The curse of even Trek Films and the reboot - thought

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by YJAGG, Jun 10, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And then....
    Romulans attack and steal the body - and, using Borg technology, ressurrect Kirk.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The only acceptable way Kirk could have been killed off would have been to go the full blown operatic scale of sacrificing himself in a massive explosion to save the Enterprise and the entire universe. And there's the OMG moment as the surviving crew witness from a distance.

Sort of like "The Doomsday Machine" on a $100 million budget.

And if he always knew he'd die alone, not even we the audience should actually see it up close. That leaves us free to imagine what those last seconds could have been like for him.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. F. King Daniel

Kirk didn't have to die at all. Old Spock surviving Star Trek was far more awesome than Kirk dying in Generations.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And even then the reason why Kirk has to kill himself at all would be a stupid one.

"Autopilot offline", "Transporter offline" and other bullcrapshitfuck.

5. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

It was indeed. :techman:

6. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

Not necessarily. A simpler solution would be that he has an incurable disease or is injured to the point he's going to die anyway and decides to die a meaningful death instead of a slower, more painful one.

7. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Not that Kirk, not in 1994. It was just too soon for fans to accept. Now that Shatner is much older, we could accept Prime Kirk's death as the natural conclusion of a hero's journey.

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Kirk could die in his sleep at an obscenely old age... and in his dreams, surrounded by many sexy ladies.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

But would he be buried with his toupee?

--Sran

10. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

ST-TMP: 7.5
    A beautiful, majestic film. The viewscreen staring and V'ger beauty-shots could use some trimming. I would like to give it an 8, but there's just not enough happening in the film...
    ST2-TWOK: 8
    Definitely an exciting movie compared to TMP. Great tense moments. I like the sets of TMP better though.
    ST3-TSFS: 7
    A good solid adventure story with a satisfying ending.
    ST4-TVH: 7
    Fun, lightweight adventure. But it's not a movie I rewatch often. Maybe it's the dated 80's stuff that turns me off.
    ST5-TFF: 6
    The first half of the movie is actually pretty entertaining. Then Sybok reveals his "great mission to the center of the galaxy" and the film falls apart.
    ST6-TUC: 9
    Yes, better than TWOK. The intrigue, the Klingon Dining scene, the Battles, the perfect farewell. Everything just works.
    ST7-GEN: 6.5
    Better than TFF, but the plotholes keep it from deserving a 7. Kirk's death was too random. The film feels like a bunch of good TNG episodes were thrown into a blender and something weird came out.

ST8-FC: 8
    The best TNG movie. No doubt about it. Timetravel, Borg, Cochrane, all done right. Some out-of-place humor keeps it from a 9.

ST9-INS: 6
    This movie was like a very long, boring TNG-episode. There's not much more to say, it's that boring.

ST10-NEM: 5.5
    Yes, lower than TFF. As a stand-alone movie it might deserve a 6, but it has an out-of-character Picard, a cookiecutter villain who attacks Earth for no particular reason and sends off the TNG crew with that awfully written Data-death.
    ST2009: 7.5
    A very good movie and a great re-introduction to our favorite characters. I would give it an 8, but there are a few things I just don't like: plotholes (Spock right there in that ice-cave! Okay....:rolleyes:), destroying the Prime-timeline, too much action.

ST-ITD: 7.5
    Didn't like the militaristic uniforms and ripping off TWOK, but a very enjoyable film!

Nope, curse of the even Trek Films doesn't hold up!

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's still there. Check out the Pocket Books novels and the computer game Star Trek Online.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I wish it weren't. :) Or rather I wish that fans would quit pretending all the various Star Trek series and movies were ever really one cohesive whole and that Star Trek hasn't been rebooted before.

13. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My understanding of the reboot is that it didn't destroy the Prime-timeline. Rather, it created a separate timeline that runs parallel to the original one. At least, that's how I've hear it explained.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

That's why we need a real reboot that ignores all that other crap. No explanation required.

Okay, we don't need one, but I'd like one. :)

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except the plot.

16. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

You're right. Chang's plot to start a war failed miserably. :p

My rule: Everything off-screen doesn't count. It's all fanfic to me. Especially the games.
    Maybe a real reboot would have been better. No heated arguments among trekkies and no confusing time-travel for non-trekkies.

If that was their intention, a single line for Spock would have done the trick: "I can never return to my timeline". There. But they didn't.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

As long as it's a good story, what does it matter?

18. F. King Daniel

It would have made no difference. Take a look at Smallville or Man of Steel, neither of which are part of the comic book or classic movie continuities and yet fans went apeshit when they dared deviated from them (Lois met Clark BEFORE he worked at the Daily Planet? Heracy! Black trenchcoat/No red undies? Faaaaaaaack! Etc etc)

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, how many are those?

Every time something is done the argument is "naysayers are in the minority, so it's okay", and every time something isn't done the argument is "it's not done because there is a minority of naysayers".

20. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If they had done a straight reboot, then a lot of people would have complained that they were disrespecting 50 years of canon, including 5 TV shows and 10 movies, by essentially saying that it didn't count anymore. That absolutely would have happened, and that's why they went the route that they did. It truly is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.