8X01 "Deep Breath" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Grade "Deep Breath"

Poll closed Oct 2, 2014.
  1. Scottish!

52 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Good

74 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. I miss Matt Smith

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Can you speak Horse?

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well before taking a long drink, my voice can be pretty horse. :techman:

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's something of an issue I picked up on in the episode. When Strax is performing a medical scan on Clara, his device indicates her age is 27. Which means she's aged since The Bells of St John. So far this is actually surprisingly consistent, since The Bells of St John does take place in 2013, this would mean she's now from 2016, which does place Day of the Doctor after The Power of Three thereby explaining how the Doctor and Kate Stewart know each other. How ever, the issue I'm having is that this means Clara somehow got an education degree and steady teaching job in three years, which seems a ridiculously short time. Thoughts?

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

She interrupted her studies to become a nanny for a while, and resumed them after that.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I get why they'd look different. But, i've seen the episode twice, and I didn't hear any reference to The Girl in The Fireplace :shrug:They also didn't seem to have the same agenda. It makes more sense for them not to be related, anyway, so that's the theory I'm going with, since I was listening for a reference to the other robots and heard no reference to them. Maybe there was a line of dialog that people interpreted weirdly (he may have said the robots looked familiar to them, and I think he guessed what era they were actually from, but that's not even close to confirming they're the same ones from the 10th Doctor era), but unless he directly said something like "These robots are the exact same ones that were stalking that one woman I met two incarnations ago", and I definitely didn't hear that, saying they're the same sounds like a fan theory, so that's how I'll take it.

Its not a big deal, but I didn't hear it in two viewings, and it makes more sense that the two very different sets of robots with totally different goals aren't the same.

6. The Mirrorball Man

Watch it a third time, it's there.

7. kirk55555

Not unless someone stealth edited it into the broadcast. Unless he directly says it, and he definitely didn't, it makes more sense for them to be separate.

Again, its not a big deal, I just think its a weird conclusion to jump to. It makes more sense that Moffat just made new robots up for The Doctor to fight.

8. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Huh? The Doctor reads "sister ship of the Madame d'Pompadour" (or however it's spelled) off of those little glass containers. At approx 59min30secs. Pretty much directly says it.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Frau Blucher

10. The Mirrorball Man

He definitely did.

11. kirk55555

I remember that line. It didn't strike me as a reference at the time, but I guess its a vague one. Still, he wasn't really definitive. I figured he just guessed at it (why would an item have that written directly on it? It sounded like he just guessed), and one line of vague dialog isn't enough for me. I prefer my idea, and unless a version of the episode comes about with him saying something much more definitive (like "I haven't seen robots like you since I fought your compatriots and stopped them from stalking a woman years ago in my 10th incarnation"), it still doesn't make much sense to connect the two very different sets of robots. If that was Moffat's intention, he should have been more clear.

Its not a big deal, I'm not going to get into an argument about it. I don't consider them to be the same, or that there was any good evidence of them being the same in the episode. You're welcome to believe what you want. To me, its a minor point not worth spending too much time on :shrug:

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...and we see it onscreen before he says it:

[​IMG]

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Vague" works much better than the long winded, our audience must be stupid, type exposition you suggested.

14. The Mirrorball Man

Plus there was nothing vague about it. It was the Doctor's best guess, yes, but it was a straightforward reference.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It references an episode in which the Doctor encountered the same kind of Droids.

He looks at a piece of tech he pulls from their ship and seems to read "sister ship of the Madame de Pompadour".

The Doctor is 2000 years old and it's shortly after his regeneration where his brain is all fuzzy. He confuses Strax for Clara so obviously he can't pull out the facts easily.

Well technically they aren't since the Doctor gave the whole changing the Broom stick speech. But for all intents and purposes they are.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Says so on the fuse thingy that The Doctor reads off from. [​IMG]

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He literally spoke of robots harvesting tissue/organs as sounding familiar..... That's basicly the plot of The Girl In The Fireplace......
    It's a bloody fact, not an opinion, that it was a reference. SISTERSHIP!!! AS IN BELONGING TO THE SAME CLASS!!!!!

18. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

It was an honest reaction on my part. Your reaction is merely a bonus. [​IMG]

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Assuming Clara had already been to university and already had a degree (and I don't recall anything to suggest she didn't) then she would need to undertake a PGCE, which is a one year Masters course for graduates. At the end of that year she could get a job as a teacher so it's perfectly reasonable to assume that in the space of three years she's become a teacher, so long as she'd already been to University of course.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

She barely knew how to use a computer in 2011.

Unless she handwrote all her course work, it's unlikely went to university.