help them.

Otherwise, I don't really care. I'm conflicted on whether I want Spain to win again - on one hand I don't like their style, on the other hand they are a historically great team imo, and winning yet again would emphasise that status that I think they deserve.

Germany winning would suck, but luckily I don't see that as likely anyway. Belgium would be fun, or maybe someone like Colombia.
    Looking at the odds I'm tempted to put a little bit of money on Bosnia. How amazing would that be?

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My money is on Brazil despite this side lacking flair of previous winners but home advantage and seeing how they picked Spain apart last summer not too mention unlike Barcelona they know how to play Neymar = Victory IMO. I dislike Spain as they went from a sharp attacking hammer in Euro 2008 to a BORING BORING pass around causing defences n fans to fall into coma's before they scored. The fall of Bayern and Barca this season (2 for Barca) prove their style of football is easily defeated by true attack minded teams.

Belgium having a good run would be nice as would Ghana again like 4 years ago.

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

It's been rather comical to see / hear the football ignorant elements of the media here - in other words, most of the media here - claim that we're in the "group of death". Frankly, I'd imagine only professionalism and courtesy would prevent the other countries in our group from regarding their games against us as a gimme. Hell, Spain could probably field their third- or fourth-string side and win in a canter. It was good to see us abandon the infatuation with Dutch managers but we went backwards under Osieck, and the new generation of players has been pretty underwhelming. Tim Cahill might still be good for a goal or two but I'm not sure where any other goals are going to come from.

To say I'm not optimistic about our chances of even drawing a game is putting it mildly. Hopefully we won't be as incredibly abysmal as we were in South Africa but I can't help but think bettering that "effort" is the best we can hope for. I suppose we could hope our opponents take us lightly and stuff up but that's getting into the realms of silliness.

I'd like to see Brazil win the thing but the pressure and expectation of playing at home will take some dealing with. I'm looking forward to seeing some good football, and after all the dramas in the leadup I also hope it's a successful and incident-free event.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Its a bastard of a group for the Aussie team especially with recent form to go on so I probably see 3 one sided defeats looking likely. I remember loving watching the team in 2006 when Tim Cahill was in his peak and Gus always like to play attacking football. Pity 2014 is looking like it could be worse than the mix tournament that was 2010 was for you.

On a side note I would love to see the Aussie team play ENG at Wembley, been too long and we have a Sven Goran era 3-1 defeat to avenge :p

19. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I reckon even your lot of serial underachievers could beat us now. :p

The so-called "golden generation" was at their peak in 2006 and I'm not at all bitter all these years later about that craptacular penalty decision in the secound round game against Italy. Not even a little bit. :scream:

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Don't remind me of that shit...To make it worse Italy went on to win the fucking World Cup :rolleyes: