Sons of Mogh

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by desfem79, Jan 2, 2014.

1. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

Shouldn't Worf have waited until they met General Martok (,i.e. the real one in the Gamma Quadrant) and both would have had their names restored?

I never understood why the House of Mogh was discredited anyhow in WOTW, didn't Worf and Kurn help Gowron become Chancellor? ;)

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It was already established Gowron was good at re-writing history, or at least having a short memory.

Nobody helped him become Chancellor, it was his courage, his genius, which brought an end to the civil war :rofl:

Still, Gowron's moods shifted with the wind. When Worf did something Gowron didn't like....there goes the family honor again.

3. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That supposes that Worf can see the future and knows that he'll meet Martok and they'll get on well enough for him to be invited into Martok's house.

As the songs says, "what have you done for me lately?"

Plus they got their gift for helping Gowron already, he reinstated their house and clear up the false accusations that Mogh assisted the Romulans in the attack on Khitomer. I'm sure Gowron would (maybe even most Klingons) consider that honour was satisfied already. So Worf was "obligated" to follow Gowron and that what Gowron did was justified.

4. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    It always amazed me that they never revisit the decision here after Worf's honor is restored. Worf seriously screws up and effectively ends his brother's identity and it all turns out to be unnecessary.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Exactly, when he becomes part of the House of Martok you'd think he'd take a few seconds to think "Oh Lord, I destroyed my Brother for nothing!"

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This is easily one of the worst episode endings in DS9. Kurn could have probably went back undercover in somebody else's house without having his memory erased.

7. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Ugh, Sons of Mogh. Between that and Rules of Engagement, it seemed like the only reason they wanted Worf on DS9 was it put him in horrible situations where he made bad choices.

After watching SOM when it aired I was certain we'd see Kurn again. It seemed kind of open-ended to me. I remember thinking that he was going to get his memory back (Klingon redundant physiology and all) and be suuuuper pissed, especially after seeing Worf become BFFs with Martok. But nope, that was really it for Kurn. What a sucky ending for such a good character.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why would Kurn accept that any better than trying to live his life with Worf on DS9? His life is still gone, everything he has and worked for is gone, and most importantly his honour is still gone. Death would still appear to be his best option.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The situation after Sons of Mogh really wasn't any different for Kurn than the situation after Sins of the Father. Just his brother was the traitor instead of his father. And Kurn knows how politically unstable Kronos is better than anyone, he knows just because his house is dishonored now doesn't mean it will always be dishonored. All he had to do was bide his time until he had something of value to offer to a political leader, the exact same way he did in Redemption.

10. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

There is a difference here... in SOTF Worf told Kurn to hide his identity in case things went bad, which they did. Duras did figure out who Kurn was, but they were never clear on whether or not word got our to everyone.

By the time SOM rolls around, Kurn has been living it up in Gowron's good graces as Worf's brother. So I tend to think Gowron's rather harsh reaction towards Kurn is probably his way of further punishing Worf for publically going against him.

Though I do agree with what you said at the end. All Kurn needed to do was lay low and bide his time, he knows how volatile Klingon politics can be.

And what about his family? Worf once mentioned Kurn's children to Alexander back on TNG, what happened to them?