The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it last night. Had a crowded room but kind of upset I didn't get to see it in IMAX since it sold out. When I was waiting in line for my showing, a bunch of people came out of the theater I was going to be in. Just waiting was making me excited.
    Did see at least 3 people dressed up in uniforms but they weren't going to my theater of course.
    I was really glad the movie turned out what I suspected after all the trailers and reviews and so on. Also happy I had read Countdown before seeing this too cause well I know they didn't show anything really from the comic series but it still tied into the movie. The action nonstop was amazing. The space scenes were great too. Was happy to see a fleet of ships even through we didn't get to see them in battle.
    Love the new Enterprise through. The crossing of TOS and Movie Era design is quite excellent. I thought it was interesting that the viewsceen is actually a window just like how TOS model of the Enterprise had it from the old days. I didn't quite like the Engineering set through. You could tell you were in some nuclear place.
    But I do have to say felt like watching the series again at times. All the cast fit their parts well and looked so close to the originals. I was looking for James Crawley throughout the film and finally he pops up on the bridge walking by them.

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

So you're saying that we should have a moratorium on "l*ns fl*re" then? :shifty:

3. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

*little old lady too*

Lover of all things Trek for only 30 years and loved the movie too. Hubby has known of ongoing crush on Spock since day one and seems to be okay with it - just starting to feel a little funny about lusting over nuSpock. But not that funny . . . :lol:

4. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

Saw it again last night. I'm glad I did because I missed a lot of things the first time around.

First, a comment:

For the next one, if there is a next one, please do not make comics or web-episodes that explain essential pre-plot or mid-plot points. It just makes things confusing. Just make a movie that doesn't need pre-explanation. More on this later.

Bad things:

The Spock/Uhura relationship. After this viewing I hate how it was done even more. Note I did not say I hate the relationship itself. I decided that the turbolift scene was okay--even good, in character, if they're going that route. The transporter pad scene was way over-the-top. I cringed with embarassment for the film at this point. Overall, I'd rather they just didn't even go there, but I guess they think they need an underlying romantic liason for the new movies. Yes, Uhura is the only woman who's part of the main ST group. So does she have to get into a relationship with one of them?

The plot. The plot really is awful. If I have to see it twice and get things explained here and still have questions about it after all that, well, it's too convoluted and filled with holes. Where was Nero for 25 years? I mean, 25 years. None of his men, after that point, say, hey Nero, let's go the the Romulus here, give them fantastic future technology, and make the Empire indestructible! Nope. Let's wait around for 25 years to make one guy watch his planet get destroyed. And what happened to the singularity? Was it just sitting open over in Klingon space for 25 years, and no one noticed or studied it? Apparently some of this is explained in the comic, but I didn't realize there was assigned homework that had to be done before the plot made sense. So on screen, it doesn't. This is, however, pretty on-par for Trek movies in general, so I can give it a lot of leeway.

The destruction of Vulcan. Yes, still miffed. Did we really have to go the "grittier" route with Trek? What about that ol' Trek message about hope? Here's my hope: the new Trek won't be all about angst (aaaaaaangst!!), main crew members dying, or nuking the old canon just for snap audience reactions.

Good things:

The cast. They really are wonderful. Quinto is my least favorite, followed by Saldana (who, admittedly, had the most leeway in developing a new Uhura), but I certainly don't dislike anyone. LOVE Urban, Pegg, Pine, Cho, and Yelchin. And Greenwood's Pike is completely awesome. He brings the real gravity to the screen, and you just have to like his Pike father-figure. You can see that this would be a captain that you would want to notice you if you were a cadet. The scene where McCoy is "vaccinating" Kirk and they're running around the ship--that was such a genuine Kirk/McCoy scene. You could feel Shatner and Kelly in that scene, and I absolutely loved it. I think I have a crush on McCoy now--I would go see another ST movie solely to see McCoy again, I think. And again, my favorite scene (or one of them) is still Sulu with the samurai sword. It was just so cool.

The pacing, the action, the look. This movie was fun to watch, funny where it needed to be, serious where it should be--it made you laugh and cry and want to see it again. It's watchable and rewatchable and you were ready for more. That's why, as I said above, even though the plot is completely filled with holes, I was okay with it. It was a standard "we need to save the universe and let me tell you with techno-babble how we'll do that!" ST plot. The cast made it work and the production team made it look great.

