Do you have any Star Trek tattoos? I think i'm going to get one.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Yeoman Randi, May 8, 2010.

1. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, so something i've wanted to do for most of my adult life was to get a Star Trek tattoo. I know there are lots of people that don't "get" the reasons for wanting a tattoo in the first place, and i know that there are probably even more people that don't "get" why anyone would want a Star Trek tattoo. But i do. It's always pretty much been a bone of contention between me and my husband. He's against them in general. Well, we had yet another discussion about it last night (we've discussed it many times over the years) and he said, "if you want to get one, do it. I've come to the conclusion that life is too short not to get one if you want it".

Like i said, i've wanted one for many years. We've been married 30 which is why now, at the age of 53, after getting his 'permission' i am going to do it. I've never thought too long and hard about the placement of it because he was always so adamant against it. But now that i have the "OK" i am really thinking hard about it.

I've always thought i'd go with either this: =/\= on my bicep or this somewhere:

[​IMG]

(sorry if that is big)

I love the bicep idea (and it wouldnt be big) but the last ten years my body weight and muscle tone has fluctuated a bit. I use to be a lot more muscular than i am now, but i have been working out again and working on the arms which do look a lot better (although not what they use to be). So a bicep tattoo is a possibility.

I'd also like to put the tattoo someplace where i can see it, but i also love the idea on my back, sort of like, under my neck. (i've also always loved the idea of having a UPC code on the back of my neck too. i know, weird).

So i am leaning towards putting it on my wrist, so that i can see it. It will be a small one, no larger than an inch.

Ok, so if anyone has a Trek tattoo i would really appreciate seeing photos of yours and any ideas you may have.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Some dude posted a pic of his Trek tattoo in fan art recently.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

4. Yeoman Randi

Kelso, thanks. I took a look over in fan art real quick and there are a lot of threads. I'm hoping whoever it was will post it again in here.

Mutenroshi, thank you. i love yours. I did do a search before i started this thread and yours came up. If i remember correctly, yours is your name in Klingon? But i do not remember on what part of your body yours is.

Another idea i have considered is putting the insignia on my chest, sort of where it would be on a TOS uniform. But again, i prefer putting it where i will be able to see it all the time.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't have any tattoos, but I've mulled over the thought of getting a Star Trek one for awhile. Don't know when or if I'll ever get one, but I always imagined getting a small, plain black TOS-style Starfleet emblem on my shoulder.

Nothing too big or fancy. In fact, it might just be the simple outline of the TOS-style Starfleet insignia.

6. Yeoman Randi

CE EVANS: Thanks!

I just got off the phone with my sister who has a tattoo (not a ST one) and she gave me an excellent suggestion. I should resize the one above to the size i would want, print it up and try it out on the different locations that i am considering. I never would have thought of that.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

A suggestion. Put where you can easily cover it (upper arm or chest is good) but also where you can casual display it too. There might be times you wouldn't want it on display. I have a large (non-trek) tattoo on my back, even though I can't see it, I always know it's there.

You could try it as a temporary tattoo for location.

8. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It's here.

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's my name and birth date and it's on my left shoulder, Yeoman Randi :)

10. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

I have a Klingon symbol as one of my tattoos. It's pretty standard, just with some modifications to the color.

11. Yeoman Randi

Kelso, thanks so much for the linky. If i had tried a little harder i would have found it (i'm so ADD it's not funny).

Mutenroshi, i love it!

Caisson: Could you post a pic of yours? And where on your body do you have that one?

I'm starting to move away from the wrist idea and am moving towards the back of my shoulder. I'm very very excited about this. It has been something that i've wanted for a very long time.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, do what you want, but my personal feeling is that tattoos are stupid. Seriously, why would anybody want to write on their body? I've never understood that.

13. Yeoman Randi

T'Girl, thanks for your imput! I'd love to see yours, if you don't want to post a picture of it you could PM me one.

Randy, I understand a lot of people feel that way. Truly, I cannot even put into words why i've always wanted one, it's just something i've always felt strongly that i wanted to do. It's something i've always felt in my gut. I wish i could explain it better, but i can't!

Anyway, my purpose in starting this thread was not asking anyone's opinions on whether they approve or like tattoos or not. I'm asking for anyone who has a Trek tattoo (or any tattoo really) to share their experience as to where on their body they put it, what the put on (specifically if it is a Trek tattoo), etc.

14. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Go a step further - give your husband a Sharpie and let him draw it on. It'll last a few days before wearing off, and you can retrace it... it will allow you to see it (or an approximation of it, anyway) in the mirror, etc for a few days and decide if it's in the right place. Holding a piece of paper with the image on it for a second won't give you a real idea of how it 'wears'.

15. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I never thought of getting a Star Trek tattoo but now that you've brought it up it might not be a bad idea!

Yeoman, I like your choice of the TOS insignia...classic and elegant in design. I wouldn't put it on my shoulder, though, nobody wil see it unless you wear a backless dress. And as far as on the neck, I have friends who have tattoos on their necks and hips and say getting one in those areas are painful.

How about on the ankle? That might not be too bad. Otherwise, I'd go with the bicep.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, as I said, do what you want.:bolian:

I always do.;)

17. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand, how you feel. I have always thought about getting the Enterprise or Enterprise-E:techman: in the top corner of my chest. But many thought that I was to old to get such a tattoo. I even had a board here on trek bbs, and most anybody that was my age (almost 50) thought it was a bad idea; however, I met a guy who had the same tattoo that you are showing and it look great. So, I will say GO FOR IT, YOU have my support.:):techman:

18. Yeoman Randi

Thanks Keith!
    Still deciding on where it's going to go, but once i get it done I'll post a picture of it.

19. caisson2delta

caisson2delta Captain Captain

[​IMG]

It is on my right shoulder. I have had this for about 10 years now and has faded a bit, around the borders.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  20. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

I remember when I was younger I thought about getting a tattoo once. I am really glad I decided against it now.

Of course I wouldn't hold it against anyone who did decide to get a small little Trek tattoo that could not be seen when wearing normal clothing.

Larger ones are a completely different matter. At least for me and my artistic preferences, anyways.

Hmmm... which makes me wonder. Has anyone seen or heard of anyone doing any permanent Dax spots or an evil Chakotay version tattoo on their face?

Last edited: May 10, 2010