The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Wfy97005

Wfy97005 Cadet Newbie

The problem with Alice Eve as Carol Marcus is that she was a scientist and not a member of a federation crew.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

In the original timeline that was true. In the new one it may not be.

3. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

He like awesomely did like tooootally to the max!

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's made of the finest corn fed free-range Tribbles credits can buy!

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the detonation inspires her to leave Starfleet and by doing so NuKirk so she can pursue science.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Vulcan was destroyed and Starfleet was attacked by a giant superweapon. Who knows how those events might impact a person's life choices?

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Hah! It's Lazarus for sure. The crazy one. He wants vengeance for being trapped in that "doorway".

Season 1 character? Check.
    Motive for vengeance? Check.
    Can detonate the fleet? Check (hell, he could detonate the universe for chrissake--one man WMD indeed).
    Comes from alternate reality? Check.

It all makes sense. :lol:

In all seriousness (at least as serious as one can be from a 1 min teaser), I think the villain's a new character. I think Alice Eve is the "nod" to Season 1 Trek as Dehner. Five minutes is plenty of screen time to set up the reason for Cumberbatch's desire for revenge (though I could stand a break from the "revenge theme of the week", it's not a deal-breaker for me).

I think Pike is the one dying behind the glass (and I think it happens fairly early). The scene with the gathered personnel in grey suggests a memorial service for Pike. I think the "jumping around" is at least partially due to lower gravity environment (else Kirk's punch to Cumberbatch's face would have no effect, save perhaps to break his hand).

Anyway, the teaser did its job. I will be seeing this film at the cinema rather than waiting for the blu-ray. And I won't at all be disappointed if none of my speculation is correct (I will, however, be insufferably pleased with myself if, by some incredibly unlikely series of events, Cumberbatch IS playing Lazarus). :lol:

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The ship emerging from the water is the Aquashuttle - case closed.
    On the Khan front (if it is Kahn)- do you suppose Abrams is doing Khan's entire story in one film? Both Space Seed and Wrath of Kahn? Just a thought.

9. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I'm thinking she may be Dehner (as some have speculated), but take on the McGivers relationship vis a vis Khan. Certainly as a psychologist, Dehner would be a good choice to liaise with a character in Khan's circumstances.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As a totally random sidenote, do we know if Sarek is in this movie?

12. Pawleygirl

Pawleygirl Ensign Red Shirt

Just some thoughts about the upcoming Trek "voyage"...while I enjoy reading everyone's take on things, it seems to me that most people think it's Mitchell and if not him, Khan. As far as we know it could be Charlie X, or even Ensign Garrovick not to mention a totally new character. I guess we really won't know until we watch the movie. What I find fansinating is how much buzz is going around about this movie. I have ZERO doubt that the powers that be know exactly what we're all talking about. They know whom people think it's going to be. And they're playing us..so to speak. I have no doubt that those scenes were put in that trailer just to feed us, even though the scene may or may not make the cut, or the scene isn't what it seems. All I can say is this.....these guys are good!! Speculation=more talk. The voice, which I assume to be Cumberbatchs', sounds a little bit like Patrick Stewart at first. I wish it were his voice. Imagine this....you hear Patrick Stewart's voice, then you slip in a quick scene of a man walking away that looks like Stewart from behind with things exploding all around him just as he says "For I have returned to have my vengeance!" Obviously it wouldn't be Picard, but the point being to keep people talking and guessing. They're good. My hats off to them. Just a side note...the actress Alice Eve, has Heterochromia of the eye. One blue eye and one greenish/hazel eye. Very exotic looking, I must say. :)

13. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was one thing from the first movie that never got answered; why was the bulk of Starfleet mobilising at the Laurentian system? If Starfleet is engaged in some military conflict during this time frame could the Battle of Axanar have happened between this film and the last? Could the "war-zone world" described in the synopsis possibly be Axanar itself?

14. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

Just some random thoughts

1. The Orci & Kurtzman have found a way to fuse the characters/people of Gary Mitchell and Khan into one?

2. The line "I have returned to have my vengeance" keeps bugging me (The original tile for TWOK was The Vengeance of Khan). Since (I think Kurtzman) said recently that the former timeline still exist, and running. What if in TWOK when the Genesis device detonated, a brief rift opened, and Khan thrown into the new timeline, and from the Genesis "effect" he was "reformed"?

*Or maybe it's just been a really long day for me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I feel like that could be a neat plot for a novel or something, but that seems a little too complicated for a movie intended to reach a wider audience.

Although I guess it's no more complicated that Old Spock being thrown back in time because of a red matter black hole.

16. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Here is a subject that nobody has brought up.

How does Kirk and McCoy survive the jump off the cliff on the red vegetated planet? The ocean is way below them and they don't even hesitate when they take the plunge.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rocket boots.

18. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Chekov does his "beam falling people up" trick again? Either that or movie mandated physics alterations.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually wrote something along those lines in a fan-fic that I started a few months ago (and got stuck).

The idea was nuSpock made of back up of the Jellyfish computer before he crashed it. He found out about Genesis and saw it as a way to recreate Vulcan. He (instead of Mitchell--since I assumed at the time he was going to be the villain here) introduces Kirk to Carol to get the ball rolling.

This time along David, uses the red matter for the matrix and it actually works. They go back to Mutara and this time the planet is successful and stable. They're about to get started on New Vulcan when Spock realizes the Prime Universe is being sucked into the singularity and being obliterated.

Distraught, nuSpock studies all of Spock Prime's notes, and takes it upon himself to "realign" the two timelines by manipulating all of history's key events.

20. AHirogen

AHirogen Ensign Red Shirt

I'll be watching Who God Destroy tonight for sure but I feel like this character, altough I find all the correllation to be spot on, would be a little bit to ''underground'' to base a plot on. Imagine the first ''brainstorm'' of the creative team:
    - Well we came up with this wonderfull vilain from a little to not known season 1 episode...