What the hell is McCoy doing on the bridge?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mister Atoz, Jan 23, 2013.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"gay" jokes = junior high

2. euphorik

euphorik Captain Captain

what's mccoy doing on the bridge?

COMPLAINING. what did you expect?

3. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Let's not forget that McCoy is responsible for mind and body. As has been previously stated this is before "ships counsellors" and he is there to monitor and support as he did for Mr. Bailey in Corbomite Maneuver.

In addition he is a senior officer and close friend of the Captain. If there is no immediate need for him to be in sickbay he can go where he pleases.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think TNG had it right with Dr. Crusher. Yeah, I get that Dr. McCoy has a full time staff and doesn't have to treat every injury but that really doesn't answer the question why he is hanging out on the bridge all the time. If he was really meant to be there then why doesn't he have a station instead of hanging over the railing in Kirk's blindside. That would annoy me. I really don't buy the reasoning that he has to hang out on the bridge to make sure the old crew doesn't crack under the stress.

There are thousands of things a CMO could be doing with his time. How about writing papers about the countless new beings you have encountered and documenting the situations. That on top of the administrative responsibility of running a sickbay would be more than enough to keep him busy.

5. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

At least he isn't sitting right next to Kirk full time with next to nothing of substance to add show after show.....like some kind of token ship's counselor. :techman:

6. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

You a cop?

7. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, after seven seasons I must have missed something. Just how did TNG get it right with Dr. Crusher.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Shitty character that they kept hidden for the most part. :techman:

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I recognize the traditional accoutrements.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But McCoy had better lines.

"Damnit, I'm doctor, not a bricklayer!"

11. Melakon

"I'm a doctor, not a psychiatrist."

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

With regards to her character, yeah she didn't have a whole lot to offer. I'm talking about the fact that she was a noted medical scholar that several times mentioned some form of research she was doing or some seminar she attended. She did this from her office...in sickbay...not the bridge.

13. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

No, but I am. Knock that crap off.

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

And again, realism (where McCoy "should be") and Star Trek are hardly "chums together". If realism is what one seeks, one should seek it elsewhere. McCoy was on the bridge because that's where the writers wanted one of the "big three" to be at many different moments. As for an "in-universe" explanation, well…if I started to count all the times people didn't seem to be where they "should be" in various iterations of Trek, I'd have to give up breathing as too distracting.

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

The only time it really stood out that McCoy was where he shouldn't be was in STVI. The ship was in combat, with great bloody holes being blown through her, and where's the chief surgeon? RIGGING TORPEDOES!

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

and so much more talent and charisma.

17. Melakon

There were enough doctor shows on at the time, it was sort of a relief that McCoy's scenes weren't always in sickbay.

18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, as a surgeon, he did have the necessary "steady hands" for the delicate work of rigging torpedos.

(nah, it's not even convincing to myself as an excuse--he was there as his last heroic act onscreen, reasons by damned)

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    But without Deanna, Picard would never have known when the aliens were in pain, or lying... :rolleyes:

20. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awww..man, I had a witty rejoinder for the "I recognize the accoutrements"...on second thought, it wasn't so witty.

Re: the New Voyages reference: That's funny that is mentioned, because I was going to comment on a different short story in the same book. In "Mind-Sifter", Spock (having taken command) makes some sort of comment about McCoy would probably be best served in Sickbay, and McCoy doesn't appear on the bridge again for several months unless required.