DS9 on blu-ray -- What can we do?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by GNDN, Aug 19, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, I don't know if I have that kind of strength, R. Star. But that would certainly be a wise move.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the marketing department hopes you don't. ;)

But to me... Star Trek is more about the stories than the flashy graphics. So shelling out for slightly upgraded graphics isn't high on my priority list. The main things in the TNG blurays I've been interested in is the deleted scenes, but even those show up on youtube so... yeah.

3. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember though that the overall principle behind a Blu-Ray release goes far beyond simply updating the VFX -- for a TV series shot on 35mm film stock, there is a massive upgrade in resolution for the live-action scenes involving the actors versus what is possible with DVD.

When you compare the TNG BDs to the TNG DVD releases head-to-head, the difference is absolutely breathtaking, and that's before you even get to the upgrades in visual effects (which, like you, are simply the cherry atop the sundae for me).

4. Leto_II

Also, bear in mind that no studio in its right mind would ever in a million years release seven years' worth of brand-new television series Blu-Ray product all at once onto the market as a boxed set at full retail cost.

They'd never sell enough copies to break even, much less turn a reasonable profit; the sell-through costs at launch for the individual seasons are already substantial, and seven such seasons dropping at once would be far out of most Trek fans' price-range, to say the least.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen a few of the episodes on BluRay, the difference it noticeable.. it just doesn't matter to me. I don't enjoy it any more beyond a moment of "hey that's neat." Is that worth shelling out for a new set? I don't think so. As I said, the deleted scene extras are the only reason I'd even think about buying them, and those end up on youtube eventually anyways.

Different people, different tastes. I know some people seem personally insulted when I say the BluRays just don't impress me all that much.

6. Leto_II

It's cool -- we each have different reasons for buying a particular release, and they're all quite valid. Don't worry about it. ;)

7. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly certain non-Trek fans don't factor in the decision at all.

People don't generally buy box sets of shows they're not fans of.

8. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would feel pretty pissed off if they started converting VOY or ENT to blu-ray first.

9. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

ENT is already being released on blu-ray

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But then again ENT was more or less HD ready.

11. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Right. ENT doesn't need any conversion so it's easy money for CBS to release.

12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Easy money to spend on DS9-R hopefully!

13. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

Nope, not easy at all... they'd have to go through a similar process to what TNG went through, but then there's an additional snag...

DS9 might suffer from the Babylon 5 problem. A lot of the battles were CGI, and rendered at standard resolution. Fine for DVDs, but they'd need to track down all those files that came from different companies and have them re-rendered... If by a miracle they were able to do that, there might still be a concern if the quality of the models isn't good enough to look realistic at 1080p.

DS9 is the best Star Trek, so I would love to see it on Blu-Ray but unfortunately for some incomprehensible reason, most people don't seem to like DS9 as much as the others, and so given the additional difficulties who knows if it might ever happen.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trekmovie had that article a few months ago about how Rob Bonchune had a ton of DS9 CGI files. He used them to render an HD screencap of that Nebula class ship from Waltz.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Buying TNG/TOS/ENT on Blu Ray is possible the best way we have of getting DS9 on Blu Ray + Voyager. I refuse to buy TNG until all 7 are ready though so HURRY UP with em ;)

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

TrekCore actually.
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

The problem still remains that multiple vendors provided the CGI for DS9 and VOY, so it gets harder to have the original CGI assets that way. Rob's obviously got some from working at Foundation Imaging, but there are quite a few others that Digital Muse did. Both of which are defunct companies.

The only choice for missing assets is start again from scratch, something that could be quite an undertaking. Since it's not just the models (which could easily be licensed from awesome CG artists like CBS Digital is rumored to have done with Tobias Richter's Enterprise-D model for TNG-R), it's the entire render: the positions of ships, lighting, etc. that would need to be redone.

Don't get me wrong, I want DS9-R very badly, I really really want to see remastered. DS9 had a depth and breadth that no other show could match. We just to have understand what huge undertaking this could be for CBS. Let alone trying to do VOY which is all CGI for 7 seasons.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  17. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I think The Making of DS9 hints some of the obstacles. In contrast to TNG they made quite some use of fixing shooting errors on the sets by means of early CGI (that wouldn't show in NTSC resolution).

So there is the probability that they really have to go through the camera negatives to look for these flaws they fixed in CGI post-production. If they kept records that would help to minimize the search for these errors, but they will have to correct these.

Bob

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Doesn't it depend on exactly what those errors were? After all just because they might have had to do a fix for NTSC did they have to do that for PAL which has a higher resolution than NTSC.

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

They used primitive CGI to fix the seams on Odo's makeup in Season One, cover up microphones extending into the image and reflections of studio equipment on the display screens.

Back in those days of standard definition resolution (regardless whether NTSC or PAL) they could get away with it (you wouldn't / didn't notice) but in remastered HD the original camera footage would reveal those flaws, therefore these need to be fixed again with state-of-the-art CGI.

I really don't know how big this problem is, hopefully they didn't get too sloppy knowing "We can fix this with CGI in post-production."

Bob

20. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

That's not even close to true.