The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    And if it even happens in the first place. Years ago Hasbro fought off a previous attempt by Mattel to buy them and I can't see this going through without a lot of antitrust concerns being raised by the federal government and lots of collectors voicing some very strong and loud opinions about it, whether or not they're in favor of a merger.

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh you got a great bargain on that kitchen!

3. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was about to say that, great bargain! Kinda envious now ;) The cheapest I see is over 100 USD, and that is without shipping and import fees, which ebay now adds automatically.

What News Desk playset though? Have we talked about this before? This thread is making me poor as well *thinks fondly of the Flash treadmill and the soon-to-be leglamp*

Oh, and I have something new as well! Another Galileo shuttlecraft, this time from the Innerspace line. Sadly this is the only TOS item they had, the rest is all TNG. They even have a bridge and everything. I inserted a Cent coin into the pictures to show how tiny it is. There is even a tiny Kirk and Scotty to go with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lynsioux and cooleddie74 like this.
  4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I love the tiny little details inside the cabin of the shuttlecraft. That's some amazing detail for such a small collectible!

5. CaptainMurdock

That's a cute shuttlecraft. I have the Johnny Lightning version. It doesn't open up or anything but it is nice to look at.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Oh go on speak your mind.

7. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Oh, wow. :lol: I've always had a certain fascination with knock off and bootleg toys, if for no other reason than some of them are hilariously bizarre takes on normal big name toys. I've never heard of the rare Speclatron line, which was basically a KO of the classic Mattel He-Man line. The Speclatron figures largely copied the Mattel versions pretty well in terms of the figure design, but the most amusing part was they had transparent, snow globy chests with sparkly water inside. At least they get points for creativity. :biggrin:

8. Gingerbread Demon

I'd love to see Hasbro go down a peg or two. Transformers used to be OK to collect and I really never got into them when they first came out as a kid but more in my adult life.

Started with the 2007 movie versions of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee which were decent enough figures. But lately they are real piles of shit and just cheap and nasty. Hasbro hasn't done a good transformer in ages.

I prefer the Takara Tomy versions for better build quality, and overall finish.

9. Lynsioux

Lynsioux Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I left here and googled it and found one on Etsy, no chef. But it seems to have lots of parts. Is it complete, besides chef? For $30 I HAD to get it right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

They get some things right, but in other cases it seems very hit or miss. I've tried and tried to like the CW Combaticons, but I doubt I can. :p :lol: There's just too much laziness in the mold reuse (IMO), and Swindle's probably the best of the lot in my view. And I don't really want to spend a ton of money trying to import Takara versions, unless it was for something like a G1 accurate Groove if that figure isn't released over here eventually.

11. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

About Barbie doll articulation. I have a Life in the Dreamhouse Midge that is articulated and is hard to dress. Her joints just bend every which way! :D However, I love that doll! Of course, I grew up in the 1960s playing with non-articulated, straight legged dolls.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  12. CaptainMurdock

Oh you made a very worthwhile investment. looking at your photo's you have everything. Mine didn't have the wooden spoon but that can be replaced. looks like we had a tradeoff. I have the chef, you have the spoon. :P

13. Lynsioux

Lynsioux Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i know, right? There's a few knobs missing but pretty good. I just looked at the right time I guess. Now to keep an eye out for a chef. Like I have room to put this, haha.

14. Gingerbread Demon

Barbies are a funny thing. They're antatomically way off the scale yet somehow they have managed to become a cultural icon in the USA, and popular around the world for over 40 years. My Marilyn has no articulation in the limbs and has a stand that goes up between her legs and to hold her up she's resting on her crutch / crotch or whatever it's called.

15. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Look what I found: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Swedish_Kitchen_Playset

It has a list of all the accessories, so you can check them once it arrives.
    I never would have thought to look at Etsy for such stuff. I thought it was just for selfmade things *adds it to the list*

Lynsioux likes this.
  16. Gingerbread Demon

That kitchen set looks all kinds of awesome but is it only scaled to muppets?

17. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I don't know why Barbie is so popular. Perhaps she came along at the right time, good marketing, etc. Have you checked out the new Curvy, Petite, and Tall Barbies? I've been reading about them on Facebook doll groups. It will be interesting to see how they sell over time.

18. Gingerbread Demon

I haven't really checked those ones out simply for the fact I'm not a die hard collector. The only ones I have are the Marilyn and Flashdance figures, pictures of which I had posted a few posts ago. The only reason I even bought those was that they appealed to me and I liked the subject matter. I really wanted Galadriel from LOTR but they did not have her in stock at the shop I was at, but they did have the two figures from the pictures I posted. BTW those aren't my actual figures as I'm hopeless at photographing stuff like that close up.

19. CaptainMurdock

Oh no it's perfect for any bigger action figures in the 6/7 inch scale.

20. Gingerbread Demon

OK I just had this mental image of Black Widow in there cooking a meal for someone.