Duryea Passes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TrekToday, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peter Duryea, best-known to original series fans, has passed away at the age of seventy-three. Duryea portrayed Lt. Jose Tyler in The Cage, the original pilot for Star Trek. Duryea followed his father Dan Duryea into acting, with roles in thirty television shows, including guest appearances on Dr. Kildare, Bewitched, Daniel Boone, Gomer Pyle: USMC, [...]

More...

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's strangely coincidental, at least from my lil' corner, as I watched the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" riffing of "Catalina Caper" just last weekend! Duryea played the ethical son of a man trying to run an art scam. He even wore the same haircut as he did in "The Cage". (Otherwise, I might not have realized he was the same actor.)

Sincerely,

Bill

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Checking his credits, I see he was also in The Outer Limits: Expanding Human episode with Skip Homeier, same episode I took the monster Skip from for my avatar.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

73 is far too young. RIP.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Sad to hear.

I guess this makes Lenoard Nimoy and Laurel Goodwin the last survivors of the original cast.

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll bet they'd cringe if either of them read that. We all have to face mortality, but sometimes its staring you in the face like a pit bull.

7. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

That ep had 6 TOS alum---Duryea, Wingreen, Andes, Homeier, and I forgot but it does!

Edit: Duh, some guy name Doohan and of course Vic Perrin (control voice) and Gerd Osward directed.

8. Grant

No, Edward Madden (geologist) was part of that crew.

Also Robert Phillips (space officer) is alive from the Cage pilot.

9. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Captain Christopher Pike: Jeff Hunter November 25 1926 - May 27 1969
    !st Officer Number One: Majel Barrett Roddenberry February 23 1932 - December 18 2008
    Science Officer Spock: Leonard Nimoy March 26 1931
    Chief Medical Officer Phillip Boyce: John Hoyt September 15 1905 - September 15 1991
    Navigator Lt. José Tyler: Peter Duryea July 14 1939 - March 25 2013
    Yeoman J.M. Colt: Laurel Goodwin August 11 1942
    C.P.O. Garrison: Adam Roarke August 8 1937 - April 27 1996
    Couldn't find Ed Madden or Robert Phillips details

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. golddragon71

oops my bad! (In my defense though my Sister's kids are visiting and my Niece was doing her best at being a brat (which she not only is very good at but also considers the term to be a great compliment)
    so i was a tad distracted.

12. Grant

You couldn't find Edward Madden or Robert Phillips at memory Alpha or IMDB?

13. golddragon71

Madden didn't have much background (a rather stunted TV filmography that's about it) on IMDB and I don't use Memory Alpha all that much as for Phillips, I neglected to look him up as "Space Officer was a bit of a generic term and could have been applied to anyone in uniform on the ship (kinda like trying to find out who the girl was that passed Captain Pike when he was going to his quarters)

14. Grant

Well I won't hire you as a detective.........

Robert Phillips was the 'space officer' who tried to entice Pike to give up escape and take Vina in the Harem scene--I pointed out in my first post he wasn't a Enterprise crewman but a generic officer in Pike's illusion. Phiilips also stared as the 'bad MP' in the Dirty Dozen.

And Edward Madden didn't have much of a carrer it's true, but just because they're not as known as Nimoy end Goodwin doesn't mean they should jump in a grave and be counted as 'dead' by someone keeping track of the original pilot cast.