episodes that are part of two different TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan.

They had multiple cross over episodes.

Can't really understand why though, as when I tried to watch Crossing Jordan it seemed to have a very fidderent tone to Las Vegas.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, nah. I beat you to that one. They were both marginal shows at the time and NBC decided to build in excitement by crossing them over. For Vegas the move was to move more towards the serious of its first season. For Jordan a more comedic slant. It also gave the Jordan leads a different romantic target so they had another excuse to sloew the Woody/Jordan ship.

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When did Woody join Crossing Jordan?

4. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget. The character Phoebe on Friends had a twin sister Named Ursula which was the dumb waitress on Mad About You. It was clearly stated on the show friends and the character Ursula was shown on Friends quite a bit. Of course both characters where played by the same actress. Lisa Kudrow.

Also. Lance Henriksen Played Frank Black in a show called Millennium. It was created by the same guy who created X - Files I believe. There was an X-Files episode with Lance Henriksen as Frank Black.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. Star Wolf

I was more of the Vegas fan, isn't Crossing cop's name Woody?

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Crossing Jordan had a male cop on it called Woody, who was a love interest for Jordan, and there was a plan to give him a spin-off at one stage, but he made a few appearnces in Las Vegas, when he started dating Sam

7. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there was an episode of "Mad About You" where Carl Reiner made an appearance as Alan Brady--putting the whole thing squarely in the universe of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

Also there used to be crossovers all the time between "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres". This, in spite of the fact that the same actress, Bea Benaderate, played both Cousin Peal Bodine on "Hillbillies" and the owner of the Shady Rest, Kate Bradley, on Petticoat Junction. Later, after Bea Benaderate became ill, June Lockhart took over the running of the Shady Rest, giving it a connection to "Lost in Space" (though Lockhart was NOT playing Maureen Robinson).

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Newhart was just a dream of Bob Hartley from The Bob Newhart Show.

Also, several characters from St. Elsewhere once appeared on Cheers, and since St. Elsewhere is just a figment of an autistic child's imagination, then Cheers, Frasier, The Tortellis, and Wings are also a figment of the child's imagination.

9. Star Wolf

Warren Coolidge, the center on The White Shadow Carver High school team was recoginized as so on St. Elsewhere when he worked at the hospital. He was supposed to be at Boston College on schorlarship as his high school coach was an alumni but he blew out his knee IIRC.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Problem is your original crossover idea seemed limited to -oddly- series' shows that appeared on another series' DVD set. We've taken that idea and expanded it to something more worthy of discussion.

I agree that Kramer's apperance on MAY was a "gimmick" but it also intended -and did- establish that MAY and Seinfeld took place "in the same universe."

And, yes, as I said we see George fret over watching MAY with Susan in one episode but such a thing doesn't preclude the Buchmans living in Seinfeld's New York it just means that a show called MAY exsists in Seinfeld's and MAY's universe though it is very likely very different than the MAY you and I know. And as I pointed out all of these other "gimmicks" firmly links almost all of NBC's "New York Sitcoms" to one another. Friends and Mad About You were linked from early in the first season with Ursala and she remained a recurring character throughout the show's run. So at the very least it's cemented that MAY and Friends are "in the same universe."

It's just more fun to link shows in this manner than to talk about what show appeared in another's DVD set. Because such an occurance doesn't really mark the episode as being part of two series as doing such a thing is really a marketing gimmick.

11. Trekker4747

Yeah I didn't originaly mention that. I knew it, but I guess it was too obvious in my mind to mention it. Heh. So, like I said above, Friends and Mad About You are cemented in the same New York.

Yep. You're very right. I remember that episode!

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    More likely, the St Elsewhere characters are real people that appeared on Cheers and also encountered the autistic boy at some point, thus leading to the autistic boy integrating them into his own fantasy life. Thus, Cheers, Frasier, The Tortellis, Wings, AND Caroline in the City (since Daphne & Niles from Frasier once appeared in an episode of Caroline in the City) are all "real." Their reality just happened to bleed into this child's fantasy.

