State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

TMP is my favorite ST movie, but I understand when people complain about the pacing--hell, I even agree with them: it's a slow ass movie.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sometimes I get flashbacks where I'm still watching it. ;)

3. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Makes for some nice, gratuitous shots though. :D

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Those aren't flashbacks, the movie's still playing. I think they're almost to the end of the Enterprise reveal scene.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yep. The relates images are in this post (link),

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Yeah and not everyone gets the cult of Benedict Cumberband, either!

I just don't get it.

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Or, you know, they had genuine grievances about story quality, rehashing old plots in a watered-down fashion and an over-use of special effects over logic.

Or we could just go with your overblown hyperbole mixed with ad homynym attacks and call anybody who disagrees with YOU(apparently THE AUTHORITY)sad, pathetic and annoying.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But people have argued this over and over again, all of the above is entirely subjective.

I really don't get why this issue has to be brought up over and over again.

9. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's funny, the Dominion also had the ability to beam people across distances of a few light years too, yet they still insisted on maintaining an empire enforced by fleets of starships. The value of a flexible system of starbases and starships is just too great to give up on.

10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

:lol::lol::guffaw::guffaw:

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:techman:

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? The funny thing is even in this very thread people are STILL complaining about how slow TMP was. Still. Over 3 decades later. But that doesn't make them "haters" just because they don't like certain aspects of the film. And "slow" is also subjective. Some people would say it was gripping or captivating, not slow. And TMP made lots of money in its day. So I'm sure there were plenty of fans who said, "look, it made loads of money, so more people think it's great than hate!" And I'm sure the "loud" fans "in the minority" were blamed for those pesky changes that came in TWOK, which are ironically still complained about today as well.

Of the hated films (which no doubt includes all of them), there are fans who voice their reasons for not liking the films. And then others complain. And then some folks on the other side say "why are these jerks complaining?" And then others say "you people will love anything that has Star Trek slapped on the title." And the other side says "you people will hate anything for the sake of hating it." And then some so-called 'haters' will say, "hey wait, I'm not a hater. I love Star Trek, I just didn't like this film for these reasons," to which the other side responds, "why are these jerks STILL complaining?" And the cycle continues...

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Because new people find fandom - and TrekBBS - every day. :vulcan:

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The characters WEREN'T 'pulled from TWoK'; it was essentially a very different take on the TOS episode "Space Seed" - where Marcus and Section 31 found the SS Botany Bay instead of Kirk's crew and the Enterprise (about 10 or so years later to boot.)

Those who think it's a straight rip off of TWoK (IMO) didn't really bother to pay attention to the story being told in the film. Even substituting Admiral Marcus for Admiral Kirk isn't the same because Kahn of STiD had a VERY DIFFERENT relationship and motivation for his actions when compared tio the events in STII:TWoK.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Into Darkness being a Wrath of Khan rip-off is like saying Smallville was a rip-off of Superman I - IV, since they featured many of the same characters, like Clark, Lex, Lois and Zod.

Ditto Man of Steel, come to think of it. Carol and Khan are characters, not a story.

17. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Khan was a very different character, Carol was a very different character. How they interacted and met was very different. Khan's goals were very different, etc. There was ONE scene that I thought went too far with TWOK references, but that was near the end of the movie. STID is different from TWOK, period. Also, the point of a reboot is to both do new things, but also take old concepts and put new spins on them, which this film did. Saying that JJ can't use Khan is like saying that a Batman reboot can never use the Joker, or a Superman one can never use Lex Luthor, or a Spider Man one can never use the Green Goblin, even if they do different things with those characters. That argument is absurd.

18. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why not open the movie here in the US first, then branch out to other countries..OR open it worldwide on the same day.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This time around, they were trying to stay out of Iron Man 3's way, which is why it opened Internationally first

20. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Plus if I am no mistaken they were a little let down with the ST09 numbers overseas and I think with BC on board they wanted to cater to that audience a bit more as well.

It worked as well.