Court Martial - Ion Pod revisited

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MarsWeeps, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

So, I just watched the remastered version of Court Martial. Once again, I have to say the remastered effects are excellent. I don't understand why people think they are so awful. They can't make them look like modern day effects because they wouldn't match up with the rest of the shots. Instead of seeing the same old stock footage, it's good to see effects that are more specific to the story.

Now, I did a search and see that this subject has been talked to death so I really don't want to re-hash all the same ideas and I know resurrecting old threads will get them locked.

I just wanted to mention that while this was a good dramatic episode, the whole "Jettison the Ion Pod" concept is as confusing today as it was back in the 70's when I saw it it re-runs. It seems the writers did not adequately explain the purpose of an Ion pod, or more importantly, why it had to be jettisoned in order to save the ship. I'm still baffled by the whole thing.

I do like the remastered shots that shows where the Ion pod was located (near the shuttle bay) and the "hole" in the side of the ship where it's obvious the pod was jettisoned.

[​IMG]

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

In the original series there was a fast blinking running light at the same spot (installed after the pilot films on the 11' VFX model).

In fly-by VFX and the like featuring the 11 footer in its regular series condition, it's easy to spot (just stating plain facts, nothing else). ;)

Bob

3. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have no problem with that aspect of the story. Screen time is limited, and it's not necessary to explain everything for the sake of suspension of disbelief. Even Kirk brushes off the explanation as common knowledge, "Everyone here in this court knows the dangers involved."

I simply took the situation at face value—what was done was necessary, though risky, and involved split-second timing. Opening "ports" in a firewall is also necessary, yet increases risk.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although I still have no idea what an iod pod is or does, I wish they'd gone with the old Star Fleet Officer's Manual's idea of what and where the ion pod was, rather than some random part in one side of the ship:
    [​IMG]

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The big one for me is the particular shade of grey they used for the Enterprise's hull color.

What I took from the story is that the mere presence of the pod, while in the storm, was endangering the ship in some fashion. It would seem obvious (imo) that Finney was physically in the pod doing something.

Whether the hole/burn on the aft of the secondary hull is supposed to indicate the pod's previous location, or is just some of the damage from the storm ...YMMV.

:)

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

People think the FX are awful because they look like a video game from 2000. So, if the intent was to make something that matches, video game FX had the opposite effect, and only call greater attention to the mistakes.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Except they do look like modern cgi effects, as plain as day. And as such they are jarring next to the remaining live action footage. Also they made shots that simply couldn't have been done in 1966-69 and that's another dead giveaway.

9. MarsWeeps

I don't see it that way at all. I think they did a great job blending in.

Uh...that was the whole point of remastering it, creating effects that they didn't have the ability or budget to do in the 60's.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And thereby pissed off a lot of folks who were fine with the way the f/x were as well as pissed on the artistic integrity of the original creators.

Secondly when are people going to understand that what was done was not remastering. The episodes had already been digitally remastered some years before for DVD release. What was done in TOS-R was replacing the original f/x, not remastering them.

For those who like the video arcade look then goody for them.

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, they were actually remastered again after the mastering that was done for the original DVD releases years ago. So they were remastered *and* had new effects added.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought that the ion pod should have been on a boom that extended out from the ship, say "below" the secondary hull, the reason for the extension being to get beyond the shields for accurate scans.

The hand waving that I've read elsewhere, that buildup of static charge would provide a "reason" to have to jettison the pod, is as convincing as anything in Star Trek.

As to why the pod had to be manned, perhaps one thing the officer did was carry back the record tapes of all the scans, as the effects of the storm made high-bandwidth transmission of the data across the boom impossible. Perhaps Starfleet computer control circuits also proved unreliable, so the instruments had to be controlled manually according to changing conditions in the storm.

13. F. King Daniel

Yeah, it looks like the default, flat grey that's found in MS Paint and Photoshop. The ship always looked very white to me in the original FX - and I grew up reading it described as such (and pictured on the covers) in the old novels. Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise even mentions Starfleet deciding not to add the usual layer of paint to the Enterprise after the TMP refit since it's stark, metallic look was so awe-inspiring.

Fascinating, thank you. So they did go by an old fanzine's speculation - just a different fanzine to the SFOM.

14. MarsWeeps

Oh that's nonsense. If people are so pissed off, they don't have to watch it, the originals still exist. I'm surprised those same people haven't committed mass suicide after JJ rebooted the series.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Not at all. I know a lot of people who haven't bought TOS-R (including me) and we're perfectly content with our earlier season sets.

New isn't always better particularly when the new overall is mediocre. And don't get me started about the crapfest that is JJ Trek. Not a single frame or idea worth a damn as he shit all over TOS.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll buy the TOS-R Blu-rays when the whole set drops below $30US. Are we there yet?

17. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If a work is altered that much, why even pretend that it is the "same" thing? (Because it's an alternate universe! :drool:) Why not give the characters all new names and the work a title of its own? This goes for many of the spin-off TV series.

The answer? Franchise. Stamp "STAR TREK" on it, and there's a built-in audience that will gobble it up, no matter how bad it is.

18. F. King Daniel

Why resurrect Star Trek, Superman, Sherlock Holmes or anything? Because there's some intangible awesomeness in seeing something you loved being given new life. Each to their own, but I loved Abrams' Trek reboot and thought he captured the sprit of fun and adventure from TOS and the classic movies. I actually vastly prefer the modern versions Sherlock Holmes' to the classics. As a kid I loved the old Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve, and I recently very much enjoyed watching through Smallville from beginning to end. Recognizable characters in new situations. Love it.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Pretty much.

20. MarsWeeps

Hardly. There wasn't a whole lot of gobbling going on with Star Trek: Nemesis. In fact, that abortion pretty much ended the prime timeline movies.

Like it or not, JJ's reboot made the most money out of all the Trek movies and JJ himself stated that he did not set out to make a movie for the fans, he wanted to bring in a whole new audience, which he did.

There were a lot of things that I didn't like about the movie but if it keeps Trek alive, then there's nothing wrong with that.