Smallville#8-14: "Requiem" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Grade Requiem

1. SUPERMAN

7.1%
  2. Above Average

26.2%
  3. Clark Kent

38.1%
  4. Below Average

11.9%
  5. BIZARRO

16.7%
  1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I still don't get how Oliver got the toy into the truck in the first place.

So, Lex's Krypto ring, so either Lex is really dead, or Lex's mind is now in Oliver, or Lex is still alive and Oliver has his ring for some reason.

I'm guessing Lex's mind is in Oliver and it will be downloaded into a clone.

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Oh God, that's how they'll bring her back, a Mirror Universe Lana!

:alienblush:

3. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People,

The thing is, the "no kill" rule is a staple of most superhero characters, even Batman. To kill is not only breaking the First Commandment, it's the ultimate act of vigilantism. Even someone like Lex Luthor is entitled to due process. I must admit, if I had Clark's abilities, I'd be hard-pressed not to kill him either.

I liked the twist of Oliver supposedly killing Lex. Green Arrow has had dark impulses for some time, so it was interesting to see him violate that superhero rule I just mentioned. Of course, we all know Lex isn't gone! Is Oliver becoming Lex, figuratively or literally? Hmmm!

Oh, and I'm sure you heard Clark call that fellow Toyman! That was kind of cool.

Talk about revenge from beyond the grave. Have to say that forcing Lana to absorb the Kryptonite into her body, thereby ensuring she and Clark can't be together without him dying, is probably one of the most dastardly plots Lex has ever conceived.

No coming attraction? In reruns already? Geez!

My only other question is: Where the heck is Lois? I miss her!

Red Ranger

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It would be somewhat fitting and I remember in one of the comics that Lex developed technology to allow that.

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

One can hope.

:devil:

I'm going to take a break here and think about how I want to vote for this one.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Durance is only contracted for thirteen episodes a season.

7. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I miss Lois too.

That would be a cool twist if Lex is running around in Oliver's brain, but I'm thinking Lex probably downloaded his mind to someplace else. He has plans on top of plans.

8. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Guess now Clark's only sex options are his cousin. :eek:

Unless he want to tear Lois apart.

OMG they killed Dr. Fraiser again! You bastards!

Tired of the Lex shit. Doomsday, wake up already.

9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I've been wanting Clark to shag her for a long time now, cause if he doesn't I will :D

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Kara-Clark myspaced me!

Oliver-myspace is the new booty call

Kara-oh

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Okay, I confess, I was one of two who voted Clark Kent. I probably would've given it Above Average, if it weren't for all the Clana crap that was rammed down our thoughts. The Clark/Chloe/Ollie ethical discussions were well done, and I really enjoyed Winslow's character.

And Lex... Let's just say they shouldn't do this again until they can actually get Michael to return.

That's my .02 worth.

:techman:

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You know in that interview where Rosenbaum said it was a bit unfair to bring out a double?
    http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/ARTICLE.php?AID=20197
    It seems that with Rosenbaum out of the picture TPTB went wild with Lex.

They gave him a Kryptonite ring and comic book scheme that probably wouldn't have happened if Rosenbaum was in the picture

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I was Rosenbaum, I'd be mad that hired such a shitty actor as his "replacement." That guy was terrible.

I gave the episode a Clark Kent. It mired down in a really contrived and convoluted plot. I still don't know what the heck happened.

Then they had to go and complicate things by throwing one Lex red herring on top of another. Assuming that this is the last season, there are only a handful of episodes left. Things could get messy in that regard.

And the last scene has no emotional impact on me whatsoever. Zero. One one thing that, with a show I've invested so much time into, such a pivotal moment in the series would matter a little more. Instead I just yawned a couple of times and waited for the credits. Cést la vie.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

A fitting way to end Lana on the show.

At least until they bring her back for a guest shot. :p

I kinda liked the idea that she is completely full of Kryptonite, so Clark can't get near her. It is a somewhat neat bookend as Lana had the necklace (which they mentioned - bonus) at the beginning of the season which made it hard for Clark to get near her.

And Lex blew up. Riiiiight. He'll be back.

Oh lord, I hope not. Besides being incredibly cheesy (even by Smallville standards), it wouldn't make any logical sense (ie. how did that happen), and it would be an almost direct rehash of the Brainic story arc we just had a few episodes ago.

With the option for more as wanted/needed, iirc.

He sat in a chair with his face more-or-less obscured for his entire three scenes and had only like 2 lines. I wouldn't call him terrible as he didn't really do much of anything to show off any acting talent.

Yeah...that could have been a really great scene, and I think both of the actors could have pulled it off well enough. However, the direction in it just seemed really, really clunky and awkward.

EDIT: One last question: Who was Lana working for anyway? In her first episode back, after she talked to Oliver, she got a text message from someone asking something along the lines of "Did he believe you?" Who was that? It was never explained.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I agree it felt full circle.

16. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whether she can run that fast, the suit can't make her think that fast, or be able to see things that fast, like a bullet.

She should have missed that bullet last week, and she should run into walls, cars, trucks, small children, etc whenever she tries to move because there's no way her mind could process the thought to change directions that instantly.

It's actually a bit of a stretch that Clark can, considering how slow witted they often protray him. He should actually be able to think at super speed as well, even when he's just standing there staring at a kryptonite bomb, he should be able to run every possibility through his head in a second, for example using his heat vision to blast each individual circuit at super speed before the detonator can be activated.

Of course, if he'd thought of that at super speed we'd still be stuck with Lana.

I hated this episode, not just because it was Clana, but because of what it meant for Clark.

Clark was never in love with Lana, he had a high school fantasy crush on someone he thought was perfect. He never grew up and saw her flaws, and never loved her as flawed human being the way an adult would, she was always his perfect fantasy princess.

Taking her away is like taking the toys away from a child. He's not growing up and growing out of adolescent perfect princess love, he's just going to hang onto that memory forever.

A half dozen episodes ago, he was on the verge of an adult relationship with Lois, someone who he can see her human flaws and yet love her anyway. He tossed her aside carelessly and went back to being Lana's puppy. For him to go crawling back to Lois now would be ridiculous. For Lois to take him back after he ditched her for the princess would be absurd.

He should have seen her at the wedding, said hi, and then gone back to dancing with Lois. They should have managed an adult friendship and left it at that. Lana should have then been transformed into Insect Girl.

This is worse than season 4.

17. Starwind

Starwind Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joke's on Lex. He thinks he's ruined Clark's life forever by separating him from Lana. But this just means he can move on to better things. When he does, this relationship will mean Squat. Just because there was no closure NOW doesn't mean he can't realize it later. I've been there myself.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Clark, Lex may have just killed 100,000 people, but you saved who you are by not killing him! It doesn't matter how many more people he kills as long as you feel better about yourself inside."

19. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

The writers definitely took a step back with this bland storyline. All this to get rid of a character that was gone already. Clark was moving on. Now what? Can't exactly do Clark and Lois now because we've got to deal with mopey Clark. And what about Doomsday? There were on-going storylines that got derailed for Lana's return visit. So frustrating. This show was kicking before the break.

20. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More importantly people........who was the actress that played that nurse?!

But overall I thought the episode was not bad. A good mix of romance and possible conclusion to Lex. Truly a shame that it seems it can't work out between Lana and Clark.............time to bring Lois back! Clark will be back to his player ways in no time.