"Star Trek: Phase II" Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2008.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such a majestic ship you have created :) :techman: :adore: :luvlove:

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I just did the mesh, though - the design is as close to an existing one was I could get.

3. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

You are my own personal acid flashback. And I'm lovin' it. :bolian:

4. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I love your ship, Dennis. Possibly the finest rendition of the "Post-TOS" Enterprise I have yet seen.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

6. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

That is a beautifull version old bean!

7. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great work on this design Dennis .. I like your approach to the design

the only thing I never took too on this redesign is the large Registry on the secondary hull.

I have been thinking of building this model myself for some time , or my interpretation of it anyway:)

your Videos where great .. really enjoyed your approach

8. Nascence

Nascence Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dennis,

This looks fantastic!
    You really made this version of the Enterprise really beautiful.
    Almost as good as the STTMP version.
    It's a very graceful design, also.
    My only quibbles with the model is that I remember a shot of the filming model for Phase II where there were docking ring ports on the sides of the secondary hull.
    I know they don't appear in Matt Jefferies' drawings, but there is a shot of both the model and a shot of a larger model section of the secondary that was a detailed area of the secondary hull dock ring area.
    And I remember the grille lines on the inverted "L" shape on the nacelles being more predominant.
    I really like what you did with the titles and especially the rolling effect on the Star Trek logotype.

That aside, really makes me think that the Phase II series should've happened in place of the movies and STTMP, in particular.
    Probably would've gotten a better deal story and character-wise than what was seen in the TOS movies.

Thanks for creating this.
    It's wonderful!

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks.

The docking ports, with their pentagonal inner pattern, are there on this model - they're just below the "NCC-1701" on the sides of the secondary hull. They're just too small to be prominent in most images. They are to scale with the docking ports on Jefferies's drawings and with the enlarged partial model of the ship that was built at Brick Price for close-ups, though.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the pentagonal docking ports as being actually more futuristic. This design isan interesting post-refit design:
    http://shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/heavycruiser_america.jpg

I'd actually like to see it with pentagonal ports. I think a similar Ships of Star Fleet entry had triangular Botanical bay windows. Now those might actually make for nice drone launcher doors for a military ship that would have the pentagonal ports. Many of you might be familiar with the ABBE class interceptor/missile boat. The impulse deck is very wide since the narrow hull of the ship splits it in two.

A good design for a post refit era ship might be to have the ABBE saucer on a 1701-A hull. Between the impulse exhaust, have aft firing dual torpedo decks but leave the saucer pylon unchanged. Pentagonal ports and triangular drone racks in place of the botanical section. Side view would largely be unchanged.

A nice surprise.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

12. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone played around with the shape of the impulse module and the side profile of the torpedo deck. Apparently that's enough for some to slap a new class name on it.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ Seems the big changes are the impulse engine redesign and the torp launcher. Not just redesign-- this Enterprise lookalike has an AFT firing torp launcher.

15. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Oooooooooooooookay.....

16. Nascence

Nascence Lieutenant Red Shirt

That design comes straight out of
    Ships of the Star Fleet Vol. I;)

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I am sure it will soon appear as an original design in the "design the next Enterprise" contest.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm tempted to submit one of Matt Jefferies preproduction sketches, just to see if anyone catches it...

19. Cephas

Cephas Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great work, Dennis.

I would have loved to see some variations show up on screen within the Constitution Class. It's been well established that Starfleet vessels undergo refits. It's very unlikely that all refits happen at the same time across the fleet. It's also easy to believe variations would creep it. After all, "I know engineers, they LOVE to change things." With apologies to the purists out there, remastering The Ultimate Computer would have been a great opportunity to do this. Show us a Phase II Connie, perhaps a 2nd ship with low slung nacelles as on the Ambassador class, etc. Alas, to quote Lord Scrumptious, "Too late. Had your chance. Muffed it."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  20. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks, Cephas.

I agree that The Ultimate Computer was a missed opportunity, given what the ST-R producers were willing to do with the Tholian ships in The Tholian Web.

Mind you, I didn't like what was done in The Tholian Web - but if the producers were willing to take that revisionist an approach to the show's effects (different from the stance they appeared to have started out with) they could have put it to much better use with The Ultimate Computer.

The only place where this might be interpreted to run aground vis-a-vis TOS continuity would be Kirk's statement in Tomorrow Is Yesterday to the effect that there are "twelve like [Enterprise] in the fleet," but then only if that's taken on the most literal level.