iPad Owners: What was the first Star Trek title you bought/loaded?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Daddy Todd, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Mine was Seven Deadly Sins from the iBooks store. I'll probably add "Unspoken Truth" and a few others for a long flight in May.

I also loaded a slew of SCE/COE omnibuses for the eReader app that I've been using on my iPod Touch. I'm hoping they enhance eReader to take better advantage of the iPad's bigger screen size.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The actual eReader app probably won't, since Barnes & Noble seems to be intent on killing eReader and Fictionwise by pieces. They're working on a B&N Reader app for iPad, but I don't remember how their existing iPhone app (nor know about their new one, obviously!) handles eReader content purchased elsewhere.

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Would you mind taking a photo of the iPad displaying this please? One of the pages in the middle someplace would do nicely. Thanks.

4. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

I bought the Vanguard novel Precipice. Mostly as a test for it's book reading abilities, but also because I want to read it. I'm loving this thing so far and it only arrived today! :)

5. reech

reech Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Let us all know how it 'feels' reading on the iPad; both holding-wise and screenwise.

I'm still not sure it'll be any joy reading books being a 'lit screen' - but let me know!

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How many Trek ebooks are available via the iBooks app?

7. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Looks like 91 by my count. I didn't look at all the titles though.

I find it comfortable reading on the iPad, but then I'm not an avid reader so I don't spend hours at a time reading. I can only read a few chapters at a time before my brain starts to wander. So I started my iPad reading experience last night in bed. Very comfortable experience.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can you guys afford to lay down so much for these things?

I can't even afford a new eReader.

9. sfroth

sfroth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't. When I emailed B&N support and asked if they would support this, they said that they had no plans to.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Any number of reasons, high paid employment would be my best bet though.

I on the other hand didn't think they were going to be out just yet, or are they just out in the North American market so far?

11. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

I spent my tax return on it, but it hasn't come yet because I pre-ordered the 3G version.

I will most likely download the SCE omnibuses, if available, and definitely any new book coming out. I am still behind by a few, and I have been postponing buying them until the iPad arrives.

My Dual USB iBook bit the dust, so I'm down to the family iMac until the iPad arrives. I'm not really Jones-ing, though, as that iMac is a killer! Still, having to wait is taking a lot of my patience, and it's fair to say I am champing at the bit. I stopped in a store and played with it over the weekend. That just made me want it more!

12. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Synthesis.

I should note that the kindle app is awesone compared to apples iBooks app. So i mgay still purchase from amazon.

The iPad is mouch heavier than a kindle so it can fatigue the hands and reading at night (dark) strains the eyeballs quite a bit.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm leaning towards Seven Deadly Sins as my first ebook. Can only get it through Kindle at present, though. :( I would have preferred iBooks.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Never mind, I see all the Trek ebooks are back in iBooks! W00t! :techman:

15. JWolf

Please do all eBook readers a favor and do not buy any eBooks via iBooks. You will just be confirming that this disaster that Apple started is a good idea. Please help Apple to sink when it comes to eBooks.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Why the hell would I want to do that? What's wrong with iBooks? :confused:

17. JWolf

Buying eBooks via iBook is validating Apple and the Agency model. We don't want to do that at all. The Agency model is why it's becoming harder to find Star Trek eBooks and why the prices have gone UP.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

And I should care about this...why, exactly? :rolleyes:

Maybe you don't, but I'll get my ebooks anywhere I can. If that happens to be from iBooks, then so be it. I already get all my music from Apple, why shouldn't I do this too?

19. JWolf

The more people who buy eBooks from the agency 5, the more they will think this mess works and that's bad for all of us. Buying from Apple only makes matters worse. So please do us a favor and don't buy from Apple.

20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Originally, eBooks were sold using a wholesale model, just like a physical book. The eBook was sold from the publisher to the story at a discounted wholesale rate, and the store sold the eBook to the consumer for whatever price they damned well pleased. If they wanted to boost the price and make more profit per copy, they could. If they wanted to lower the price to the point that they were talking a loss to drive sales, that's fine, too.

Under the agency model, the publisher is selling directly to the consumer, and the store is the agent who facilitates the transaction, like how one person selling a house to another works through a real estate agent. The agent (in this case, Apple) gets a percentage commission of the sale price. This means that the retailer no longer has any discretion in how they price the title. They sell it for whatever the publisher tells them to sell it for.

I'll let JWolf explain why this is a problem.