MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes on both counts.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

So what did you do during the World Series of 2000. Just sit back and hope for 7. That must have been pretty awesome. No stress. You're a winner wither way.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I wasn't into baseball back then. I only started getting heavily into it, about 2007.

4. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a Mets fan in college in the Bronx during all of that. Those were dark days.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I suggest a full exorcism, with Phil Hughes as the sacrifice to Satan.

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, look what I found for you.

[​IMG]

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My Angels seem to have finally joined us....

:techman:

8. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inside-the-park walk off homer yesterday for Pagan for a 6-5 Giants win vs. the Rockies. Most exciting play I've seen since the WS last year. And I'm going to the game today. :)

9. Timby

I'm just going to go ahead and declare that inside-the-park walk-off dingers are The Best Dingers.

All who challenge this will be banned.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last time that happened was 2004, against the Rockies of all teams. Because the whole No-Hitter thing has become slightly overrated, the Inside the Park home run is now the best thing in Baseball. To have it be a walk off puts it almost on Perfect Game levels.

11. 1001001

Well, let's not go nuts.

It's certainly a rare and exciting play. But it's still just one play.

I would argue it's not even in the same league as getting 27 outs in a row.

Still, congrats on a very cool way to win.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

So what would happen if an inside-the-park walk-off dinger was witnessed by the Dinger Machine?

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is though that the Perfect game isn't as rare as it used to be. We've seen in the last couple of years a Perfect game (Some unofficial Perfect games too, like the one in Detroit), yet the last time we saw an inside the park walk off home run was 9 years ago. I would say considering the direction the game has taken (towards more of the pitcher), getting a perfect game isn't as hard as it used to be. Granted, it's still quite an achievement, but when you say the inside the park home run is just one play, well it's one play that doesn't happen nearly as much. That's why I put them "almost" on the same level. Both are hard, but for different reasons, but the Inside the Park is a lot more rare.

14. 1001001

Lots of things are rare in baseball. A third strike passed ball that ends up with a runner on first, for example. A triple play. A hit batter with the bases loaded. Stealing home.

An inside the park home run is usually due to a lucky bounce (as was the one by Pagan).

That's not nearly the same as getting every batter out in a 9 inning game.

I'm not saying it isn't exceptional, but one play vs. 9 innings is really no contest. A completely different level.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, an inside the park homerun is impressive, but it falls under things like Unassisted Triple Plays that are still just one-time things, not a sustained achievement.

The only comparable offensive stat to a perfect game I can think of is hitting for the cycle and, to be honest, that's an odd stat that rewards achieving less. Four homeruns is more important than hitting for the cycle. In fact, hitting any homerun that bats in more than yourself is technically more important. It's only the precision of doing things that is praised there.

16. Timby

Imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

17. 1001001

Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

:techman:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Word of advice to Keith Hernandez: Referring to a broken bat as a "dead soldier" is a bad move on ANY day, especially Memorial Day.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1pTcs3fFcec[/yt]

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

As a Mets fan, I never liked Keith as a Mets player. However I HATE him as an announcer. He is just awful, usually can put together a cogent sentence. He uses a monitor and still gets simple things wrong, ALL THE TIME. I'm a very happy viewer when its just Gary and Ron in the booth. It why I often just listen to the game via my iPad, listening to the radio guys.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Normally I think Keith is a pretty good color guy. And he has awesome comic chemistry with Gary (some of their banter in the booth is absolutely hilarious).

But this "dead soldier" remark is going to bite him in the ass, as well it should. Not only is it a pretty fucked-up thing to say in general, there's more: 1) He said it on Memorial Day, and 2) Keith's own father was a soldier (in World War II)!

And while we're on the subject of dickish moves by announcers: Anyone who listened to the Indians/Reds game the other night knows that the Indians radio guy really needs to lighten the fuck up. Sure, Chapman threw at Swisher's head, possibly even intentionally (the first one was WAY over Swish's head, the second one came thisclose), but the Indians announcer sounded like he was gonna burst a blood vessel...

Last edited: May 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.