Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Supreme Admiral, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

Source:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff;_ylt=AknD5U15pBRVA.r0fr.VKKBvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTJtbG9rdjdsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkxMDE1L3VzX2ludGVycmFjaWFsX3JlYnVmZgRjcG9zAzMEcG9zAzgEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDaW50ZXJyYWNpYWxj

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

They very likely might experience some adversity growing up as the children of an interracial couple in Louisiana. Children of black couples, hispanic couples, or white couples might as well. Children of alcoholics, people with inheritable diseases, people with criminal records, and any number of other factors could experience potential problems growing up as well. Since you're all about "treating everyone equally," judge, you should start denying marriage licenses to any couple where their children might possibly face adversity growing up, which means everyone.

Great message too, by the way. When something is wrong with the world, just accept it as the way things are and give up on trying to change it, and then force your own personal convictions and cowardice on others in the guise of protecting the children.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

He mentions "black society" and "white society", as if they're two segregated, totally distinct things. And so what does he do? Support and reinforce the segregation by denying this couple. Doesn't he realize that maybe his society would be more willing to accept mixed-race children if he made an effort of demonstrating that blacks and whites are one society, not two? By denying the couple a licence he's contributing to the very problem he's using to justify denying the couple.

4. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

I grew up being taught that inter-racial relationships were of a questionable moral nature. By the time I reached my mid teens, however, I pretty much dropped the idea.

In any case, I reckon Gene Roddenberry would be proud. :rolleyes:

His point isn't entirely wrong. When you mix unique cultures, it can mean conflict. Nevertheless, as seems pretty evident, it isn't the government's right to allow or disallow marriage based on its own definition of probable outcome. Using that standard, as Nocturnus of Bored was alluding to, there are lots of hypothetically unfit couples who are so for any number of non-racially involved reasons.

In my personal opinion, rednecks aren't particularly good parents, and children who grow up without culture while surrounded by old beer cans in the overgrown grass are at a disadvantage; but that doesn't mean that I have a right to deny marriage rights to 25% or more of the U.S. population.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Just the excuse my Uncle Joe used forty years ago....

6. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Even if it is true that children of interracial face difficulties why does this judge think that every couple who want to get married will have children?

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I completely agree with this guy.

I mean, it's not like someone born of an interracial marriage will ever be president or anything.

Oh, wait.

8. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

9. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I'm an interracial kid and I caught hell from just as many blacks as I did whites. This guy is an idiot, but there are black idiots too.

10. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, I could have sworn I woke up this morning in 1961 but here I am, typing on the modern Internet.

What an ignorant ass.

I doubt you'd bet against him believing that it's the duty and obligation of a married couple to have children under the providence of Lord Jesus Christ Almighty.

I mean, what other reason is there to get married and fuck? :rolleyes:

11. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

"Land of the free..."

Yep.

12. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Any thoughts on the subject, Supreme Admiral?

13. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

You'll have to excuse me, SPOCKED. I have personal business to attend to yesterday. This subject is affected on me, because I have mixed family and he's wrong for what's he doing to refused to marrying them.

That's the reason why I didn't have a spare time to discuss this thread to understand how important this affect on me, not just me, but everyone else.

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Speak for yourself, I'm typing on an old typewriter and then sending my messages with my trusted pigeon Mr. Doodle.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I thought this must have been a bad joke or a misunderstanding.

Who the hell is he to decide this kind of thing?

Ignorant hick.

16. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Well, he says he just won't do it himself. I suppose one could argue he has the right to decide what he does and doesn't do. He suggests they go to another justice to have it done - I suppose that's fair enough. Though I suppose you could make a counter argument that he has a responsibility to do it as part of his job description, regardless of personal beliefs.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Reminds me of those pharmacists who won't give out Birth Control Pills. If you're going to accept a job, you have to be willing to do it. But I don't really know much about JOPs and who they work for and how they're paid. Are they government employees or are they independent like a Notary Public? Do they take any kind of an oath?

18. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta give this JoP credit for being an equal opportunity offender.

19. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Words cannot craft the furry, anger and absolute disgust I feel about this. I hate humans...

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is unconstitutional as well as racist. These people have the absolute right to marry. Apparently this stupid jackass judge doesn't remember Loving v. Virginia...

TJ, this human (if he can be called that) is hardly representative of the whole. Indeed, the *governor of Louisiana* is calling for the judge's dismissal. I think that counts for something.