MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Seriously? I thought they would have avoided making him that powerful that soon.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Oh boy, it's a versus thread!!!!!

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Indeed I would like to know the issue number so I can confirm this. Or post an image of it XD. The only New52 comics i own are the Justice League vol 1 and Superman Men of Steel.

4. M.A.C.O.

Found it New 52 Superman issue 14 They Will Join You in The Sun. Funny how this Superman is just starting out and is supposed to be the same strength if not weaker than his previous incarnation and this one issue says screw that noise and has Supes do some ridiculous BS like this.

[​IMG]

Made all the more distressing by the fact that Orm/Ocean Master and Vulko another Atlantian have no problems laying into the bench pressing, Earth New52 Superman. Comic writers have no consistency.

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And still no Superman vs Goku

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

More like the DC editors have no consistency :p

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

IIRC, Superman as of that issue has been active for a few years, also it's on the next page after that one that the Doctor helping him test his limits notices the single bead of sweat forming on his brow.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Byrne era Superman could travel much faster than the speed of sound by the early nineties. In the Reign of the Superman, he says something like he could fly from Metropolis to Coast City in six minutes. That's what? Mach 10?

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Crank this thread up to 9000!

10. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

A-

I sooo wanna go higher. Because I really, really enjoyed it. A true cinema movie, made toe watched in theaters. But my main problem with is that it feels like an intro for so long. It's a great fucking intro. But still, an intro. And that's a bit of an issue when you're over an hour into it. Understandable when it's a brand new origin, but even so.

Granted, that is pretty much my issue with it. Great, great casting all around. Henry Cavill was awesome as Supes, look forward to see him balance Clark Kent vs Superman in the next one. Oh, also loved that they basically imply that Lois already knows who he is when he turns up at The Planet at the end. Glad they cut trough that stupid crap.

Michael Shannon I think really owned Zod and nailed him being a maniac who does what he does because he believes it is the right thing to do for his people. Antje Trau was awesome and oh so sexy as Faora, and fun seeing Richard Schiff again.

Biggest casting coup though in my opinion: Kevin Costner. Costner so nails Pa Kent that it gave me shivers. The scene with the tornado where he just holds up his hand to stop Clark from revealing his powers and let him go...powerful stuff. I got kinda choked up when i saw that. I'll be recommending the movie to people, but what I will always mention is Costner.

As for the destruction towards the end of the movie....I'd heard all this hubbub about it so expected a lot more then what was actually in the movie. And to be honest, I wasn't that bothered.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    My wife and I really liked Costner too. The scene when Clark asks if he should have let his friends die and Costner responds "I don't know" was really well done, for example. In the movie it wasn't cold like in the trailers, but more of a man who is really struggling to figure out what is best for Clark and the world that he will inhabit. And even though I saw the scene in the trailers, when he says "you are my son" it really held emotional impact in the context of the story.

The best part is, thanks to the flashback structure, Costner can return in future movies.

12. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, that was a great scene. Costner really sold how hard it must be to have to say something like that to your kid. And yeah, the "You are my son" bit was great.

I hadn't thought about the flashback structure like that. I do hope the use that opportunity, I really do think he was such a strong part of the movie.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Costner was fantastic. I hope we see more of him in the sequel.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thor held his own in a comic against one Kryptonian.

I counted more than one tearing up Metropolis in Man Of Steel.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

For me, no, but that's been the conclusion for Superman since the old radio series where the concept was invented.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I loved the flashback structure in this movie, I'm not sure I really want to see more of it in a sequel. It made sense here because he was feeling lost and conflicted, and his reflecting back on his parents and childhood helped give us some important insight into his character.

But by this point I think we need to see him focusing more on the present and where he's at now, and feeling a lot more sure of himself and his role in the world. Instead of constantly looking back to the past like before.

And of course if he does need advice, he can always still visit his mother.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this has made more than half a billion dollars worldwide now.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, as I said earlier in the thread, my only complaint about the destruction was that it went on and on for fifteen years without end. They could've cut about 30-40 minutes of that out and the movie wouldn't have lost a thing.

Otherwise, I agree, it was a fine film. Not as good as the Donner movies, but, what could be?

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It was more than a hint, she does know.

If they go the Dark Knight route, we won't be getting a lot of flashbacks.

I'm sure the Jor-El program is still around. Can't delete him that easily.

With a lot of movies crossing the billion-dollar mark, $523 million feels weak to me. At least it has a shot at being in the top 100 though.

20. M.A.C.O.

It's made more than in a little over two weeks than Superman Returns did in 19 weeks. Somewhere in the world Bryan Singer is crying himself to sleep. $500 was the bar MoS had to clear in order to be considered to be a success to Warner Bros. I suspect MoS may final total at $700 million worldwide. It's a step in the right direction. Even though it's not perfect.