Captain Robau - unprecedented fan response?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lazarus, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

Looking around the internet following the latest Star Trek film, particularly Trek BBS, I've noticed an almost unprecedented response to the character of Captain Robau that is nothing short of phenomenal.

Can't help wondering what exactly illicited such a strong response from the Star Trek fandom, any one help me out here?

Certainly for a character who appeared on the screen for barely five minutes, how has Robau managed to achieve such a prominent position in the minds of fans?

I'd venture that for a minor character with only a few minutes of screentime the response is unprecedented.

2. shadowedgalaxy

shadowedgalaxy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Robau will punish you for your blasphemy.

3. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Because, unlike the other StarFleet captains we see in the movies whose job is to be buttraped, he did it with badassness and professionalism essentially, rather than incompetently like Captain 'next Tuesday' Harriman or like a pussy such as Captain 'a Lucky Shot' Whatshisface in STIII.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the whole thing started long before one saw only a second of footage, it is just irrational. I can't see anything badass about that character. And I doubt that the hype goes anywhere beyond this and the startrekmovie.com message boards.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robau is so badass he surrenders and gets skewered within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

It's on TVTropes.org, too, thanks to us. :techman:

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mmmmm. I think this is just one of those internet things. The real fans of the real world who don't know this place exists, but will get themselves right out to the theater for XII, are not interested in Captain Robau. I'd be surprised if many of them know what his name was.

Sometimes when things get rolling on the internet, people jump on because it's the thing to do, or they are doing it ironically, because everyone is being sheep and it's fun to be an ironic sheep. Think badgers. Or sombreros.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Badger badger badger badger badger badger SOMBRERO SOMBRERO.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Might be unprecedented for Star Trek, but Star Wars has always been doing this sort of thing.

10. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's the Chuck Norris of the (new) Star Trek universe.

11. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Was Boba Fett ever envisioned from the start as anybody?

I remember how cool it was when somebody with a Boba Fett suit always showed up for reruns of Star Wars and paced the lobby with his blaster in the early 1980's at our university student cinema.

Clearly that character captured viewers' imaginations.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. He is bald.
    2. He has a very cool accent.

13. Shazam!

I'm sure Lucas has said 'no' to this in the past, which is why Boba Fett died screaming like a little girl. It was the fans who brought him back.

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

The thing with Robau started started sometime last year in an interview with the writers, they stated that Captian Robau would not be a throw ayway captian like in past movies. Turns out he was. I think he had potential for badassness, but I think George Kirk was more of a Badass in my opinion,anyway that's where it started and spread from there.

15. teacake

What a shame, he was more interesting than Pike. I wish there was a way of bringing him back.

16. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

The response is unprecedented because Robau is unprecedented in badassness.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mushroom! Mushroom!

And the Robaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaau!

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Actually, Captain Robau just let Chuck Norris have this particular universe out of pity.

19. Shazam!

How was he more interesting? He had a couple of lines and then died.

20. teacake

Unlike Pike he didn't exude any wholesomeness. He had a man of mystery quality to him. If he had been a regular character he would always be the one that never had everything revealed about him, a man with hidden qualities and potentials. He's the sort of character that it could be was really working for Starfleet Intelligence, or who had an alien grandparent or had experienced a great personal loss of a wife and children and yet never ever spoke of it. A man of mystery.

So, more interesting.