Things I am learning to be okay with:

The alternate universe thing. It's kind of forced and I'm still not loving it, but they had to do it to make the new series of movies work. Objectively, I think it's brilliant. Subjectively, my heart will always be in the original ST universe. To me, they'll always be the "real" ST characters. Kirk will always be from Iowa and Vulcan will always be out there in that universe. But I'm warming to this alternate universe. Let's see what the next movie brings, eh?

Things I can do without:

Fans being really mean to one another over this movie. I'm tired of seeing people being insulted for liking or not liking it. Is it completely impossible for people to state their opinion on the movie without putting other people down to do so?

Final Rating: Above Average. Below Average plot with Average plot device with Excellent cast and production value. The fact that I think this revives the whole darned franchise tips it into Above Average territory.

5. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Above average.

I quite enjoyed it. There were a lot of great moments, the cast did an excellent job across the board (Urban as McCoy and Pegg as Scotty stand out most to me, but I didn't dislike anyone's performance), and visually it was stunning.

The plot was nothing special, though, and I felt like the movie was missing the intelligence that characterized the best of the original Trek.

I also can't quite manage to wrap my brain around Kirk being promoted to Captain at the end... it stretches my suspension of disbelief just that little bit too far. But that's really the biggest nit I have to pick.

It was a pretty fun ride, overall.

--g

6. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nuSpock is cute....lol

As for the film itself, I had fun....and I look forward to the sequel.

7. LiChiu

LiChiu Commander Red Shirt

I give it an above average. I didn't like how the star trek time line was completely shredded and some of the sets made me cringe (the engine room). Oh and the transwarp transporter? lame But, it was a fun movie to watch anyways. The actors were really good in the roles and they had some of that magic chemistry about them. I also liked the Uhura/Spock angle and hope they expand on that in the sequel. And the best part? The red shirt still gets wasted. lol

8. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did anyone else stay in the cinema untill the tos theme finished on the end credits? i sure did and so did a number of other people!

In fact, i am listening to the OST right now! its brilliant!

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were a lot of people who stayed through the entire credits. It was great to hear the original theme on the big screen.

10. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I stayed to hear the theme too...it gave me a little teary-eyed shiver to know that the Trek I've known and loved since I was a kid has a chance to go on :techman:

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That's funny, I thought it used deuterium.

12. LiChiu

Funny, I thought it was anti-matter.

13. Trippy

^I thought it was dilithium crystals! :lol:

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^

"We look for things...Things that make us Go" :guffaw:

Sorry, I thought it was appropriate at the time. ;)

15. LiChiu

No it's really scotty on bike hooked up to the engines. :p

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It runs off deuterium (Heavy Hydrogen) and anti-matter. The who react with one another to produce pure energy.

Dilithium, somehow, controls and streamlines the reaction for it to be useful.

"Reacting" the anti-matter with water seems... Unnecessary.

The "engineering" sets worked OK in close-ups but in wider shots I just didn't buy it. In part because of my "expectations" of what Engineering should look like (where was the warp core?!) and in part because when you show a wide shot of a space that's supposed to be the engineering hub of a futristic ship and all you see is a mess of pipes, steel ladders and railings, and large vats my mind doesn't think "futuristic space ship" it went to "brewery."

I just didn't buy it as being engineering on the ship.

17. Trippy

"I'm peddlin' as fas' as I can cap'n" :lol:

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And let's not forget this is the 23rd Century. It's very reasonable to assume that the quality of education would have improved GREATLY by then (at least I sure hope so), and that students in their 20s would be just as intelligent and skilled as someone in their 40s today.

On top of all that, this is freakin Starfleet Academy, where they probably only take the best of the best to BEGIN with. When the training is done, the cadets would be about as ready for starship duty as one could possibly be. And those assigned to bridge duty would be the most brilliant and capable of all.

I mean come on people, these aren't a bunch of dumb kids who just graduated one of our high schools! lol :lol:

19. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow! I haven't been around here in a very long time!

I saw the film last night. I had very low expectations (after that disaster of X), but found myself liking the film more than I thought I would. I rated it "above average."

20. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Across the lake in Canada they use "heavy water" to moderate, regulate and cool their fission reactors.

Perhaps... given that the pipe was labeled "inert reactant" they take heavy water, split it into deuterium and oxygen.... feed the deuterium to the engines and use the oxygen for life support. It's "just" water until then hence "inert."

As for "where is the warp core" I've said it before I'll say it again: Multiple redundancy for maximum safety, no warp-core no warp drive you have to walk home.