Bashir's Parents & other family members

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jarvisimo, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I was just wondering if either of Bashir's parents have ever appeared again? Is Memory Beta incomplete on this front.

Got me thinking of other on-screen relatives from DS9. Some of these have felt well-developed in books - the Siskos' family, who have been well-treated (and expanded upon) on page, Worf's (yay, although it would be rewarding to see more of Lugok's plans for Kurn & Toq alluded to at the end of A Burning House- so sad what happened to that series!). Others fortunately ignores, like Ezri's (ugh!).

But I guess I wonder, do people feel that family plays a role in trek tv =characters' lifes in the lit?

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I would like to see more of Ezri's family. They're complicated and twisted, lots can be done with them. Bashir's family, I don't object to them being used more, but I'm not terribly interested in them either.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see how the families of characters like Bashir and Dax are doing.

I can picture Bashir's father bragging about how he, Bashir's dad, saved Andoria, because wasn't it he who got Bashir the enhancements he needed when the Federation had outlawed it?

Or Ezri's mother trying to get her to pose with the company logo - The Hero Of The Borg Invasion Invests In Tigan Mining! :p

Thinking about it, that's one thing the former couple has in common - their families are far from the pinnacle of the (rather foolish, in my opinion) "utopian" (how I hate that concept) idea of how the Federation is - everyone dedicates themselves to art and self-betterment, etc, etc, as though that means life won't be difficult or there won't be conflict. Bashir's family are unsuccessful and struggling to make a place in the world; even if in the Federation there's no worry of dropping into poverty and desperation, it doesn't mean you'll find your niche. Ezri's mother is mercenary and economically ambitious. These are real people; I like it.

I believe "Prodigal Daughter" even drew attention to this, by having Bashir mention how he sympathises with Ezri's problem due to his own experience.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Mirror Ezri's family betrays her in the ST:MU. We've seen Jadzia's sister in a comic series.

Can't think of anybody else at the moment.

5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I liked how Sisko's brothers Aaron and Samuel were mentioned in Rough Beasts of Empire. I'd like to know more about them; like why Sisko never mentioned them again after "Paradise".

6. Jarvisimo

Apologies for my late reply - but I guess it would be good to see Ezri's family again, for their reality. Although, I must say I loved one of the idea played about with for Prodigal Daughter (and mentioned in the Companion) - that the Tigans had been higher up in the Syndicate and arranged the symbiote to be on Ezri's ship. It sounded rather dark - and hence why they abandoned it.

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually disagree with that. I think that when Richard willingly turned himself in for having Julian genetically modified as a child, it represented the first time he had really taken responsibility in a major way for something he'd done wrong or for a failure -- and I think the act humbled him, changed him. I can certainly see Richard being proud of Julian for saving the Andorian people, and I can see him even being glad that he had chosen to have Julian modified because of what Julian did to save them. But I don't see him thinking of himself or claiming for himself the credit for saving the Andorian people.

I do picture Richard bragging to everyone he meets about how his son was the hero of Andor and he always knew there was something rotten about that Ishan bastard, though. :)

8. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe they forgot to let him out and he's still locked up in that penal colony.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" (set in mid-to-late 2373) was very clear that Richard's deal with Starfleet and the Federation government was that he'd serve a two-year sentence and Julian would retain his commission. His sentence would have ended in 2375, before the final episode of DS9. So by the time of A Ceremony of Losses, set in September 2385, Richard Bashir has been out of prison for about ten years; it's long since passed.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both Julian's parents and Ezri's family showed up again in illusory form in Cathedral by AM&MM, and Ezri's brother (MU version) turned up in "Freedom Angst" by Britta Dennison in Seven Deadly Sins. But to my knowledge they have not shown up in the 'real' world.

Other family... Sisko's brothers were mentioned (although I don't recall them being seen, per se) in Rough Beasts of Empire by DRG3. Kira's entire family are dead, as established in "The Officers' Club" by Heather Jarman in Tales from the Captain's Table. Ro's only known family was her father, who was established as dead as soon he was mentioned in "Ensign Ro." Prynn's only known family are her parents, who are both dead as of Raise the Dawn by DRG3. Nog's mother Prinadora and maternal grandfather Dav were seen in Satisfaction Is Not Guaranteed by KRAD.

Which leads me to a question which may constitute a story idea so I'll spoiler code it:

Given that Risa was established as destroyed during the Borg invasion, and that Zek and Ishka had retired there with Prinadora as their personal assistant, has there been any indication as to their survival? Losing the Peace established there were survivors, but were the three Ferengi among them?

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've wondered that, too. We haven't heard from Ishka since 2376 (even if Zek died prior to 2385, which is certainly a strong possibility, I imagine Ishka is still alive). Zek's response to Rom's decision to abandon the long-standing Ferengi policy of neutrality by joining the Khitomer Accords - provided he lived to see it - would be interesting to examine, however cursorily. The good news, I'd suggest, is that Zek is one of the wealthiest people in the galaxy, so when the evacuation order went out I can't imagine he didn't have a private warp-capable ship at hand. If he and Ishka were still on Risa when the Borg came, I think it's probable that they got away. Certainly Rom and Quark haven't said anything about Moogie dying, so I'm assuming until explicitly told otherwise that Ishka is still around - Zek might be another matter. Although surely Quark owns a disk or two if he isn't?

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Oh I REALLY like that. I'm going to pretend that really happened.

13. Jarvisimo

This is a really interesting idea - although I presume it would have come up in DRG's Fall novel, since there was a lot of familial remembrance in this novel, especially in Nog's chapter. The loss of his moogie and his grandmoogie would surely have come up then?

I know - although it might have just turned out to be a 'Black Market' episode (good ideas about fleet corruption and having to survive, badly done) without the sterling score!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaDLoxzGgcE[/yt]