The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Pondslider

Pondslider Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Exactly...the movies were never about expolration. Even in the original series expolration was just the plot device to examine other topics.

5. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

No one will care whether or not Mitchell has a different accent. He was in ONE episode. Why would he suddenly have a different background? Different universe maybe? Possibly? They make have superficial similarities to the prime-universe counterparts, that's where it ends.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

7. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

8. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Well if Benicio Del Toro was hired to play the role as originally intended, he would have had a accent other than British or American. We would have had a villain with a Puerto Rican accent.

9. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, not sure what to make of this.

Alice Eve's character does bear a striking resemblance to Dr. Dehner, which might suggest Gary Mitchell as the villain. But she could also be a young Carol Marcus, which might suggest Khan, though there is a tangential connection to Mitchell there as well.

My biggest problem with Mitchell as the villain is that he requires too much backstory. I'm sorry, but the IDW comic doesn't count. I'm a pretty big Trek fan and even I haven't read it; general audiences certainly will not have. I've seen no indication that the events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" are going to be retold in this film, and Mitchell just isn't going to make a lot of sense to the uninformed without it. Although, I wouldn't put it past Orci and Kurtzman to do it in some big, heavy-handed expository flashback like they did with Nero and his motivations in the last one.

Another strike against Mitchell is that there is no indication of his god-like powers shown in this teaser trailer. Yes, he obviously has some superhuman strength and other abilities, but no glowing eyes, no telekinetic powers or anything along those lines. Granted, it's only a 63 second trailer and it's possible he has lost most of those powers for some reason, but you have to make a lot of assumptions to believe that he is Gary Mitchell and none to assume that he isn't.

As for the Khan idea, I see nothing here to suggest that other than superhuman strength (hardly conclusive) and the final scene in the Japanese trailer that is reminiscent of WoK. Aside from that, Cumberbatch bears no resemblance whatsoever to the character of Khan who, I must point out, long predates the events that altered the timeline and should therefore remain virtually unchanged. Doesn't mean Abrams and the gang didn't just throw all that out the window, but they virtually tied themselves into knots trying to rationalize the changes in the first movie so that doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would do in this one.

I suppose the villain could be a totally new character. There are so many good characters in Star Trek lore to choose from, though, that I tend to discount that theory until proven otherwise. To me this would be a bit like Nolan deciding to create an entirely new villain for the second Batman movie instead of the Joker. I just think it's more likely they would go with an established character, which actually argues in favor of Khan as someone even non-Trekkies are more likely to recognize, but I've already stated my argument against that one.

So who does that leave? Well, the official synopsis states, "When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis." That sounds to me like the villain is someone from within Starfleet, corroborated by his numerous appearances in Starfleet uniform, sitting in the captain's chair of a starship, etc. He's also someone who's carrying a serious grudge about something he wants revenge for against Starfleet, Earth et al. There are a few people who fit that bill, including Ben Finney, Captain Ron Tracy, and of course Fleet Captain Garth of Izar. Neither of the first two strike me as epic villain material and neither of them had any kind of superhuman strength or special abilities.

Garth, on the other hand, did have those kinds of abilities. He was an epic character from the start, Starfleet's most decorated hero until he suffered some kind of nearly fatal accident and basically went insane. The Antosians repaired his body with their cellular metamorphosis techniques but apparently couldn't fix his brain. To me, this sounds like the perfect setup for an epic movie villain, with a few easily explainable modifications. I don't imagine he would be quite as loopy and batsh!t crazy as he was in TOS, but definitely megalomaniacal and hell-bent on avenging himself against Starfleet for having him committed to the looney-bin. Or maybe they'll change things up a little this time and have him captured by Klingons and imprisoned on Rura Penthe, where a fellow Antosian prisoner nurses him back to health. Maybe he was on a covert mission for Starfleet and then disavowed after he got caught, and now he wants to get even. Lots of ways they could play it.

So I'm sticking with my Captain Garth theory. Not as recognizable as Khan would be, but the fans will know him and he can be easily introduced to the non-fans without a lot of backstory or exposition. Garth wasn't British per se, but if I had to pick from any of the choices thus far presented on the basis of who Cumberbatch seems most reminiscent of, it would be Garth.

Maybe the longer trailer or the nine-minute preview will prove me wrong, but he's my pick until then.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Janice was in Red. This chick is in blue. Conclusion, not Janice.

11. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

In the first pic Alice Eve character is not in a normal starfleet uniform, any idea's on this ?

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's one of the new formal uniforms used in the film. You see Scotty wearing it too when he hugs Uhura for example.
    [​IMG]

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Late to the party as ever. Errrr...that trailer is a bit generic, isn't it? I havent been allied with the haters till now, but apparently Cumberbatch is playing Magneto! :rommie:

Sure, Star Trek isnt "really" about exploration, but it should be about threats in outer space. Plus, Magneto already detonated San Francisco, do we really need this schitck again?

Hopefully that trailer looks like Star Trek Into Generic Summer Action movie because it's selling the movie to the unwashed masses who just want to see the next Avengers or Transformers and the stuff for the fans was left out of the trailer but will make it into the movie itself.

Right??? :eek:

15. Temis the Vorta

It's a reasonable viewpoint but it also occurred to me at Abrams could rewrite his alt history so that the Eugenics Wars gave people superhuman mutant X-Men powers and Khan is more like Magneto in this timeline. Which isn't a particularly interesting thing to do to poor Khan, may as well stick with Mitchell, he's already closer to the idea of a power-mad superhuman with delusions of godhood.

16. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

First, I have to say that even though that's only about a minute long, I LOVE what I'm seeing!

My theory on the line in the Japanese part with Cumberbatch's character asking about family, it may tie in with the other scene in the trailer with Kirk addressing the group (at Starfleet?) Kirk may have said something there about him realizing Starfleet being like a big family or something, and the villain using those words against Kirk.

If the assembly and the Missing Man Formation are connected, it has to be for someone with some kind of stature in Starfleet. I'm leaning toward Garth if so, because something like that may not be standard for Lt. Gary Mitchell.

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I checked it just now and it's still "madness". Haven't read this entire thread, though.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Unless the TWOK parallels go all the way to offing Spock.

19. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it itime for a caption contest?

[​IMG]

Kirk:
    "Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels... his was the most... human."

20. Temis the Vorta

What backstory? He was on a Starfleet mission, fell afoul of "something" out there, and turned into Anakin Skywalker, but hopefully more cool/less whiny.

It's easy to telescope Mitchell's backstory into a short snippet that the audience can understand. And since the vast majority of the audience has never heard of Gary Mitchell, Cumberbatch's accent is no issue. It's a fine Hollywood tradition to have villains with British accents. We get to fight the Revolution all over again each summer, just in time for the Fourth of July! :)

But if they wanna call him Lord Garth, fine by me. Shit, they could even call him Khan. Whoever he is, they're changing his bio anyway.