The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of curiosity, how could Bane "break" this Batman, short of crippling him?

I mean, Bruce Wayne has exactly one friend who is still alive, who will probably die soon anyway. Unlike the comics Batman, who could be targeted through his extended family (four Robins, three Batgirls, Catwoman, Huntress, and probably a bunch of other people who don't immediately spring to mind) and made to feel a great deal of psychological pain, the Nolanverse Batman has his aged, adoptive dad.

I guess he could reveal his identity, but that always struck me as one of Bane's cooler points, that he deduced Batman's name, but only used it as a means to find him when he wanted to rage on his vertebrae, rather than revealing it to the world and giving him problems indirectly.

Maybe Bane will send him on a soul-searing journey through time?

Incidentally, I'm pretty positive comics Bane is going to die in the last issue of Secret Six. I would bet a Coke on it, anyway.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well for one thing we know this Bruce Wayne is supposed to be in his formative years as Batman. He's already been through a lot. The last movie put him through the ringer with the loss of his childhood best friend/love interest/human anchor. That showed him what his mistakes can cost him. If Bane is indeed the heir/protege of Ra's al Ghul it's very possible that he knows all of this already, been watching from the shadows and is going to use psychological means to "break" Bruce.

I don't see Bruce having his back broken and then "rising" to save Gotham. There's not enough screen time in my opinion to depict that. I honestly don't think Nolan has any interest in that part of the Knightfall story line. I could be wrong, this is just my opinion after all based on speculation and a ton of guess work lol.

3. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless, of course, he gets his back broken and someone (Talia) takes him to a Lazarus Pit...

I'm just sayin'...;)

4. Admiral_Young

^ That's possible as well :)

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

*Bruce sees the city crumbling on TV at home. He slowly RISES from his wheelchair"

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Bruce sees a Rachel & Harvey home video and ....

What? :ack:

7. Shakaar

Shakaar Captain Captain

Where's The Hobbit?:cool:

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

*Bruce sees Selina in catsuit and...

THE LITTLE "DARK KNIGHT" RISES

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I mean, there's nothing left to take away from him, except his secret identity (which would be a pretty neat thing, and somewhat unprecedented, but nothing of which Batman cares about enough for it to hurt him), and Alfred (which would suck, but not be along the lines of the loss of a mate or child, neither of which this Batman has to lose).

I dunno. The Dark Knight was about eight hours long.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Samurai8472: Thanks for sorting out the youtube link.

@Myasishchev: One thing that could be taken away from Bruce is his illusion that Rachel was going to be with him. Another is his fortune, and his means of deploying his bat-gadgets. Bruce could be reduced to being just a naked and solitary man of no other stature, and in contrast with the first film with no possibility of "crying uncle" to return home to safety from the wilderness, as he did the first time. Others have suggested taking his health away. His mind, his sanity, everything he is, any crutch that he leans on, or anything that he depends upon, could be threatened. Does Batman depend upon any of these things that the mortal Bruce could lose? [/melodrama]

I find it interesting that Liam's voice is used in the new trailer.

11. Admiral_Young

Well we know from news that
    a young Ra's
    will be shown and I believe that
    Liam was reported earlier to have done some or will be doing some filming

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

These words specifically say that it's the end of the journey, which is not exactly a cliche, and is not seen in most trailers. The most obvious comparison would be Matrix Revolutions.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I really think that the movie is going to end on the opposite end of the spectrum, with Bruce fully accepting the role of Batman, and what it means to truly be Gotham's "Dark Knight".

14. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

Saw the trailer attached to Harry Potter, and while it was cool to see the big Bat in the falling cityscape, the huge text onscreen proclaiming "THE EPIC CONCLUSION" was SO incredibly cheesy :vulcan:. They pandered way too hard with that silly line IMO.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

They probably figured a bunch of people in a theater seeing the EPIC CONCLUSION of the Harry Potter series would be interested in the EPIC CONCLUSION of another series as well.

My theater didn't even play the damn thing before HP.

16. Samurai8472

Well if some things are lead to be believed this is the final chapter/movie of Christopher Nolan's Batman.

In a few years another Batman reboot is planned

17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

It seems like Bruce is visiting Gordon in the hospital and not Batman, but it's hard to tell. With the dialouge, it seems Gordon may know Batman's identity, again it's hard to tell. What my guess is that obviously Gordon is in the hospital and is probably due to Bane. I think Batman will take a beating, but I think his "rise" will be a mental challenge. This movie is supposed to bring things full circle, so I imagine he will be re-inspired to take up the fight. I definately think there will be some suprises and Nolan style twists or whatever, but I really hope they leave us with Bruce alive and well and Batman bieng "accepted" somewhat as a good guy.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, but the format of the other two movies didn't really make it seem like it was leading to an epic conclusion of any kind. He's Batman. He doesn't conclude.

19. Samurai8472

Batman Begins- Bruce figures out how to become Batman

The Dark Knight- Batman faces his first major threat in the form of the Joker. The Joker wears down Batman mentally and emotionally. In the end, Batman is hunted down.

The Dark Knight Rises- Bane tests Batman both mentally and physically.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As does every single one of his other villains. What's your point? There is nothing inherently epic or final about another random bad guy fighting Batman.

My point is that the series never had a clear destination, so it's very hard for me to get a sense of anticipation about this next movie being the end of an epic story because, really, it's not. It's just another Batman story. I know there will be more in some way or another.