Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strikefalcon

strikefalcon Commodore Commodore

For you new players, take your time playing the game. Don't rush things.

There's way too many people on the official forums whining about not enough endgame content, but I am only able to play maybe 5 or 6 hours a week and am at Lt. Commander so I have plenty of game to go and I started when the game went live in February.

Have fun!

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If you go here: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=117415

It will show you how you can get TOS era unifoms to go with it.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I've found the straight up ground based combat a snap to learn. But as far as space combat goes I'm kind of like Khan. I just don't think three dimensionally. I'm going to have to work at that. I'm also going to read the manual that came with my gaming mouse so I can program it properly.

4. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Already done - likewise the Wrath of Khan uniform and the Type-8 Shuttlecraft. :bolian:

Not so bothered about the Best Buy Tribble/Targ pet, and I'm ok-ish to let the Borg Bridge Officer go - could by a code from eBay, but for 30-odd quid? That's like paying for the game twice!! :cardie:

(and yes - I do love the Trek-specific emoticons! ^_^)

5. Hartzilla2007

Well it's also not that hard to get a Tribble ingame in the first place.

Meh, most of that stuff will probably make it to the C-Store anyway.

6. Excelsior

Agreed - that's going to be my plan when I get on. Seems like most of the whiners are grinding their way to Rear Admiral as fast as they can, because 'it's a mumorpuger*'.

Way to miss the point! These people are missing out all the 'story' missions (and thus bumping into all sorts of lovely Trek easter eggs!), and not getting into the spirit of the game, namely immersing themselves in the Star Trek universe. Christ, what's not to like about hanging out in Quark's Bar, or sightseeing on Risa/Vulcan/Andoria/the Bajor Fire Caves, or simply joyriding in a personalised starship? These are the sort of things Trek fans/gamers have been wanting for years, and it looks like Cryptic's only going to add to that with future add-ons.

Bottom line: if people treat the game like the shows, they'll get that sort of experience out of it. Hell, that approach makes Star Trek: Legacy a fun game! ;)

And regarding the STO forums, I agree with a post made somewhere else - reading the feedback from the die-hards on the Cryptic boards might be the fastest way of putting people off playing the game!

*see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher for details

Well, the Best Buy Tribble does technically have the best buffs, but that's a tiny, weeny loss to me. Plus, it's blue and yellow - that just looks weird anyway. I'd rather have a common-or-garden earth-tones tribble (new at JC Penney! Browns and beige!) like the ones in the show.

And yes, it's all going to end up in the C-Store, so the point's moot, anyway. Only reason I got the US Collector's edition was to get the Constitution straight away. And the wearable combadge. And the TNG/DS9 uniforms. And the Red Matter Capacitor. And... ;)

7. Admiral James Kirk

I finally figured out how to switch my Miranda out for my Gamestop Connie. I thought I screwed the pooch on that one. But I am now the proud captain of the USS Naronic. Way for me to curse a ship right out of the gate, eh? ;)

8. Hartzilla2007

Um, if you mean the black and grey ones I think you get those with any version of the game.

9. Excelsior

Nope, the black/coloured shoulder ones from Voyager/early DS9. They also come with the UK Gold Edition and other higher-end versions, but only the Collector's Edition comes with them AND the classic high-collar uniforms from TNG Seasons 3-7.

Here's the official render:

http://files.startrekonline.com.s3.amazonaws.com/img/retailers/sto_ce_uniforms_011910_01.jpg

10. Admiral James Kirk

[LEFT]I like this post. You have a healthy mindset. I'm going to level. I wasn't enjoying this game. I was going nuts because I wasn't succeeding from the moment I started playing. I was sweating. Feeling the pressure. I wanted to be Captain Kirk from the second I started playing.

Then I read your post.

Captain Kirk wasn't made in a day... Well nu-Kirk was but not the original Kirk. ;)

You made me think about things. I was running around spacedock trying to figure out how to upgrade my skills and get my Connie and recruiting personnel. I was working this game but I wasn't playing it. I wasn't having fun with it.

So I decided to beam back up to the Naronic and take her for a spin around Earth. What a trip! I flew through the drydocks. Spun around the Earth. Flew around that bigass facility next to spacedock. I even tried to go to the moon though for some reason I don't think the game lets you go that far so I turned around. Then last but not least I saw another Connie...

I buzzed it! :lol:

I just sat back, pulled my dick out of my ass and allowed myself to be immersed in the world of Star Trek.

And I had a blast! :)

Thank you for helping me enjoy my game! Star Trek Online is absolutely not about the destination. It's about the journey!

And what a journey it's going to be!
    [/LEFT]

11. Excelsior

Hey, it's like the old saying - "Life is like a sewer; you get out of it what you put into it". ;)

12. Admiral James Kirk

Very true. When I let go and started enjoying myself it got a lot easier to play. I even got promoted to lieutenant 3. Not too impressive for many of you admirals but I'm awfully proud.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new Death penalty/Injury system and the Difficulty Slider systems (that allow you to raise the difficulty level in return for better rewards) are up on the Tribble Public test server; it's not Live on the Holodeck server as yet.

Cryptic also relented to the complainers and has made teh DP system 100% optional in that if you stay at the base 'Normal' difficulty level - you will not get an injury or ship damage from any death.

Personally, I only think that sucks because they had stated that the Special Task Forces (STFs) would not be affected by Difficulty Slider settings - thus now, you wouldn't be affected by the DP/Injury system - BUT, I do feel that as the STFs were stated and designed to be more challenging/non-casual cintent; whatever their 'base' difficulty level, it SHOULD include the effects of teh DP/Injury system when they are being run. (And, yes, I posted feedback to this effect.

Personally, I do like what they added as a 'death penalty' as what they did fits with the Star Trek IP. It definitely never felt 'tacked on' for th heck of it.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me it felt completely tacked on. I complained about the Death Penalty because it went from being "optional" to mandatory, and now they're backing down which is good. There was no death penalty other than waiting 15 seconds for your ship to respawn when this game was released. To add one later is a stupid move, but since they have, at least they can keep it where it was at launch for those who want it that way.

I've got enough issues with the rampant bugs in the game to have to deal with a death penalty at this point.

15. Hartzilla2007

Well it's good to hear that those of us who don't like the death penalty idea don't have to use it.

16. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok Im at the doomsday device mission. I've got the new torpedo in my devices. Now what?? Just shoot at it???

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Not just...
    Shoot the Harghpeng when the domsday machine is about to fire itself. That's when it's vulnerable.

18. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

How does one shoot that particular torp>

19. Hartzilla2007

They should be in the place where your ship devices are after you find them click on them to fire.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

YOu can also add it to your ship's captain 'powers' bar and fire it from there, once you've equiped it on your ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.