SHATNERVERSE CANNON???

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bionicbob, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Don't make me send the monkeys after you....

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hmmm...I might just pass that on to Bonz...:evil:

3. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Don't let your mouth make promises that the rest of you can't keep.

You, of ALL people, should know better than to throw down like that with me in earshot. :evil:

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

You're saying this in a thread that includes an ex-Marine, a brown belt in karate, and a woman trained in the use of a quarterstaff and sword, not to mention Mack (who'd, I dunno, burp on your or something), and that's just your colleagues. This is the textbook definition of tempting fate, me boyo..... :D

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I have a black belt in Origami.

I also know karate, jujitsu, tai kwan do - and many other Asian words.

6. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought those were gravy stains.

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

No, you hoped those were gravy stains.

8. David Henderson

David Henderson Commodore Commodore

Ex-Marine? I didn't think there was such a thing...

davidh

9. KRAD

Good point.

Recovering Marine, maybe? :)

10. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I agree.. last thing we need are some bozo blowhards quelling the natural questions a new fan is going to have...

KEEP asking your questions, if you're a new person. The funny thing is? Even these old 'geezer' fans don't even agree on anything, so I DO like the interesting arguements that come out of question like these..

As for your question? Since SHATNER's books outsell ALL THE OTHER books? I consider HIS universe more canon than the other ones (though DS9's relaunch is very good too)

Rob
    Scorpio

11. KRAD

They do? Really? And your evidence to support that is....?

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And you know that how?

13. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

It was put out there some time back after his second or third book. Not sure where, but I do remember reading it. If you have numbers that can prove otherwise that would be cool. If they didn't think they could sell they wouldn't keep letting him write them..so they must be selling.

So if anyone out there has the numbers, let us know. How do his books and the other books measure up?

Rob

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I read it out there. I am sure it was an article I read in the NEW YORK TIMES sometime back, I think after his second book and before the third book. This was sometime back, and the article was PRing his third book.

I am willing to bet that ASHES TO EDEN out sold all of the CRUCIBLE books combined...I may be wrong...but ASHES did pretty good as I recall.

Rob

15. Defcon

But most likely not from an official source, since Pocket Books doesn't release their sales numbers (and never have AFAIK).

Of course they must have sold well enough in the past, since he has now written ten novels and I doubt he would have gotten farther than the original trilogy if they hadn't (Although it seems they aren't selling that well anymore, since the line seems to be on hold at the moment).

But anyway, that's not what you originally said, you said he outsells every other book and you still haven't presented any substantial proof for that.

ETA:

Again I doubt that was an official statement by Pocket Books, most likely it was Shatner himself, and I doubt he even knows how well other novels are selling.

16. Dayton Ward

That *may* have been true at one time, but if your information's based on the second or third book, that was more than a decade ago. Times change.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  17. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Here we go again...Nerdy fans, like you, expecting someone, like me, to come up with detailed answers to something I read years ago. If you think I am making it up, then fine..but I am not. You are the same kind of fan Shatner said to get a life to...

Now..follow along. Shatner goes on every talk show promoting his books when they come out. He is on Leno, he is on Letterman, he is on Regis, he is on Conan, when his new books come out. Then he does news papers and Time Magazine articles, radios spots, Stern, Coast To Coast, I even heard him on NFL SIRIUS sattlelite Radio (which everyone should get)...

And because of all that ability to hock his product it sells. I am willing to bet that Ashes to Eden out sold ALL of the Crucible books combined. I can't prove it, and many of you anti-shatner fans don't want it to be true, but its just simple mathmatics of the business.

Rob
    canary

18. Dayton Ward

^ Now, see, this is why I love new posters. Always keepin' it fresh :D

19. Defcon

a) So asking you to back something up you stated as if it was a fact, now is nerdy? :techman:

b) Your original statement was in present tense, so I had to assume you're speaking of the present. I'm not a mind reader, so how I should know that you're using a decade old newspaper PR article (read commercial, and we all know that they always tell the truth) you obviously don't remember that well as your source.

:guffaw: The guy whose only purpose in life seems to be spamming a Star Trek message board is telling me to get a life. I guess you don't know the saying with the glasshouse and the stones.

If you even had read my post, you would know that I agreed with you that they most likely sold well.

See, had you used a sentence like that from the start nobody had said anything.

Have I ever said I was an "anti-shatner" fan?
    Granted, I don't like his novels that much, but for example I like him as an actor on Boston Legal and think he is funny and entertaining in the interviews I have seen of him.

20. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

In that case, the Commodore 64 outsells all other personal computers! I saw it once out there...