Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, May 7, 2011.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. this part fell flat. When it was clear they were speaking German i concentrated on the lip movements and indeed they did. The company didn't go to any length to try to make this something else and it would be pointless.. they did the best they could and ignored it. It's often enough that some english wordplay doesn't work in the german version for obvious reasons.. sometimes the studio tries to translate it (and fails to grasp the humor) and sometimes they come up with a fitting german substitute.. Good Morning Vietnam is an excelllent example of brilliant german dubbing and one of the rare dubbed movies where i like the german version nearly as much as the original.

Unfortunately most of my guys don't watch movies in the original english at the theatre so i was stuck seeing Django in German.. still great but i'm itching for the Blu Ray release to see it in the original language (and i'm pre-ordering and if need be pay full price because the movie is worth it).

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, difficult to retain the experience in fully dubbed German.
    They could have used an obscure 19th century German dialect hardly any Germans today still understand and subtitle those scenes. :D

3. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest question I have to which there probably has no answer is this:

Were Shultz and crew ever going to leave the plantation alive even if he shook Candies hand? I figured Candie had a hidden gun like we knew Shultz had but I wasn't and still am not sure how that event would have transpired. Probably the same regardless.

Then I have the same compliant as everyone else about how Django was treated once captured at the end of the third act. My gut is telling me he would have never made it out from underneath that book shelf and his wife would be trash regardless.

I did enjoy the movie and I didn't see any implied racism in it, perhaps the only 'bad' thing is that we can laugh at what the KKK really was....but that scene was funny.

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually found delightfully amusing the tongue-in-cheek nod to Birth Of A Nation, with the full dramatic orchestra as the Klan first ride down (too bad it wasn't "Ride of the Valkeries"...)--followed immediately by the side-splittingly hilarious "planning" sequence (which, as has been pointed out, feels straight out of Blazing)!

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Oh, I so loved this film, probably like no other QT movie since Dogs (when I first saw Pulp, I was actually a little disappointed by it). At turns brutal, funny, chilling, uplifting and moving. Never dull. Not a bad performance. At times, I nearly wet myself laughing (the Klansman and their hoods, Stephen's response when told Django would be sleeping in the big house), at times I was appalled by the cruelty onscreen (not by the depiction, but by the knowledge that things like this happened to real people).

I'm a Western fan anyway and just loved the soundtrack and the big vistas. The dialogue was top-notch as always but I think this may have been Quentin's finest outing as a director (not necessarily his best movie, just that his directing seemed even more capable than before).

I saw it last night, still the first month of the year, but it has to be a contender for movie of 2013.

6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They did fuck up the scene where Django finds Shultz' body in the staples. Instead of saying "Auf Wiedersehen", he simply says "Danke" (Thank you).

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Tarantino actually commented on this in an article on the HuffingtonPost, but Candie wasn't utterly unreasonable and would have sold her to them at far less than what Schultz eventually paid out to him.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^So of all the translations they mess up, it's one from the German?!

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Yeah. I guess they didn't quite grasp the importance of that phrase, even though Schultz had explained it's actual meaning earlier.
    It's probably because we use it all the time these days. Even to people we don't expect or want to see again.
    Schultz is a little bit guilty of that too as he said it to the Klansmen before blowing them up.

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The sequel to Django Unchained where he teams up with Zorro comes out tomorrow.

...as a 6-issue comic book series. And it's co-written by Quentin Tarantino himself.