Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Nolan hired Zack. If Nolan was interested in directing the film himself...he would have done so. Snyder also originally refused the offer, he had to be convinced.

The director is probably the most influential person on a film production during the production and post production periods. The fact that you've now asked twice why everyone puts so much importance in the director...indicates to me that you have a lack of understanding how a film production works. Snyder is an accomplished and established film director...you may disagree with his films or dislike his style and that's fine...but to totally dismiss him is wrong. You just continue to overestimate the kind of power and control Nolan has right now. He'd be directing the film himself if he was interested in doing so. He's not and has long since moved on to focusing on "Interstellar".

Chris Nolan only did a few re-writes on the film...this is another thing that I've repeated and you've ignored. Jonah Nolan and David Goyer wrote the script. Even Zack's writing partner did a brief re-write I believe. So yes while Nolan does and has had considerable influence on the film, he isn't the all seeing figure you seem to think he is on this project.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Excellent points. His hatred has blinded him to reason. At this point his posts are feeling like he's trolling.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Admiral Young, you may as well try to talk to the wall. He clearly has made up his mind and closed it firmly. Nothing is going to disabuse him of his prejudices about this film and its various makers.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll totally admit I'm not an expert on film making, but its still a Nolan movie. Remember, not only is he working on it, but the writer of TDK and Rises also wrote it with him (and wrote the screen play). Most of the producers are also from the Nolan BM movies. Its not just Nolan alone who is doing this, he has a whole Legion of Morons who are making this movie. By himself, he probably couldn't out influence Snyder. but, he has a lot of lackys on the movie, working in important roles.

Besides which, if Nolan did decide to not direct it, that probably means he helped pick snyder. As much as I'll give Snyder credit for working on a Watchmen movie that actually made the story something i could get through, he's probably a huge Nolan fan, and will do things Nolan's way. I won't go so far as to call him a puppet of Nolan or anything, but he's probably going to go with Nolan's style.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral_Young

I give up. On to more important things...I totally agree about Zimmer's track there...it's amazing. Any hesitations or concerns that I might've previously had are long since vanished. I can't wait to get the deluxe edition! Next month must hurry!

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I didn't say it was based on an actual comic. I said the character was perfectly recognizable. Movie adaptations of literary sources (novels, comics, short stories, non-fiction books) are never exactly the same as the source material (nor should they ever be--they are different media with different constraints). Batman in Nolan's films is orphaned as a child, inherits a lot of money, spends a great deal of time wandering the globe (acquiring various skills along the way) before deciding what to do with his life. Alfred most certainly expresses reservations about Bruce Wayne's Batman persona in numerous storylines. All of these characteristics are there in the movies and they are sufficient to make the character clearly recognizable. You are free to dislike the particular form of the adaptation, but it is absurd to claim that the movie Batman is not recognizable in relation to the comics character.

Ok. "Minions"? Really? That just severely undermines any form of legitimate criticism you might have to offer. As for Clark Kent's journey of self-discovery, there are, again, numerous examples from the comics of this kind of thing (the details differ, but the general idea is consistent). Your conception of "proper" Superman and Batman stories seems stuck in the 1950s-60s versions of each character. That is your right, but I'm afraid it is…unrealistic to expect such a vision of either character to be sufficiently appealing to today's audiences and readers. The kind of complexity of character you appear to disdain has been around in the comic versions of the characters since the 1970s in its earliest forms and rather uninterruptedly since then to today. It's as if you resent the filmmakers taking inspiration from storylines and general themes from anytime after the Nixon administration. I recommend the Adam West and George Reeves versions, if that is truly the case.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:scream:
    Let it go people...

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Probably should, but this is more fun than marking the pile of papers sitting on my desk (yes--marking is that bad :lol:).

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

One man can.
    [​IMG]

And at this point everybody should realise that this argument is pointless. He thinks "Watchmen" is the worst comic ever, you're not going to change his opinion.

11. Admiral_Young

This thread just got better with that He-Man cover! :)

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yup. All his hyperbole laden posts are saying "hey guys, want to see how closed minded I am?" With that I am going to move a long and ignore him.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  13. Admiral_Young

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  15. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I've been hoping this thread would have some great talk about the movie and insider insights... but the back and forth argument is tiring... who would want to convince someone to like what they are too closed minded to like? I'll have to look to a more mature forum for this subject it would seem.

To add something of some substance, I think from what I've seen this movie looks great! Great casting, the music (from the bit I've heard) sounds great. The last movie was... just bad (had some good parts). This should redeem Superman. Even the updated S suit looks great, can't wait!

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because people have some basic knowledge of how such films are made.

18. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Just drop it. It's not worth it.

19. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Krik5555 is in good hands with My Name is Legion. :)

20. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A Superman facepalm? God bless you! :guffaw: