Hi, Im new here!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by LoneDragon, Mar 22, 2013.

1. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was never really a fan of the original series. I like the characters but I have a hard time getting into a show that is so old.

I have seen every episode of The Next Generation, and most of Voyager and Enterprise. I just started watching DS9 for the first time.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

in twenty more years, TNG will be just as "old" as TOS now seems. Old is relative. You should give TOS another chance.

DS9 is a great show, you're lucky to be just starting with it.

3. Landru47

Landru47 Ensign Red Shirt

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the new version of the old will be more to your liking?:)
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NztelRacqY8[/YT]

Welcome to the site!

5. LoneDragon

Thanks, eveyone!

Is there a way to make poll topics on this site? Im kind of interested in seeing who is the most popular doctor on a Star Trek series...though I wouldnt be able to choose between the EMH and Dr Phlox...

Or maybe a best Vulcan poll? T'Pol...:drool:

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Maybe you should get used to Julian before doing the poll.

7. LoneDragon

Yes, people keep assuring me that it gets better, but so far Bashir is my least favorite character on the show...well least favorite main...seems Jake has a larger role on the show than I would have given him...

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Enjoy the ride. I envy you.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first started watching DS9, I thought the same thing but, since the series is just so damn good, you really get to like him as he matures and gets some experience under his belt. I still think the Bashir/O'Brien relationship is the best friendship in Trek (sorry Kirk/Spock).

I hope you enjoy DS9 and welcome to the boards.

10. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

welcome. There is already a poll on here for who is the "best" Doctor. I think its in this forum; I resurrected it not to long ago.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone should watch TOS. If you love Trek, it's your history.

12. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Same here.
    I know every episode of the original series (TOS, TNG and Voyager and DS9 are on TV in Germany), but I`m not a fan of TOS. Yes, it`s too old for me.

I like TNG (I know every episode too), but only Voyager made me a Star Trek fan.
    I tried to get into DS9, I really did, but it didn`t happen.
    I don`t like the characters and I don`t like the storys. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  13. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG brought me into trek, and after that its successors. I could never manage to look at more than a few episodes of TOS consecutively at the time. Because it was so old, the pacing so slow, the technology and story ideas so dull .

By this 'dullness', I mean that TNG took a lot of concepts from TOS, and expanded on them. Having seen those TNG and DS9 versions first, the concepts in TOS looked old hat and unimaginative, even though I rationally knew they were the originals. Perhaps that's the same as when people keep preferring the music that was popular when they were teenagers, because that was the music they heard first, the 'real music'. Even though they often learn later that most of those were really ripoffs of yet earlier music.

Also, at that time, I was mainly into Trek because of its philosophical concepts and its technology. My interest for character interaction -in which TOS definitely outshines TNG and VOY- only came later.

It has only been in recent years that I've begun to see that there is something unique in TOS that has mostly been lost by the later series. If I were to put it into words, it would be the sense of friendship between Kirk, McCoy and Spock, as well as the sense of really being on an adventure to explore the great unknown galaxy, guided by ethical guidelines (interpreted freely at the Captain's disgression) instead of a lot of stuffy, constricting rules and political correctness (TNG).

On an unrelated note, I recently watched some early DS9, it seems I had really forgotten how incredibly irritating Julian was in the beginning :) Luckily, he grows to be much less so in later years :)

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Welcome. And wear a cup. The TrekBBS is a full-contact sport!

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you mean BillJ. What about the cakes and tea.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I must always fall asleep before cake and tea time. :lol:

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enjoy your tea, but remember you wouldn't have that luxury if TOD (The Original Drink) didn't come first. Tea is mostly a just a rehash of water anyway. It just has more flavor (whoop-dee-doo). And by the way, it's darker than water. I have a feeling the Creator of water wouldn't be too keen on that. Water was the first to quench thirst and will always be the best no matter how many concoctions come along. By the way, this fancy new bottled water is NOT the same, I don't care what the label says. "Natural spring water" in a silly plastic bottle? Puh-leeeze. Nothing will ever, ever quench my thirst like tap water.

18. dub

How do they make cake mix in the factory? I've always wondered that. Great to be on the board! :bolian:

19. dub

Google it.

20. dub

Uh, cakes and tea are awful. :rolleyes: That's obviously a fact. People partake in that crap because most people are dumb.