What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Finished the book on the U.S. Capitol and now I'm starting to reread the excellent Gerald Posner book on MLK assassin James Earl Ray and the circumstances surrounding the King murder.

2. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

oh awesome, i'll have to look it up :D

M

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Arts & Sciences are life. :mallory:

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed they are. :) Let me clarify: I need to get out of the house more, spend more time with other people, and be productive. Now if only my body would cooperate...

5. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished Building Harlequin's Moon by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper, and will be moving on to Snuff by Terry Pratchett for my morning commute tomorrow. (Don't worry, I'll be on a bus. ;) )

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Oh, that stuff. :D

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just finished Hotel Iris. From the bits of 50 Shades I've read, this makes it looks like Beatrix Potter. And Ogawa's a much better writer. Finally started on Just Kids, which so far is that rarity: a well-written autobiography.

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Unspoken Truth by garamet as a break from War and Peace - my third attempt to read that book; I'm still having difficulties getting into it and seeing what so great about it. (The only classic that I've read so far and truly enjoyed was Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann.)

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Newman - A Life by Shawn Levy. About a third of the way through, pretty interesting so far.

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Voyager - The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer. I'm almost finished and haven't decided if I will continue with more Treklit (I've got Titan - Fallen Gods and Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship on deck), switch back to Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series (I've read books 1-2), or finally finish off Jim Butcher's Codex Alera (I'm up to book 6 but took a break before finishing it off).

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Just thumbing through a co-worker's first published book; she's very excited about it. Your Baby's Best Shot.

I think it's something every new parent should read.

12. cooleddie74

A terrific book on the 1948 Presidential election waged between Harry Truman and Thomas Dewey. While I already knew most of the pertinent details of the '48 campaign from previous books and documentaries it's still eye opening and I've learned a few things I wasn't previously aware of.

13. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just finished "So Close the Hand of Death" the Taylor Jackson series by JT Ellison. I like the series and working my way through there. I also need to get the sequel to Game of Thrones and then on to some of your reader suggestions :)

14. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

Doctor Who-Hunter's Moon.

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

I just finished David Weber's new Safehold book.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I love that story. What's the name of the book?

And, I'm reading Richter 10 by the late Arthur C. Clarke and the late Mike McQuay (his last book).

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Finally finished the Terry Pratchett, I was reading, last night - and started on another one: Night Watch.

18. cooleddie74

The Last Campaign: How Harry Truman Won the 1948 Election by Zachary Karabell. It was published a little over ten years ago but I hadn't actually read it yet. I'm a big, shameless geek and wonk when it comes to electoral politics. :cool:

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Bits and pieces of Why Stay Catholic?: Unexpected Answers to a Life-Changing Question by Michael Leach.

On a lighter note, I've just started Kate Atkinson's One Good Turn.

Edited the next day to note that by a little way into One Good Turn, I figured out that I had read it before. I reread novels that I really like, but not ones that are so totally unmemorable that I literally don't remember reading them. :lol:

So I moved on to China Mieville's Kraken. It is, so far, the weirdest book I've ever read. Magic. Cults. Giant squid.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  20. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished the Pratchett I was reading, too, and started Steven Harper's The Impossible Cube this morning. It's a Victorian steampunk story, with zombies. :) (It's the sequel to The Doomsday Vault, which I read a few months ago.)

Steven Harper is actually a pen name - I think he's better known as Steven Piziks.