Thankfully, that's a lot easier to "explain" than it would have been to explain the other Star Trek shows had DS9 ended up as Benny Russell's fantasy.

13. Trekker4747

Daphne and Niles appeared in Caroline in the City?!

Yikes!

This links Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, Mad About You, Mad Man of the People, The Single Guy, Cheers, and Wings! Pretty much every NBC sitcom from the late 80s and early 90s occured in the same universe!

Because a character from one of these series appeared in one of these OTHER series!

:lol:

It's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

:deep breath:

Cheers took place in Boston and had a character named Frasier who later got his own series, Frasier, featuring Daphne and Niles who appeared in Caroline in the City which featured Lea Thompson as Caroline who appeared in Friends, which featured a character named Phoebe who's twin sister was a waitress in the restaurant in Mad About You where Paul Buchman has subleted his apartment to Kramer on Seinfeld. Further the blackout caused by Jamie in MAY effected Mad Man of the People, Ross "dated" the main character in The Single Guy and Frasier and Lilith appeared on Wings! FURTHER characters from Cheers spun off St. Elsewhere!

Yiikes!

14. The Borgified Corpse

Only for a few minutes at the end of an episode. In the episode, Caroline was very sick, so her friends had to write her comic strip that day for her. After much wrangling, they finally finish the strip and send it off to the syndicate, only to realize that it doesn't make any sense and isn't funny. We then cut to Niles having coffee in Frasier's apartment. Daphne is reading the funnies and asks Niles to read the confusing "Caroline" comic strip. Niles reads it, chuckles momentarily, and then says, "I don't get it."

15. Trekker4747

Good enough for me. :lol:

I think I remember that one now. (I had such a crush on Lea Thompson. She was irresistible in CitC.)

All of NBC is in the same universe! :lol:

16. The Borgified Corpse

^Yep. It's a shame that they weren't quite able to work out that ER/Friends crossover. (George Clooney & one of the other actors from ER did play doctors on Friends but they weren't the same doctors since ER is set in Chicago and Friends takes place in New York.)

17. Trekker4747

Noah Wile (Dr. Carter) and Doug Ross (Clooney) did show up in a first or second season episode of "Friends" as dates to Rachel and Monica, yep. I'm not sure if we're ever told their names but they were doctors in a local NYC hospital. Maybe Drs. Carter and Ross filled in at a NYC hospital that weekend? ;)

18. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

They had different names. According to this link :

http://poobala.com/erandfriends.html

"You see the doctors they met while at the ER were played by George Clooney and Noah Wyle of the TV show ER. Only, even though they were playing "ER doctors” they weren't playing their characters from ER. On ER Noah Wyle played Dr. John Carter. On Friends he played Dr. Jeffrey Rosen. On ER Clooney was Dr. Doug Ross, on Friends he was Dr. Michael Mitchell."

19. Trekker4747

If it doesn't happen on screen it doesn't happen at all.

;)

Which I guess doesn't help either of our causes.

I was kidding, anyway.

20. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

While not significant crossovers, ER and Chicago Hope often referenced each other, most notably when both shows accidentally opted to use NASA's "Surgeons in Space" program as a plotline, in virtually the same week.

ER's Dr. Green (Anthony Edwards) and CH's Dr. Austin (Christine Lahti) both signed up for the program. Once the producers/writers realized they'd come up with virtually the same story line, they played with it. A lot. There were several episodes where these characters would talk about one another as competing for the same position. There was even talk of doing an actual crossover, and maybe even a jointly produced TV movie of both of them being selected and going into space, but the networks involved couldn't come to an agreement, and both shows dropped the storyline.

Chicago Hope also acknowledged St Elsewhere in an episode featuring Mark Harmon, who was on both shows as totally different characters. The setting was a medical convention in Las Vegas, and in one scene Harmon steps out of his hotel, under one of those animated Hotel signs. This sign was welcoming the attendees from the various hospitals, and as Harmon exits the hotel, the sign changes to read "Las Vegas welcomes the Doctors of St Eligius Hospital".