The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

While this could change now that Glen Mazzara is in charge, Robert Kirkman has already said that he doesn't expect to make Merle into that character.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't go into too much depth but given that there are other traditions that are actually far closer to "modern" zombies, with the cannibalism and all, I think they give voodoo zombies enough air time. Modern zombies are mis-named. They should be called ghouls.

Also, there's no recognition of vampirism as a percursor to modern zombies. They're basically just vampires with different eating habits. There is some discussion of the medieval idea of the "revenant" though.

And I really wanted some mention of I Am Legend as being a precursor to modern zombies, since that's where I think the idea arose of zombies as being analogous to a plague. The ancient ghoul-type legends don't have that crucial aspect, which to me is a more modern idea. (And tracing things back further, Earth Abides should get credit as a precursor to I Am Legend, but that's probably getting too far afield.)

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In Richard Matheson's I am Legend it was closer to a vampire plague than the modern depiction of a zombie plague. The Vincent Price The Last Man on Earth version of it ran more toward zombies while Heston's Omegaman version was back more towards vampires again.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Matheson had "vampire zombies" but the real noteworthy thing was the plague aspect - no vampire or zombie story that I know of before then had introduced that idea. Or even other related legends like golems and ghouls. The plague aspect is what makes it feel so modern in comparison with previous legends.

5. sojourner

True, but Romero, the first to do "plague" type zombies has never cited I Am Legend as an influence.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)#Influence, this is not so:

7. sojourner

Ah, well there ya go. color me wrong.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, I've seen that part. Interesting, since in World War Z they are referred to as Ghouls. Guy must have done his research. I still want more on Voodoo zombies, though. :D

Well, actually, I believe they did quote something analogous. If I'm remembering right, it was from the Epic of Gilgamesh and it talked about the dead rising up and outnumbering the living.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any idea which tablet or column? Or when in the story, approximately? You got me hauling out my copy of it.

10. propita

So ... Watching tonight's episode (10/30), Merle--whom I'm liking so much more than his brother and who seems much smarter--and Andrea go off in search of Sophia. They come across a zombie strung up. The person committed suicide after being bitten. The flesh on his legs, the only parts within reach, was eaten off.

Does this mean that zombies WILL eat other zombies? I'm assuming not, since they'd go after each other, I'd think. So he was eaten sometime after he hanged himself but before he zombied? That doesn't sound right on timing either. He was bitten and, upon hanging, died and zombied. That sounds like they ate a zombie. What am I missing?

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not watching the episode tonight (I imagine I'll do so tomorrow when I eat lunch, after I've gotten some stuff done for school), but there seems to generally be an "incubation" period of sorts after a person is bitten, dies, and becomes a zombie, so I'd guess that the guy you're referring to got bit, hanged himself, and then zombies got to him shortly thereafter - before his body had time to be reanimated as a zombie.

Think back to Jim at the end of season one. He was bitten during the zombie attack on the camp, but didn't die in that attack. However, we could see the effects that being bitten was having on him - intense fever, hallucinations, etc. Presumably he would've ultimately died from the virus, and then turned after death. I'm assuming something similar had happened to Jenner's wife, Candace / TS-19.

Oh, and you got the names of the brothers mixed up. Norman Reedus is portraying Daryl, while Michael Rooker was/is Merle.

12. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

HOLY SHIZZZNT!!!!!!

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So he xxxxxx and then clogs up the drain? You know hard it is to find a plumber in the apocalypse?

^^ For some reason my spoiler code doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone find the picture quality kind of lousy? I actually checked to make sure my TV didn't go into some odd picture mode.

14. sojourner

God I hope they find the girl soon. talk about running a storyline into the ground.

15. propita

Wasn't sure about the brothers and went back and forth too much before posting.

Wow!!!

Was Shane right or wrong in ensuring one of them got back?

16. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering that Shane, with an injured leg, was running just as fast as the unscathed, slower Otis -- they both would've died if it weren't for the distraction.

17. sojourner

^I think Otis was keeping pace with and helping Shane.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I thought he could've at least had the decency to shoot him in the head, and not the leg, so he wouldn't be awake for all of it. DAMN.

Good job by the actor; he really looked "Full Metal Jacket" there by the shower.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll admit, I wasn't paying 100% attention, so I missed a few bits. Did Shane just shoot Otis out of nowhere to distract the zombies so he could get away, or was their more to it that I missed?

20. sojourner

Shot him in the leg. A head shot might have led to him not being as attractive to the zombies.