sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

WGN is developing a series based on Michael Swanwick's short story "Radiant Doors". You can Deadline's report here.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Librarians is a go at TNT with a 10-episode order. Rebecca Romijn leads the cast, while Noah Wylie will make recurring appearances. You can read Deadline's rundown of the series, including the rest of the cast, here.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I hope they'll re-air the three movies leading up to the series premiere (and I'm sure they will). Always wanted to see them, but never got a chance to do so.

I'm also glad to hear that John Rogers will be involved with the show.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, same here. I didn't even know there were three. The first two looked good, but somehow I never watched, probably because TNT is so far off my radar. This is actually the most interesting series order I've seen in a while.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's territory that's been covered by Warehouse 13 since the original 3 movies came out. Very similar in tone too.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    It'll be good to have a space opera show on TV again. That's the biggest element that's been missing from the bumper crop of SF/F shows currently in production.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

With Warehouse 13 ending its run in a few weeks (the first of its final six episodes airs this Monday, IIRC), I look forward to having The Librarians hopefully fill the void left in its wake. :techman:

9. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

So I've read the first book from the source material, Leviathan Wakes, and it's really very very good. It was nominated for a Hugo and the third book, which came out last year is getting a lot of Hugo buzz as well. It's a very ambitious story though. It'll be hard to do on a tv budget, but if they can pull it off, it could really be a prestige project for the network.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I'm crossing my fingers. I'd love to have a good Space Opera to watch.

Yeah, I love Warehouse 13, so this is very encouraging.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here's a trailer for Syfy's Dominion:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wn_RSRxak[/yt]

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My god, Giles! What did they do to your voice?

13. Enterprise is Great

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Wow, HBO is getting extremely aggressive with possibly hit programming. Between this Ridley Scott announcement, and Rowling doing a mini series and the hit GoT HBO potentially could have several huge hits.

15. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

^ Nice to see we're finally getting some new Stargate!

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ohh, good grief. Will the Von Daniken cliches never die? That whole "aliens built the pyramids" rubbish was already hackneyed and worn when Stargate appropriated it; indeed, it was the great failure of the movie that it conceived of an idea with such immense potential and then wasted it on a tired ancient-astronauts rehash, and the great success of the TV series that it transcended the limitations of the source film and created a much richer, broader universe.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I hear nothing but good things...and I promised myself I'd get control of the book buying...ugh!

RAMA

18. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Libraries are your friend

19. Enterprise is Great

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm, there was a Friday the 13th: The Series in syndication back in the late '80s, but it had no connection to the film franchise beyond being in the horror genre. It was more in the vein of a darker Warehouse 13, with the leads tracking down cursed antiques. Sounds like this show will actually be based on the film series, though it's hard to see how you can get an ongoing series out of "indestructible killer comes back every week." Although, hmm, Sleepy Hollow has managed to expand things beyond the Headless Horseman by bringing in other supernatural threats and keeping the Horseman as a looming figure in the background. Maybe this could do something similar.