Data - B4 Question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by EJD1984, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Sisko_is_my_captain

Brain and brain! What is brain?!

(sorry)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'll reiterate what was stated in another thread: The only thing anyone can accomplish by suggesting a story idea on the BBS is ensuring that it will never be done. Talking about whether Data should be brought back is one thing, but talking about how to bring him back is crossing the line into story ideas and should be avoided.

4. Sisko_is_my_captain

What story idea? ;)

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I'd never heard that before, what was he doing? The only behind the scenes stuff I'd heard about him was a interview a year or so ago, where he was ranting about how pissed he was that even though he was the biggest sci-fi fan in the cast he never got to direct.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, Wang didn't want to put in the extra effort that other actors did. Berman made all of the other actors who directed go through the extra effort of training and learning the process of directing. Wang (again, from what I understand), just wanted to walk on the set and say, "action!"

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

What antics was that? I thought the story was that 7 of 9 was coming along and they had to make room for her. Kim was going to be killed off except in some magazine poll he was voted above Kes in popularity so they knocked her off instead.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes, but before that poll came out, he was supposedly reprimanded often for a casual attitude - turning up to hair/makeup/costume late, causing everyone else to have to make up for lost time so he wasn't late reporting to the set. Writing in a potentially fatal disease for Harry was to put the actor in his place. Make him stew all through the hiatus. Shape up or ship out.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't know that. I wonder if they were trying to warn him when they killed off the original Harry Kim.

10. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like to think Data made daily backups (clone backups) of himself in his room at night. Just like my Mac does with SuperDuper!. Kill off Shatner, the rest of the humans, and bring that Data man back. He is the only one that can be argued as a reasonable character to come back.

I hope Janeway stays dead but from what I have read in GTTS, it seems the scene is being set for humans to be de-borgified.

11. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, all I can say is, leaving B-4 as a veggie is about the most boring route to take, essentially the same as dropping the character and forgetting about him. He should definitely grow and become a functional person, otherwise he's not really interesting, just a much more annoying version of C3PO.

All this talk about his possible brain power is all hypothetical. He clearly advanced at least somewhat in NEM to the point where he is essentially talking like Data - except retarded, rather than talking like a baby in confusing sentence fragments. So I'd say the ability to grow is certainly there, and can be supported by whatever technobabble you want to come up with to justify it.

12. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But deactivating Lore is the equivalent to putting a biological being in long term stasis. There's still some slim prospect someone in the future might find a way to safely rehabilitate him. We're not even sure member planets allow capital punishment. Unless you found some way to back Lore up in some other device, overwriting Lore's personality with some combination of his "brothers" and "niece" would amout to execution. Even backing his personality up and replacing his personality could be considered slavery.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...However, Bashir is ready to perform such an operation on a sentient creature at the drop of a hat, and Pulaski is ready to create lacunae without substituting alternative content.

Clearly, the UFP is relatively flexible about such issues, and not automatically and categorically opposed to capital punishment or slavery.

Timo Saloniemi

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^ According to Immortal Coil, Lore and the other Data-prototypes and so forth were all destroyed with the Enterprise-D, if I remember right.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

How many plot threads do you want the post-NEM to balance at once? Seems to me the character is waiting in the wings, and will emerge when an author decides they want to tackle B-4's story.

16. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, after 50 more Borg stories... :cardie: In the meantime, the Kingons, Romulans, and Vulcans ask what a Borg is. :rolleyes:

17. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I wasn't suggesting that the procedure would be fully sanctioned/legal by Starfleet. (added drama/conflict).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  18. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

Which, for some reason, I still expect to happen, eventually. Don't know why, it's just a gut feeling, I guess.

19. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this is the case, let me put this out there so it never happens.

Data never died. At the last possible moment, he was plucked out of the timestream by one of the factions of the temporal cold war, who had a need for his vast knowledge and his problem-solving ability. After determining that he was being used for a less than noble purpose, he manages to escape by using the time travel device, and he returns to his shipmates in the 24th century.

20. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

For all of the other Trek characters that have come back to life in the novels - I just can't believe that one of Star Trek's most popular characters (next to Spock - IMOP), hasn't been resurrected yet.

Unless it's in the works on someone's laptop I type. :)