Villain discussion Poll

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gojira, Dec 8, 2012.

?

Who is the Villain of Star Trek Into Darkness?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2013.
  1. Charlie X

1.1%
  2. Gary Mitchell

26.1%
  3. Harry Mudd

2.2%
  4. Dr. Roger Korby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dr. Van Gelder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Trelane

1.1%
  7. Ben Finney

1.1%
  8. Khan

12.0%
  9. Commodore Decker

2.2%
  10. Captain Tracey

1.1%
  11. Dr. Richard Daystrom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Gary Seven

2.2%
  13. Garth of Izar

29.3%
  14. Other...please explain

21.7%
  1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it's that dude in the background. he's 3 people to the right of the frame...

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's hard to guess based on age, and will probably lead to erroneous conclusions.

Though Garth is probably supposed to be in his mid-to-late 40s, Steve Ihnat was only 34 when "Whom Gods Destroy" was filmed. By comparison, Cumberbatch was 36 during the filming of "Into Darkness".

If del Toro was truly the first choice to be the villain, he would've been going on 45 during filming. As it turned out, they cast an actor about nine years younger for the part, instead.

For what it's worth, Montalban was 46 when "Space Seed" was filmed.

Gary Lockwood wasn't even 30 when WNMHGB was filmed.

3. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

I had to vote "other," though I really wanted to see Gary Mitchell in this one (followed closely by Garth). Both are great characters that would be enjoyable in a feature-length film. But what's available in the teaser and the 9 minute synopsis cuts against both.

Can't vote for Khan because I think that JJ is screwing with us on that point. The more the Khan clues appear, the more I doubt. In fact, I doubt so much now that if by some odd happenstance it IS Khan (or some Khan rehash), I'll sentence myself to shotgunning three seasons of iCarly in a 72 hour period.

Not Charlie X either. His powers were too similar to Gary Mitchell's... i.e. no BFG needed.

Harry Mudd... I can't even seriously consider there's enough there for a summer blockbuster film.

Trelane, no. He's quintessentially Q.

Gary Seven intrigues me, but he was an agent on a relatively peaceful mission and that doesn't fit the available information about Into Darkness.

Garth of Izar seems to fit best, but BC is out for revenge, he's doesn't seem to be the "dandy" narcissist that Garth most definitely is.

Honestly, over the last two days I keep coming back to Lazarus, or some variation of "The Alternative Factor" plot. In reading over the wikipedia synopsis, obsessed-Lazarus has similarities to what we know of BC's character. He's hell-bent on killing his alternative counterpart and he doesn't care that this confrontation would destroy both universes. It also fits in with JJ's fascination with alternative universes that FRINGE has explored. But for each similarity I find, there's plenty to de-bunk it.

Hence, I voted "other."

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Flint is a 4th possible entry in my top 4...walking through ages, an immortal man, not with a particular power but enhanced strength and skill, his collected intelligence and inventions.

RAMA

5. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

Now THAT'S got me thinking...

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where's the option to select John Harrison on there? God damn am I glad to see they went with an original character.

7. jhouston6

jhouston6 Commodore Commodore

OK, I've got a wild one. I never bought gary mitchell. Khan doesn't seem to fit with the opening that is being shown. It is someone who was a character in the star trek universe. This is wild conjecture here but what if Abrams and Co is having Kirk face off with the man who killed him in one reality. Benedict Cumberbatch does bare a striking resemblance to a young Malcolm McDowell and Soran was a man who lost his entire family and a highly unlikely choice for a villain.

8. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

My first thought long ago was Arne Darvin, as the character was originally to be played by Benicio del Toro, who already looks like a TOS Klingon with no makeup or wigs needed. The shot of Cumberbatch lifting Spock and JJ's anger at its reveal made me think that he was definitely a Klingon in disguise and his non-human nature was to be a surprise.

My second choice has been Garth for a long time. Just look at Cucumberpatch. He has an angular face like the original Garth. Does he seem too young? Remember that Garth received extensive reconstruction or something like that from the aliens.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought I would reboot this thread so we could all laugh at the people who voted for Gary Mitchell and bow before the people who voted for Khan.

I voted for Garth of Izar who WON the poll! And never has there been a more useless victory :lol:

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think it is Gary Seven.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll say this about Gary 7.. I was a huge fan of Weller turning out to be him because of the resemblance and how Weller played Paxton on ENT. But he's aged quite a bit in STID and this wouldn't have worked out very well at all.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you still glad? ;)

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I still think he's Gary Mitchell. He just doesn't know it yet.