‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And from anecdotal evidence, it seems to me, that general Audience, without Preconceived notions of Wrath of Khan and Space Seed, seem to have picked up on them better, than the Trek nerds who say that stuff isn't there unless you have a prior Trek Education, YMMV, since it's my anecdotal evidence, not yours (General "You", not specific you).

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I would have ZERO problems if they did it to anyone who was being assholish to them. Constructive criticism is fine. The vitriol these guys get on a routine business? Not fine. If they take "the high road" and don't respond, good for them. But if they choose to lob some back, they have my full support.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, he often, did engage respectfully and genuinely with fans with Constructive criticism, it was when the guy got pissy and petty that, that Orci got pissy back.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

"Vitriol"? :rommie: Please. Can we retire the fainting couch, here?

Orci wasn't responding to someone who was personally attacking him or calling him names or threatening him or something. There was nothing in the originating article or in anything said by the guy he challenged to "pitch" Star Trek that was particularly irrational or nasty or anything more than very, very mildly critical. The "child acting out against his parents" garbage looked even worse for its contrast to the article's deliberately generous and even-handed tone.

There was no excuse. Period.

[image removed - BJ]

[Embedded image converted to link. 3.3Mb filesize was slowing page-load. - M']

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

"As I love to say, there is a reason why I get to write the movies, and you don’t."

I presume that reason would be talent and/or good connections but I can't help but wonder if it's really a good thing that the next director thinks so highly of himself and so little of others. :rolleyes:

He definitely creates controversy and attention, maybe that's why Paramount opted for him. :shrug:

Bob

6. BigJake

^ Well, we don't know that they've opted for anyone yet. Orci being the ostensible "frontrunner" may or may not turn out to mean he actually has it.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The article was, at best, inane. And Orci was clearly not restricting his response to the article's author. So yes, after all the shit (you seem to not like "vitriol") and abuse thrown his way, I have ZERO problem with his reaction (and, frankly, find it mild). I don't necessarily agree with everything he said in rebuttal, but I wholeheartedly (and twice on Sundays) approve of his decision to not sit mute. It's only a problem because, in an all too rare instance, people who have felt free to heap abuse on those who actually make the entertainment (because, hey, they're "fans" and they're "entitled") are upset because one of them threw some back.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  8. BigJake

Even if I bought that, so is making conversation by talking about one's commute. That doesn't make flying off the handle in response any less psychotic.

You see, though this is a totally irrational and ridiculous summary of anything in that thread -- "abuse" being just as silly and thin-skinned an exaggeration as "vitriol" -- and a generally over-the-top response to most criticism of Orci, it's marginally okay for you to react this way because after all you're an Orci fan and a little bit of irrationality is common in fans. We're all subject to it from time to time. You at any rate don't have a professional connection to the product or a responsibility to anyone else who's working on it or promoting it.

Which is not at all Orci's situation.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of Orci, as I haven't seen all that much of his stuff, though I don't dislike what little of his work I've seen. But I do dislike much of Michael Bay's work (something I usually get roped into watching with a group--not by myself) and I find a fair bit of Lucas' work worthy of criticism. Orci is rather immaterial to my point (I've noted elsewhere that I'd support Bay or Lucas as well, if they were in similar circumstances). And you still miss the point--when I said Orci wasn't limiting his response to the author of the article, I was not referring only to those in the discussion thread. I was referring to the crap that is easily found all over the internet and with which I am sure Orci, Bay and Lucas (and others) are quite familiar.

As for being "professionally attached" to the project--totally irrelevant. I guarantee you Paramount would have lost no money if he'd not apologized and that's all they care about.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep coming back to this. Basically, if Orci's outburst is actually a "train wreck", then the crybabies are really in charge. And I have no patience for crybabies.

10. BigJake

Not an excuse either. Lashing out at an unrelated person because of other unspecified supposedly-worse complaints one has seen on the Internet somewhere would be just as dumb, or even dumber.

However, you should probably not make a habit of equating people who actually expect professionals to behave professionally with "crybabies." Because that's silliness.

Having said that, I'm done with this, too.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it that frankly most of the fan ideas for Star Trek are not only fanwanky crap, but sometimes dull fanwanky crap :)

12. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Again, how is it "psychotic" ? Exaggerated, perhaps. Uncalled for, I can see. But psychotic ?

13. BigJake

Just a figure of speech meaning "way over the top." I don't mean that he's literally psychotic, of course.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, same for me. I called him psychotic, but I didn't mean he's literally psychotic. He got upset, handled himself very poorly, and lashed out. We've all done something like he has at one point or another in our lives. Fortunately for me my poorer moments aren't publicized for millions of people to see. I'm not going to judge him from this one incident.

To be honest, I'm actually far more bothered by the fact that people are defending his reaction. The idea that people deserve to be insulted and cussed at because they didn't like a movie is disgusting.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I have never behaved in a psychotic manner! *flips table* *sets room on fire* *releases bees*

16. BigJake

Not the bees! No! AGGHGHGGHALAAHGGH! Not the Bees!

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn. You beat me to it. :(

18. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly right. And those very fans should know better than to act that way toward the creative team or other fans in general.

19. BigJake

Which of course didn't happen at all* in the incident that set Orci off. (Does reminding someone of inconvenient facts count as cussing them out or insulting them? Mileage apparently varies. ;))

* Not that it would constitute an excuse if it did, mind you. It's just that its not having happened, there's even less excuse.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Exactly! They're usually filled with plot points that don't make sense, some of the crew acting out of character, there's almost always some object or character from previous Trek that they just can't help bringing back, often they have some hokey new technology...

Just like the last movie, you might say. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.