After Abrams

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mirror Sulu, Feb 24, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh crap, I'm seeing the number 3 everywhere!

2. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

I love Abrams Trek for what it is, and for me it's all part of the same entity, but it's not as intelligent as it could have been. Yes, there are films which fleshed out their characters to such an extent.

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we're done with the old TOS characters, frankly. The 2nd ST movie is coming and I suspect there will be a 3rd, and then that's it. Abrams will be focusing more intently upon Star Wars (*cough*). Actually, I think he'll do a better job than Lucas did with episodes 1,2,&3 (which I didn't care for; very flat directing leaving key actors appearing as cardboard).

I agree with folks here about a TNG reboot. While the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio is legendary, the Abrams reboot is going to end and most certainly won't be made into a TV series (TV-->Movies, but very rare Movies-->TV works).

Even though TNG was tired by the 7th season, that was mostly because of the characters. We saw them developed enough that there wasn't much more to do... and besides, they were starting to age and ready to move on. I see enormous potential to take the TNG scenario with new characters and incorporate new story themes, many of which can reflect struggles we face today... the Star Trek tradition.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I do think TNG will be redone at some point. But outside of Picard, Worf and Data, the other characters will be reimagined to the point that they're not recognizable or will be replaced by new characters all together.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

With the exceptions of Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, I don't think that is true in the least.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only reason they weren't ready to move is because they had no place else to go. :lol:

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart had X-Men. Although, admittedly his role wasn't that large in those movies. Hell, he spends most of the first one in a coma, is captured in the second, and killed in the third.

I'm not spoiler coding movies from 13, 10, and 7 years ago.

8. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Star Trek is over. There is no after Abrams unless you have a magatronic bomb. The man is Jewish after all. He's not stupid as well as a not very talented thinker.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What does being Jewish have to do with anything?

10. The Wormhole

There's a line, and you just crossed it.

11. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Xortex, I'd love to hear that further explained. If it's well thought-out, maybe I'll tell it to my family this passover.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I certainly do. :lol: :techman:

13. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mean just physically, but also in character. There's only so long Riker can sit at Picard's side. The turning down captaincy was getting really tired. And I didn't feel like Frakes and Sirtis were really giving it their all in S7. It was time to wrap it up. Some people even contend that S6 should've been it (but while S7 wasn't one of the better seasons, I'm glad we had it).

14. The Wormhole

True, the career stand-still was bad enough with the TOS characters, though at least they continued to move up in rank, even if they kept the same jobs for twenty years. It's particularly bad in TUC both Spock and Scotty are captains yet they still keep their positions of science ofricer and chief engineer of the Enterprise.

But with TNG it just got silly. They all stay together for 15 years at basically the same rank and positions. The only one who moved on with their career was Worf, but even he gave it all up to become the Enterpirse's tactical officer again in Nemesis. Factor in the Federation fought a war where it suffered heavy losses, and the very idea that people weren't pulled off the Enterprise and promoted to fill in vacancies elsewhere in Starfleet really makes no sense.

DS9 at least ended with everyone moving on in their lives and only a handful of characters stayed on the station.

Voyager at least had a reason for why no one would transfer off the ship, being lost on the ass-end of the galaxy, but still one would think Harry Kim could have been promoted at some point Tuvok got promoted, Tom Paris got demoted and re-promoted, no reason Harry should have been an enisgn all this time.

And Enterprise, TATV claims that no one advanced in rank ten years, meaning Mayweather and Hoshi break Harry's record for longest ensign.

15. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It's a little known fact that Mother Theresa was actually Hitler in Drag. A lot more happened in that bunker than they thought. He had a sex change operation and slipped out unnoticed when the allies got there as an unwitting nurse.

Later in the century they tried to clone that piece of skull they thought was Hitlers and it somehow turned out to be Shirley Temple. How that happened, nobody knows. She later worked for the phone company for twenty years and then did a striptease act in Vegas for a long time, long after it was out of style and fashionable and while not even in her prime anymore.

Well, you asked.

As for Abrams, He's a smart greedy Jew. :guffaw:

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

One infraction for trolling. This is a textbook example of how to do it. Comments to PM.

17. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Someone gonna ban this guy?

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Please don't call for bans or warnings on the board. You can use the "notify the Moderator" button (that little attention sign to the left) if you think a post is crossing the line (and please feel free to do that in the future). Bringing such things up in public tends to lead to more trouble and is something that's easily abused.

Please get back on topic, everyone.