MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I disagree with you about Keith being a good color guy, no biggie. I wish the Mets would start shying away from the 86 Mets. It's a smoke screen to diffuse people from seeing the real issues with the Mets.

I just can't stand Tajada any more. Another error tonight, picked off second base and then not even diving to try and keep the ball in the infield.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

People will live.

Throwing at someone's head is an inexcusable act, no matter what.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm enjoying the series with the Jays. I've got some theories why this team is underperforming and most of it stems from bad pitching, especially in the middle of the pen. They have some guys that I think could lock down the 8th and 9th but they have trouble getting there sometimes. The Jays can slug with anybody though which will keep them around for awhile.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Cubs' Fujikawa to have Tommy John surgery, out for year & possibly some of 2014.

Story

god dammit

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're intentionally trying to bean their head, I'll agree. If you're throwing up and in to get them off the plate because they're crowding it, that's completely justifiable.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think it's justifiable to even intentionally create a risk of hitting someone's head. If he was trying to get him to back off the plate by throwing near his head and actually hit his head, you would find that to be ok?

I generally don't have a problem with players pegging other players, but I do have a problem with them doing it in the head.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then they shouldn't crowd the plate. Sure it shrinks down the strike zone a lot. But you're also exposing yourself a lot more. You have no cause to complain about getting pitched inside if you're doing that.

Sure it's terrible that people get hit in the head, accidents happen, sometimes a ball gets away. It's part of the risk of the game, just as much as it is getting hit by a sharp line drive. I would say it's very rarely that someone intentionally goes out there with the attitude "I'm going to bean him in the head."

8. Timby

And Arodys Vizcaino, once considered one of the best pitchers in the Braves' system and who was the centerpiece of the deal that sent Paul Maholm there, has had surgery to remove a calcium deposit in his elbow, and he's out for the season, after not pitching at all in 2012 due to Tommy John.

The Cubs will never develop a good pitcher.

9. Use of Time

Would I find it justifiable to pitch inside to a player crowding the plate? Yes and so would just about any coach under the sun from high school up to the show. I'm with you about not aiming for the head but if you are saying to avoid pitching inside to completely erase the possibility of a head shot then you would probably not make it out of high school as a pitcher. Its extremely rare that a pitcher ever deliberately aims for the head so I find this concern somewhat unwarranted.

10. Timby

I'm not entirely sure I buy into this idea 100 percent. The "unwritten rules" of baseball are complete and utter bullshit, yet there are a lot of man-children in MLB. (Carlos Quentin being a great example, despite not being a pitcher.) Hell, Kerry Wood, one of my favorite Cubs of all time, loved throwing at people, and especially above the shoulders.

I'll never forget being horrified by my high school pitching coach. During one pitching staff meeting, he showed us the whole "They pull a knife? You pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue" bit from The Untouchables, and told us that we'd run flagpoles (we used the scrimmage football field as our "practice" field; we had to run between the field goal posts multiple times if our performance in a game or our practice wasn't quite up to par) if we didn't plunk someone hard if one of our batters got hit. That's bullshit, and it's a dangerous trait to be instilling in young players, but I really doubt Coach Lou was / is the only person espousing this behavior.

11. Use of Time

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. Players still retaliate but that is rarely directed towards the head of a player. I'm not even arguing how stupid the unwritten "eye for an eye" rule is. I'm just saying that avoiding going inside just to avoid the possibility of hitting someone in the head is an unenforceable and unnecessary concept.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Mets somehow complete the subway series sweep tonight, I will jizz strikeouts and shit homers.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only time I'd ever not root for the Mets is a Subway Series. :p

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Juan Fransisco has been designated for assignment. <_<
    Just grand.

15. Timby

Juan Francisco sucks, so this isn't exactly a net loss for the Braves. Sucks on defense, very weak at the plate (his SLG is just embarrassing), a pretty ridiculous K/BB ratio ... yeah, not a loss in the slightest.

16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You don't root against the Mets, you root FOR the Yankees. Rooting against a team means you have no confidence in your team.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Good point. Much better choice of phrase than I had. :lol: Edited my last post accordingly...

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no confidence in my team and I still root for them.

Been going back to the same tired well for 26 years. I should know better.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

And before somebody asks me for the 1,000,000,000th time how I can be a fan of both the Yankees and the Mets: I simply have a touristy obsession with New York City (which predates my attachment to baseball), and thus I root for both teams that are from there. If I was into football, I'd root for the Giants and Jets. Etc.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

But neither the Giants or the Jets are from New York City. :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.