The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. The only reason I noticed them was honestly because I was thinking of this place. They never really bothered me though. It was a unique look.

2. agordy85

agordy85 Ensign Red Shirt

I agree. I actually liked that flare effect because it made me feel like I was on the bridge and seeing the anomaly on screen, or I was in a well lit bar. It's almost trademark worthy for J.J.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just got home after finally getting to see the movie, and I absolutely loved it. It was fun, it was exciting, it was fast-paced; Star Trek hasn't been this entertaining in years. The story nor the writing were perfect, and I think the movie could have really benefited from some on-set fine-tuning that they weren't able to do because of the Writers' Strike. But it was more than good enough. The actors were all fantastic, and totally nailed their characters. The standouts, for me, were Pine, Quinto, and Urban, which is probably a good thing since they're playing the Big Three. I really wish I hadn't watched that clip of Bones' introduction a few weeks ago, because seeing that for the first time on the big screen would have been magnificent.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

[​IMG]

5. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

Im sorry, I agree with the "lazy writing" analysis. See, I think that the writers tried to jam too much back story into a short 2 hour film. Personally, I think that certain things did need a more elaborate set up and a much more in-depth development. For instance, if it is true that they had already sent their ships to destroy Earth's defenses, a quick 1 minute shot of those ships attacking Earth's defenses would have cleared that right up. That said, since when does a mining ship have enough fire power to take out EARTH's defense net?? One little mining ship would never have been enough for that.
    Remember, we're not bashing on the movie just to bash... we're doing it because we care and want the writers to fix it the next time around (and believe me, I DO hope there is another one). Through all its faults, this movie did excite me about the franchise again and I'd be more than happy to see the next one. All I ask is not to have my intelligence insulted by one of my favorite series, thats all.

6. Nimthim

Nimthim Lieutenant Red Shirt

One little mining ship?????? Did you not see the expositional shot of the Kelvin beside the Narada - worse than a rowboat taking on an aircraft carrier.

7. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

Not enough for its ships to take out the planet's defenses I would think.

8. The Great Meech

The Great Meech Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that was fantastic.

The general air of swashbuckling adventure that gave TOS its charm pervades the new movie, and in some ways the new movie exceeds its source material--I'm especially thinking of how characters other than the Big 3 all got something to do.

Yes, there were problems--Urban's McCoy is a little too similar to DeForest Kelley's, Nero couldn't be more one dimensional if he were a straight line, and the technobabble was a little too dumb for its own good. But the raw, unfettered fun overwhelms those quibbles and makes Star Trek an excellent, excellent movie.

9. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

Besides, Its still a mining ship not a battleship.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

And Starfleet vessels are science and exploration vessels, not battleships.

11. Nimthim

Nimthim Lieutenant Red Shirt

Since they got the codes from Pike, why couldn't they?

12. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.

13. Mr. Chubbykins

Mr. Chubbykins Captain Captain

*snort* It could be worse. They could have rock-paper-scissors'd for it

Ooooh... what happens if Spock plays Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock ?

14. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I'm late getting in this thread, don't have my own computer and It's now summer so I'm not at The university.

I've already seen the movie a few times and love it. It exceeded my expectations and is a near perfect Trek film

:techman:

15. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Time Travel gives me a headache :lol: The way I see it everything pre this film happened, its just the effect of Nero coming back in time to the point where Kirk was born changed everything after that. Future Spock wasn't affected because he was caught in the phenomenan that sent him back in time, so was outside time when the obvious changes that happened to his past happened, so he remains unaffected with memory of the original timeline that happened without Nero interfering and destroying Vulcan.

Okay anyone got an asprin

16. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lazy writing specifically relates to things the viewers have to fill in for themselves. These points were *covered* in the film. You're using the wrong term if you just want more elaboration. The ships at Earth were sent away earlier. They were the ones destroyed right before the Enterprise jumped out of warp. The Admiral said they were the only ships at Earth and they were sending them all to investigate. Everybody else was at the Laurentian system. The Earth's defense net was compromised because Nero tortured Pike for the codes, which was *said in the film*.

It may not be the way that makes a lot of sense to some, and some may have written it differently, but it's *not* lazy writing if it's *covered in the film*.

17. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Finally saw it.

I liked the epic feel of the whole film.

I didn't like Vulcan getting blown up. What the fuck was that??

I also didn't like the whole Spock and Uhura "thing."

The whole "alternate timeline" thing is disappointing. I would have actually preferred a reset button.

Chekov didn't scream..not once.

18. Mandra

Mandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't read the entire thread yet, and I've been avoiding threads with spoilers, so if these points have already been covered I apologize.

I loved the film and plan to see it again. I especially enjoyed all the "McCoyisms" and I though Sarek was excellent.

I have only two complaints.

1. What's with the stubby eared vulcanoids? Vulcans should have elegant ears. These guys look like they all got pit bull crops.

2. Spock and Uhura sucking face. Not. Cool.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You've pretty much clocked it exactly (seewhutididthr?). The timeline changed at the moment of Nero's appearance in the 23rd Century. Spock Prime survived because of the magical TrekScience that means the people time travelling are unaffected by changing events (see: First Contact). Prior to that moment, the timeline preceded as seen in Enterprise. After it, it went entirely new direction.
    To be honest, I can't see how some people aren't grasping this - I don't think the conversation on the bridge could have driven it home any harder if Spock had pulled down a projector screen and mapped it out.

20. Trek Bob

Trek Bob Ensign Newbie

Sounds like you're taking the whole constructive critisism personally. You're not one of the writers are you?