Pre-STIII, post-STII fiction

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sam_I_Am, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I just finished the STII novelisation, and got to wondering if there is any literature that takes place after that, but before the story was resolved in STIII. Maybe lit that brings Spock back some way else, or that introduces a replacement.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC Comics Vol 1. is the only thing. I'm reading it right now as a matter of fact.

3. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup, the first volume of DC's run is set in between the events of ST II and ST III. Surprisingly good stuff there, despite how little time appears to elapse between movies, and the final pre-Search for Spock tales are bridged pretty well into the opening of the third film.

(Also, weren't some of the William Rotsler short stories set between the two movies? Or am I misremembering this?)

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, a few of the stories in Star Trek III Short Stories definitely take place between the two films, or in the early stages (one has Scotty talking to his new subordinates on Excelsior, I think).

5. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, thanks, Steve -- it's literally been decades since I've even read those, and I thought there were several occurring intra-film, but wasn't 100 percent certain.

One of the really nice things about the DC Vol. 1 run (specifically, issues #1-8) is that the stories allow for (among many other things) more time between Admiral Kirk and his son prior to David's and Saavik's departure aboard the USS Grissom in the last issue before TSFS begins.

The two characters never share another face-to-face scene again in the third film, and this was something that was exceptionally well-written in the comics, I felt.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I would also add the opening chapters of Vonda McIntyre's Search for Spock novelization to the list. She picks up immediately after TWOK ends, dealing with a lot of the remaining aftermath of that movie and showing things like what happened to Carol, how Saavik and David ended up on the Grissom, etc., and she doesn't get into actually adapting TSFS for several chapters. So there's a hefty chunk of original transitional material there -- although it goes in the opposite direction from the DC comics in that it specifies an interval of only three days between the events of the two films.

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I really enjoyed that novel. Except for the part early on when Kirk tried to get back with Carol and she shot him down. Kirk should always get the girl. :(

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I saw a great fanfic story that bridges the gap quite nicely (won't say what happened, since it's against the rules for this part of the forum). :D

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Off the top of my head, the Saavik story from "ST II Short Stories", in addition to a few "ST III Short Stories"?

Also some of the log entries in "ST II Biographies" are post-ST II, but there are mistakes. Rotsler thinks that Ceti Alpha V becomes the Genesis Planet, IIRC, and claims that people are already calling the new world "Spock".

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

The DC Comics sadly don't fit very well with later established canon, but I wouldn't mind seeing a story that explains the additional battle damage to Enterprise in TSFS.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, there is a battle with Klingons between ST II and ST III in the DC Comics that would explain the additional damage. Also, we might imagine that Chapel and Rand (both on board Enterprise in the ST II novelization) accompanied the injured cadets back to Earth on the Firenze (ship mentioned in the novelization), explaining how Rand got back to Spacedock before her ship.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think Noddy is aware of the DC version of events and is saying that, since it doesn't fit anymore, it would be nice to see a new book-continuity story that explained the extra damage.

13. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

That's the way I understood it as well. I would love to see such a book myself. I love the TOS movie era novels and hope for more of them.

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

That's one thing I don't like about McIntyre's books. She seems to see Kirk as an immature asshole and has every woman in his proximity react accordingly.

Vonda's vision of Trek is apparently one where all women are permanently PMSing.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So pretty much the opposite of Diane Carey then.

16. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I really liked the vast majority of Diane Carey's novels that I have read. Mostly the early ones.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Seems like I heard something about two differnt species going to war or something...I don't remember.