BTAS: Super-duper delux box set...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ancient, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman: The Complete animated series is coming to DVD November 4th.

Picture:
    http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/32090000/32098011.jpg

Info:
    http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/32120000/32123871.jpg

What's that? Already have it? Well buy it again, or the terrorist scum wins. Seriously, this new delux edition looks pretty sweet. There are only two things stopping me from getting it:

1. I already own the whole thing on DVD season sets.
    2. I'm a cheap bastard.

However, if you are willing to spend 90-100 bucks on this...can I come to your house and bask in it? Yeah, I'm a sucker for pretty new boxes and bonus discs & books - which come with this. Anyway, could Bat-mania be any bigger right now? TDK is responsible for this, I think.

Get ready for the Ultra Super Sexy Delux Edition, in time for TCC...

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Me, I'm cheap... I only got the individual series sets recently because Amazon slashed the price, presumably to clear out the stock before this came. Sure, I'd like to see the additional documentaries, if they're any good, but no way can I afford to double-dip.

3. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, this kinda stuff always comes out after I've finally bought the full series.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Also, if you are a fan of the show's music, start saving up a good chunk of change for around that time too.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I have the first three sets and I have no interest in getting the fourth (mostly good stories, but absolutely hideous animation redesigns). I don't have enough incentive to get the set despite looking awfully nice.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

That set really looks nice, but I already have all four on DVD. I don't feel the need to double dip.

7. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

Like others have said, it looks great, but I already have it. No thanks.

8. ancient

Bonus features are becoming pointless as a buying incentive nowadays since they inevitably end up posted on youtube.

Aside from new commentary tracks, that is. I don't know if they have any new ones though, just the bonus disc. I pretty much guarantee* the entire bonus disc will get uploaded to youtube.

*not a guarantee

9. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope this was coming out anyway way before TDK became the monster it is.

10. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet another vote for "already have them" so I won't be buying them again. Extras? No, I don't need ANOTHER documentary explaining how storyboards work, thanks.

Although I wonder if these will split the episodes up into their own tracks. The original DVDs made one track per disc, which meant that if you rip it to your iPod you get 5-6 episodes per video. VERY annoying!

11. Christopher

Are you implying you know something about a soundtrack release? That would be so cool..

They're not all bad. The new Penguin is a vast improvement. Harley is virtually unchanged. And the new Barbara/Batgirl is gorgeous (and Tara Strong's voice is much sexier than Melissa Gilbert's was).

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I hadn't yet gotten around to purchasing the season sets when this was first announced and have been looking forward to its release since then. Between this and Time-Life's The Real Ghostbusters: The Complete Series release, my checking account just might be a little bare in a few months...

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'll grant you Penguin for the sake of returning back to a normal Penguin (although I don't mind the "monster" version in the first three seasons), but I hate how many of the characters (both men and women) got much skinnier, with the women practically having "Disney-esque" waists. However, I can't remember the changes in Batgirl, so I won't comment there (although I've never been a fan of the character as it is).

14. the new Joker was horrible. I did like Batman himself and the general animation style. the action was pretty cool in the new style.

15. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

+1 for Bruce. He finally looks strong and serious.

+1 for no yellow oval

-2 for Gordon, who looks like he's about to die from some exotic disease.

+1 for Tim Robin replacing Dick. Much more fun

+1 for a better penguin

-1 for Joker's eyes

-1/2 for Detictive Bullock just looking...weird.

+100 for some really great stories. Seriously outweighs anything else. I can't believe someone would avoid this for such a silly reason.

16. Christopher

I certainly wasn't fond of that either. There was a certain tendency to juvenilize the women. (I hated the character animation of Catwoman in "You Scratch My Back" -- they gave her the body language of a bubbly teenage girl rather than a mature, graceful, sophisticated woman. They improved it in "Cult of the Cat," though.) But since Batgirl was college-age or so, the look worked on her. And her new black costume was tons better than the old grey one.

There are other things about the "New Look" that I'm not fond of, and there are additional aspects of TNBA I'm not crazy about (mainly the loss of the different voices for Bruce and Batman), but it's worthwhile overall and occasionally brilliant -- heck, it's worth it just for "Over the Edge" and "Mad Love." And the visual style can be gotten used to. Heck, it took me a while to get used to the original B:TAS design style. It may be hard to remember in this age where extreme stylization is routine in US TV animation, but at the time, it was unprecedented for a serious action-adventure animated series to have such cartoony, caricatured designs. It took me weeks, if not years, to get used to a Batman whose chin alone was as big as the whole rest of his face.

17. ancient

The women (Harley aside) and the Joker really didn't look like, well, people in the redesign. The huge heads and the weird skin-colors on Ivy and Catwoman was really off-putting to me. I didn't really like the new perma-Batman that replaced Bruce either.

Never-the-less, I still like TNBA. I like both Penguins, but I like the human Penguin slightly more. The character redesigns aren't enough to put me off it.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I rather thought the redesign of Scarecrow was definitive.
    Freeze looked good (though he looked even better in Batman Beyond), the Joker, I honestly didn't like any less than the BTAS version, since I have issues with that version too (again, BB improved on both.) Penguin, as has already pointed out was much improved, Bane looked much better, as did croc, Nightwing and Robin were both a welcome change. Poisen Ivy is a tough one since I see the new version showing how she'd become less and less human, though oddly I wish they'd made her barefoot like in "Almost Got 'Im", she never looked better than she did in that episode. Catwoman is a tough character to get right and I didn't much like either costume, though the new brunette Selina looked much better. Most of the others (Harley, Twoface, Scarface) were for the most part unchanged, so I don't think the change was as bad as some seam to think.

Either way, by the time they got to JLU I think they had the "perfect" style for the subject matter, at least within the constraints of format, budget and time.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I only have some VHS tapes - I feel an upgrade coming on...

20. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Oooh!

Pretty new box!

I dunno. If there where many more new extras, I would do it. For B:TAS, I'd double-dip. I mean, some things are so good, double-dipping is a prerequisite. You know? But they have to put on the gravy to justify it. Something juicy to make it less... repetitive.

Doubt I can do it here.

I'm already dishing out $209 for the entire "Real Ghostbusters" series on DVD in November. This, in spite of the fact I know this time next year, it will be released for $125 or such. I already regret it, it's money I don't have... but RGB are my childhood PERSONIFIED! Beyond TMNT, Beyond GI Joe, beyond Power Rangers, Batman, everything else! RGB defines me as a kid, and I can't stand the thought of it existing in full on DVD and me not owning it.