Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Thank you. :)

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    They could have gone several ways...but, I've learned with 'Star Trek' lately that only a few think outside the box. (In regards to the time when 'Nemesis' was made, creativity in the Trekverse was at an all-time low)...

Interesting...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Here's mine:
    • Throughout the run of The Next Generation, Voyager, and TNG movies Brannon Braga was overall a somewhat better writer than Jeri Taylor and Michael Pillar, though "Threshold" was a howler and he bit off more than he could chew as a producer, outstaying his welcome after VOY wrapped up.
    • Star Trek: Voyager, though clearly outclassed by shows like Farscape, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, NuWho, and the first four seasons of Babylon 5 was almost as enjoyable as Star Trek: The Next Generation, and roughly comparable to Stargate SG-1, Lexx, The X-Files, and the earlier seasons of Sliders. It was marginally better than Enterprise and outclassed post-S1 Heroes, Andromeda, Hercules, and Stargate: Atlantis.
    • Star Trek: First Contact was marginally better than JJ Abrams' Star Trek, with the Borg changing the timeline before Nero did (leading on to Enterprise).
    • Though obviously imperfect and not pleasing everyone, JJ Abrams' Star Trek was a necessary reboot and was as good start as any to genuinely revitalise the Star Trek franchise: it was certainly better than the other two major revamps of the Star Trek franchise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Season One of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    • Ronald D. Moore was the best writer of Star Trek in the last two decades, but it sounds like he got very cocky and burned out with NuBSG.
    • A catsuit sort of makes sense for Seven of Nine, but not so much the stiletto high-heels and lack of pockets.
    • Season Two of The Next Generation was a vast improvement over Season One and roughly equal to Season Seven. Season Five was a tad overrated.
    • Brannon Braga has had better success as a TV writer in recent years than Josh Whedon (though that's not saying much).
    • Rick Berman's main problem was that what worked well in 1992 didn't quite cut it in 2002.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but how is that not a popular opinion?

5. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's un unpopular opinion around here: it was also outclassed by Season 5 of B5.

What?!! :eek: Please don't tell me this is canon!:eek:

6. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Mine:

- I like all 6(!) Star Trek shows: TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT. Each one brings something unique to the table.
    - I think TAS should count as canon, not just "Yesteryear." KIRK IS A JERK! :lol:
    - Out of the 6 shows, VOY is my favorite and has my favorite overall cast.
    - I really enjoyed "Generations."
    - I think many episodes in seasons 1 and 2 of DS9 were actually pretty interesting.
    - I liked McCoy better than Kirk. He had so much more personality! I was always rooting for him.
    - Neelix could be pretty charming when he wanted to be. :) He was a bad cook, but a loyal friend.

7. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I liked all the series for the most part and had no problem with the episodes, Threshold or A Night In Sickbay. Found them both to be great episodes. I also think City on The Edge of Forever is way overrated.

I also think the more obsessive Trek fans need to lighten up.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite a few Trekkies dislike the changes that STXI brought to the table, although the general population liked it a lot.

9. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Not really. There are only a few here and there. These are the same kind of "fans" who campaigned for the cancellation of Enterprise and still write hate mail to Brannon Braga for dating Jeri Ryan...or post in the TOS forum.

10. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Thankfully, no it's not.

11. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought I'd revive this thread to add my points.
    - Kirk was the worst captain ever on Star Trek. He was nothing more than a Mary Sue in male form.
    - ST:ENT is my favorite ST series. TOS is my least favorite.
    - Q was a highly advanced being who was trying to guide humans to advance to their next step in evolution. Being an arrogant race, specially Picard, humans misunderstood his intentions. One of my favorite characters ever although not perfect.
    - TWOK is terribly overrated.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably a bad idea to revive a thread that's been dormant for over six months.

But, I gotta ask before the lock, how is Kirk a "Mary Sue"?

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah, I'm curious on this one as well...

14. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Well, you're right about two of those.

15. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

What a way to revive a dead thread, by making such an outlandish statement that is probably the most unpopular opinion of all. It's not even an opinion, but more of a slanderous barb. I smell a troll given the circumstances. Either you never really watched TOS, or you're so detached from appreciating TOS for its time.