teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

and you see some of yourself in Janeway? yeah...

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No I don't see any of myself in Janeway, at least not in my current gender. It's a matter of opposites attract.

Janeway is always in my avatars because I lust after her, not because I relate to her.

3. Sephiroth

ok, ok, sorry for improperly remembering a post I read a while back, but I still think Vala shouldn't have been made a regular cast member,a reoccurring character, yes, but she just always seemed out of balance in style and tone from the rest of the show

4. teacake

I completely agree, she seemed out of style and balance. But perhaps SG:1 was the more experimental team, they already had Teal'c who could just walk out any time when Jaffa business called and then walk back in. It's not like Carter could do that. And I very much grew to love the character who I was quite eye rolled about in the beginning. I think she had some great interchanges with the others though I did notice that Carter took more of a back seat at that point.. whether this was because Vala was there or for other reasons I don't know.

5. Sephiroth

I don't know if Carter was pushed into the background by Vala or if Tapping had lost interest like Richard Dean Anderson did, though I assume the former because she later joined Atlantis. SG-1 wasn't so much experimental as it was given exceptions. Teal'c's reasons for being on the team made sense, season 9 comes up and all we really get is HEEEEEEEEEERE'S VALA! (sitcom riff, laugh track) She was definately the new "darling" for the show I;E Voyager's Seven of Nine

6. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I'm not sure I can ever remember Vala being "bitchy".

7. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

Oh yeah. The writers (most notoriously Joseph Mallozzi) have stated several times that they loved writing stories for Vala.

Me neither. She is silly and witty, but not bitchy..

8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched Prometheus Unbound as a tie-in to my first-time watch-through of Atlantis, and I actually really like Vala; to me, she seems like a perfect fit for the style of series that SG-1 is (a MacGyver/Knight Rider/Las Vegas-type action adventure serial). She also has really noticeable chemistry with Daniel (Michael Shanks).

BTW, the reason they used her as a major recurring character in S9 is because of Tapping's pregnancy, and she obviously 'sparked' with the writers which is why they made her a regular in S10.

Re: Continuum, it's set early on in Atlantis' 5th season (between Search and Rescue and The Seed), whereas TAoT is set after Unending and before the SGA S3 finale, First Strike).

9. gturner

gturner Admiral

The only potential SGA reference to the Asgard knowledge base that I can sort of recall (and I may be mistaken) is in the SGA series finale as some offhand reference toward the end.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, she did not choose to go to Atlantis, her contract forced her too. I really need to find that Gateworld interview that she did. She said she rather not have Sam go over to Atlantis but that the she was under contract and had no say. It's why she isn't in all of the Atlantis episodes in season 4 and why she isn't in season 5.

This is what Amanda Tapping said before season 4 of Atlantis...

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for a year. I knew at the beginning of Season Ten that it was a possibility that if SG-1 went down that I might be doing some Atlantis. They exercised that option, which is fine."

She seemed so excited! :lol:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/11/tapping_gates_to_iatlantisi_for_.shtml

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. teacake

I would have liked to see more Vala and Carter interchanges. At first Carter was quite irritated by her and though she kept it professional she was obviously not connecting to her at all. Then suddenly they are going on shopping trips. Wouldn't have minded a few scenes between them to show how that happened.

I think Vala freshened the whole place up. Mitchell was pleasant enough but not really different enough to do that.. we needed someone quite outside the air force mindset. And Teal'c seemed to say less in the last couple seasons than in the whole series.

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, she knew to expect things like that when she joined the Air Force. She could've opted to remain a civilian, as Michael Shanks did, or even skip all the red-tape and security paperwork and remain a free Jaffa actor like Tony Amendola (CSI NCIS, Charmed, Continuum, Once Upon a Time, Terminator SCC, Zorro, Dollhouse, Dexter, etc).

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Vala was a huge breath of fresh air for the show. She brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm that I think the show was lacking by Season Eight, and made the show fun again.

14. teacake

I AM CRACKING THE CELLOPHANE!

15. DigificWriter

I was curious to see what affect Richard Dean Anderson's departure had on the series, so I checked out the opening credits for Season 9 and noticed that they went with a more ensemble-type format (ala SGA), and was wondering if this change was reflected in the style and tone of the show's actual content. Can anybody answer that question for me?

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, O'Neill's role became much smaller by seasons 7 and 8 that there isn't really that much of a difference in the show. The only real noticeable difference is that there's less sarcasm and humour. It's still there, just not as often.

But I don't get what you mean about the credits having a more ensemble-type of format. Is this because Ben Browder doesn't have a special credit before the title pops up? That's meaningless, something RDA wanted for himself which obviously Browder didn't care about. If Browder had wanted that, it would have been a simple matter of requesting it and it would have been done.

17. DigificWriter

Through its first 8 seasons, SG-1 was very much a Macguyver/Knight Rider/Las Vegas-type show where you had a main lead character - O'Neill - and a bunch of characters - Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond, etc. - who were clearly support for the main character, and this was reflected by the main credits. What I was asking is whether this style pattern was continued in Season 9 even though the credits reflect a more 'ensemble-type' style of show (ala Bones, Buffy, or ANGEL) where you have a group of characters who are basically all equal, as is the case with SGA.

18. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

It's difficult to say because I don't feel that the focus of the show was ever as uneven as you're suggesting. Daniel was as much a "main" character for me as O'Neill ever was, perhaps more so.

19. DigificWriter

^ Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Hammond, and Jonas were very much utilized as main characters, but were nevertheless 'support' for O'Neill, just as the other main characters on Las Vegas were 'support' for James Caan's Ed Deline.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But from season 6 onward O'Neill's role was decreasing to the point that he was absent for entire episodes and everyone else stepped up during that period, so really, by the time season 9 came and he left very little changed in the cast dynamic of the show.

Hell, RDA's absence even led to various minor recurring characters. Walter's role was expanded, and we got Colonel Reynolds as commander of the back-up SG team, a role SGA also had with Major Lorne.