My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was triplets R.Star and yes, she already has children out there in the galaxy.

2. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought "Course: Oblivion" was a risky episode, and one of the best strictly sci-fi concepts the show ever did. It was almost like a Philip K. Dick novel. Have liked it much better on rewatches.

And it's got one of the many deaths of Janeway, so how can you not like it? How many times did Janeway "die" in the show, anyway?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

"Course: Oblivion" has a lot of good stuff fans would like to see in a speculative way; it's a bittersweet, touching episode.

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

But she's already done that... twice.

B'Elanna...

and

Seven.

oops! :alienblush:

Make that, THREE times...

Harry! :wtf:

5. teacake

And don't forget that Q boy.

One of her strongest qualities is she is maternal.

But if Treklit makes her pregnant with a real human baby I will.. well, I'll do something. With swear words and exclamation marks.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiKgqVaO7E

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiKgqVaO7E[/yt]

"It must have been your father's DNA!" :guffaw:

7. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

As a fellow J/Cer, I understand. It's the reason it pains me to re-watch Endgame. :/

I think Seven was an awesome addition to the show and I think she is hilarious...just not for Chakotay.

8. Captain Kathryn

I was SO happy with Eternal Tide...not only does Janeway come back to life, but one of the last scenes is her in bed with Chakotay saying "I love you." :adore:

Made me happy at least~

If there is a next book and it's nothing but J/C angst and pain I will pretend it doesn't exist... :)

9. teacake

I choked it down. For the Captain.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, SPOILERS!

11. Captain Kathryn

Come on... you have to admit it felt natural in the book!

TrekLit Chakotay is better than real Chakotay, I think, anyway. :lol:

12. Captain Kathryn

Sorry! :(

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because even though he still doesn't say or do much, we can tell what he's thinking in book form! ;)

14. teacake

I have to disagree there. Real Chakotay was a pleasant man. Treklit Chakotay spent what felt like several books crying and hiding in caves.

Hopefully he's past all that.

15. Captain Kathryn

He's in Rubber Tree heaven.

16. teacake

What are you implying about Janeway there?

17. Captain Kathryn

I only ever imply good things about Janeway. :techman:

She put TrekLit Chakotay into Rubber Tree heaven and there shall be no more angst or crying! If there is, I refuse to read it! lol

Speaking of TrekLit, I just finished Mosaic (I don't know why it took me so long to read it.) I enjoyed it. Now when I re-watch episodes I notice some subtle references to it here and there.

18. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

That was what I was routing for!

19. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Equinox parts 1 & 2

A thought provoking episode.

Voyager comes across another Star Fleet vessel, the Equinox, a smaller ship more suitable for learning and exploration then long term survival. It turns out that both ships were sent to the Delta quadrant by the Caretakers. While the two ships are working together to there were a lot of clues that something odd was happening with the other crew. One of the equinox crew women hinted to Chakotay that she wanted to stay with them, and the Captain Ransome asked Janeway is she ever broke the Prime Directive. He let her answer first, and it seemed liked he was holding something back when he agreed that he had not broken it either. Also, Ransome's crew called him by his first name. their ship has lost all protocol and decorum. On a more humorous note, BLT? Someone actually got away with calling B'Ellana BLT!? Boyfriend or not, I do not believe it, she would have beat him.

At one point, the two Captains kind of come to heads, but in a very mild way. Janeway tells Ransome that they may need to abandon his ship. He tells her that he will go back with his crew. At this point, Janeway quotes protocol that allows her control of the situation, making her lead Captain. He does not look happy, but acquiesces.

Janeway becomes suspicious and starts an investigation. She finds that Ransome has been mass murdering a species in order to take their bodies and convert them into energy that makes their ship faster. He is mass killing an alien species to get home faster. When Janeway confronts him he cites a protocol that says something like they can do whatever necessary; at all costs to get their crew home. Is he in his rights of the protocol? Are there limits to the protocol?

This brings a major issue to light? If this is indeed a protocol how far can they take it? When is it okay to cross the lines of morality? Surely mass murder cannot be acceptable! The two Captains are on opposite sides of the morality issue. Janeway is very moral, but is she too cautious? (Should she have taken Qs offer)? Where is the line between protecting your crew and maintaining your integrity?

In the second half Janeway is on a wild pursuit of the Equinox. Janeway even begins to lose cite of her morality in order to capture Ransome. Chakotay does his best to keep her in check, but he gets removed from duty. While negotiating with the aliens being killed she even agrees to give Equinox to the aliens to be killed.

Ransome begins to see the error of his ways and he wishes to surrender to Janeway, but his crew puts him in the brig. He overrides them, and helps Janeway beam his crew to Voyager, with the exception of the mutineers and Ransome who stayed behind to get his ship away from Voyager before it blew up.

Janeway reinstates Chakotay, and strips the Equinox crew of all rank and put them to work. Janeway and Chakotay kind of make up. She hints that she went too far.

Favorite part: I love it that Neelix is having a potluck to aid with crew moral. I always tell people that food solves everything! My real favorite part was when the doctor and 7 make up. I like them as a duo. The doc lost his ethical program, and became doctor Hyde. He hurt 7, but she forgave him and suggested new security measures and a tune up to his voice.

I like that there was a second story line that looked at morality issues with the doc when he lost his ethical sub routine. He was programmed to be immoral. Is there an argument that after several years of obeying an immoral Captain that members of his crew were programmed to be immoral? I tend to think not, but I can see the argument being made. After all, Ransome was able to see the error in his actions in the end.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The funny thing about Equinox is... flash back to Year of Hell, when -her- ship was beat up and they were desperate. She was acting borderline insane at times, acting rashly to the detriment of the ship, threatening to delete the doctor and so forth. Suppose she ran into those space slugs there, would she have hesitated to use them? I don't think so.

Heck, her whole condemning of Ransom and his crew was a case of the pot calling the kettle black. At one point she was basically saying, "I'm going to kill you if you don't betray your captain to me and help me hunt him down and kill him... because he's betrayed our high moral values!" Riiiiiight... even wooden prop Chakotay calls her on how nuts this is and has to stop her from executing the guy... and gets relieved for doing the right thing.