The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can be critical of this movie to your heart's content. And for a few posters here, that's all their hearts are capable of.

But there's a difference between constructive criticism of the movie itself and bashing everyone who doesn't share your opinions.

2. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

My first experience with Star Trek was watching reruns of TOS back in the late '70s when I was a young teenager. Since then, I have devoured every Star Trek show, movie, and book that I could get my hands on, while enjoying about 90% of it.
    I have watched this movie, and I voted "Excellent" on this Poll here. To those who believe that this movie is crap, well you are entitled to your opinions, this is still a free country. You are free to choose to think whatever you want to think or feel about Star Trek XI. However, the vast majority, according to his poll, really enjoy Star Trek XI. We like it. What I don't like, is that according to some of the detractors of Star XI, what that means if we do like this movie; then we are fans who want "a movie for those who don't want to think and have a 15 second attention span!" or that we are Star Trek fans who like a movie that we have become "Kool-aid drinkers."
    Now of course these naysayers are free to insult people like myself if they want to do so. However, I have found over these last 44 years of life, that when someone insults a person on the opposing side of a disagreement, that they have done nothing but belittle their own point of view while at the same time making oneself look bad, instead of having the intended effect of making the person insulted look bad.

3. mysticpain

mysticpain Ensign Newbie

I mean ... seriously are you here who call this movie good actually Trek fans??? This is an average typical hollywood flick at best if there was never a Star Trek series.

JJ and Paramount have disgraced all that has come before. Gene and Majel are rolling in their graves.

4. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know I really liked the Kobyashi Maru too! I think its the only part of the movie I like, but didn't you notice the lack of anything meaningful or intelligent about this movie? It really just seemed like 2 hours of eye candy and no soul! It did'nt give you anything substancal to really think about!

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Wil Wheaton received more fan mail than any other TNG actor.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I own all of the series and movies on DVD.

I've countless Star Trek books and trinkets.

My license plate on my car says "1701."

So, yeah, I'm a Trek fan and I loved this movie. It's not perfect, it diverges in many ways, but it's a fun movie to sit and enjoy and it will bring new life into the franchise and fandom as people discover what Trek is really about.

Unless they visit here and read posts like yours and determine that what they heard about Trek's fandom was "right all along."

It's sad to say, but this is more the kind of movie many audience memebers want and the best movie to bring in people "off the street" who're unfamilliar with the mythos.

This movie can rope them in, the next one can make them think.

7. jazzstick

Yes and dumb it down and rope them in!

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, probably for a few decades before you were born. Certainly you haven't been into any longer than I have. :)

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never said you couldn't. That was all you.

J.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

A point lost on a few people, it seems.

And even if any sequel were to make you think, it better do so in an entertaining (i.e., non-pedantic) way.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, no they're not, and that's all your opinion.
    I am a Star Trek fan. If I'm not, you may now quote the official guidelines that I must follow to be a fan.

J.

12. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was an entertaining flick. I'll give it that, despite its flaws -- weak story being the primary one. Loved Star Trek (TOS) when I was a kid, liked TNG for the most part (although I'll admit, it hasn't aged as well as TOS IMO)...not much of a fan of the other series, though.

P.S. I'll also confess to enjoying *gasp* Lost in Space when I was a kid, especially the first season.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Trek nerds hated Wil Wheaton, but they so rarely talked to anyone besides other Trek nerds about it that they didn't realize he was popular.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd argue this movie has some to think about.

The fact-of-the-matter is, more deep moviies like, say, The Wrath of Khan just wouldn't work today.

15. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, bub, let me explain to you just why you are not a real Star Trek fan. In your mind, anything that wasn't produced by Gene motherfucking Roddenberry himself is not Star Trek. You walked into (likely paid for) a movie, that you previously said you utterly refused to go watch, with the sole intention of picking it apart, and analyzing just how your childhood is being anally pummelled. You berate others for enjoying a movie they (and the vast, vast majority of people) found to be fun, exciting, and reinvigorating; and you have the pompous arrogance to insult others in this forum, and call them "Kool-Aid drinkers." You think and act as if you're some sort god among men. You act like you're morally and intellectually superior to the other people in the world. You have the audacity to DEMAND that a multi-billion dollar production studio give you YOUR version of some long forgotten, discarded science-fiction franchise because you somehow have the idea in your head that you're owed something by these people. I hate to burst your bubble, Sparky, but you're a nobody; and no one even knows you exist.

You whine about continuity violations, yet you completely overlook the dozens upon dozens of violations committed by your precious TOS itself. Why? Is it because Gene motherfucking Roddenberry can do no wrong? What makes that hack so special?

You embody all of the worst stereotypes of the classic Star Trek fan (which I won't get into here because I can't actually speak my mind in this forum without getting warned... for telling the truth).

At the end of the day, you're threatened by change. You fear this new Star Trek because you realize that all you have (and all you've likely ever had) in life is YOUR pathetic version of Star Trek. You feel so beaten down by life that your version of Trek was your only escape, and now the "normal people" are intruding on your private sanctuary.

You want to preserve your worthless version of Star Trek, and the franchise to die a slow and painful death rather than have it continue on. Hey, what does it matter to you. Afterall, all that other stuff was never really Star Trek anyway, right?

Thankfully, I can report that a few raped childhoods aside (sad smiley face. :( ), all the original DVDs are still on the shelf, and the Star Trek franchise is once again alive and well, with much more to come!! :D

16. PvtKtara

PvtKtara Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Wouldn't this constitute a flame?

Just askin'...

17. Admiral Buzzkill

We'll see, but CRA did ask for specifics and James Bond told the truth based directly on CRA's own posts...

18. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...how 'bout we put a lid on the pissin' contest?

19. jazzstick

I wouldn't mind a different take on Star Trek I just wished it was as intelligent and well written as the original. Can you guys please tell me what about this movie made you think, because I just can't find it.

20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

It gave me a lot to think about, in the same sense that TWOK game me something to think about. It was NOT two hours of eye candy, it was an experience. Transformers, while a fun film, that was eye candy. This was so much more though. The scenes when Kirk is born and his father only gets to hear his cries for a few seconds was very very moving, the same with the scene of Spock and his father reflecting on his mother at the transporter pad. "I married your mother because I loved her", to me was one of the best lines of the film.

To me, while intelligent Trek is good trek, emotional Trek is GREAT Trek. Honestly, was "The Inner Light" known because it's such an intelligent episode? No, it's because it's so emotional. There were so many scenes in this film FILLED with emotion, and if they had used lesser actors in this film, they would have come of as goofy. But with the high quality acting in this film, you felt sadness and fear for them.

Ill say it again, but one of the saddest scenes in the film for me is seeing the fleet destroyed at Vulcan. I mean only a few minutes before you saw all these cadets all excited to go. The scene where Uhura is assigned to the Farragut and her room mate is assigned to another ship is touching because her room mate looks so excited to go and so excited to finally go out there. But now, they are all dead.

Honestly, I can't fathom how someone could not like this film. It just had it all.