IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^As I said, they were talking over each other at that point, and that's hard to get across in prose. It's possible there was some improvisation or "additional dialogue" for Chris Pine so that he'd have something to say over Pike's line, and that might not have been reflected in the script Foster got.

Novelizations are almost never an exact reflection of the dialogue in the final film, because there can be subsequent rewrites, ad-libs, editing, looped dialogue, and the like which can change things from the script the novelizer worked from. So the actual film always takes precedence.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I'm going to try to pay more attention to that line the next time I watch the film. Only having watched it once, I didn't get the impression that Kirk said that no one had died under his command.

3. Christopher

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I heard it, as well. It was a quick assertion, though ("Not one!"), so it would have been very easy to miss.

5. Christopher

^And since Pike and Kirk were talking over each other, it wasn't easy to follow both speeches at once. I caught the beginning and end of Kirk's line, but missed the middle and had to interpolate.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard him say "not one" too.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Didn't really like STID, not sure if I'm going to stick around the comic now.

It's a shame, I re-read all the comics that tie into the movie and ended up liking the series more than I did reading them as single issues.

8. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've enjoyed the comics tremendously. Individually they have been a bit lightwieght but overall they've been good fun. I'm not overly concerned about movie dialogue contradicting the comics though as long as that line doesn't make it into the comic adaptation of STiD. The comics can keep their own parallel timeline as long as they don't stray too far from the movies.

I'm looking forward to a 3-parter too :bolian:

9. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes ... I take it to mean that the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "Galileo 7" adaptations in the comics never happened, beyond the comic books. It didn't make sense, that Kirk would have been friends with Gary Mitchell in this new timeline, because they were Academy friends in the original series, but Kirk graduated years earlier in the Prime Universe, so Gary would have already been graduated by the time this Kirk was in the Academy.

I hope the comics start telling more original stories, not just based on elements from the original series.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the Galileo 7 adaption is referenced in Countdown to Darkness it happened in the comic series.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except even Countdown to Darkness... well, is heavily implied to contradict the movie. You could work around it but I think that's ignoring the intent of the scene:
    On page 9, when Kirk first arrives on the bridge, he tells Sulu that he's taking the conn. That only makes sense to me if sulu was the person previously in command beforehand. The movie, of course, states that Sulu had never sat in the big chair before.
    You can work around it, but I think that at this point the comics are best viewed as "broad strokes" versions of what happened. Not quite as "foggy window" as Gold Key, but at the end of the day don't expect every I to be crossed and every T to be dotted like you might hope.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see this being discussed yet, but preview pages for After Darkness, IDW's three issue comic book follow-up of STID. Though I got to say, based on these pages, I'm not really impressed that the story being plugged as a follow up to STID just seems to be an adaptation of Amok Time.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that those are pages 10 and 13, rather than 1 and 2, makes me think that there's got to be a more involved plot than that and they just don't want to spoil the movie yet.

14. Christopher

I doubt it would be very close to "Amok Time," since Spock has a relationship with Uhura here, and since we don't even know if T'Pring is still alive. I hope that's the direction they go -- exploring how the loss of most of the Vulcan population complicates things like pon farr for the survivors.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never mind T'Pring - I want to see T'Pau tearing a strip off someone! Maybe T'Pau wants to remind Spock about his duty the the remaining Vulcan population instead of further diluting the remaining gene pool.

16. The Wormhole

Spock Prime probably has that covered, especially since the Vulcan libido increases with age (canon fact).

17. Christopher

^Isn't that the Betazoid libido?

18. The Wormhole

Voyager's Body and Soul, upon discovering Tuvok is going through ponn farr, Tom Paris comments he would have thought this wouldn't be so bad at Tuvok's age to which Tuvok responds "the Vulcan libido increases with age."

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

The Comics suffer from the same problem as the movie series a lack of originality, how hard is it to adapt, although slightly skewed, the original series episodes. Give us new stories not rehashes, its for that reason I'm out of the comic series

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems to me that they HAVE been mostly giving us new stories. The only thing that the tribble story and "The Trouble With Tribbles" had in common was the fact that both stories features tribbles, for example. I wouldn't call that a rehash. Nor have the recent stories been adaptations whatsoever. Sure, maybe the earlier stories fall under this category, but the series has most certainly gotten away from that.