Could you start watching deep space nine from series 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by RocksW, Sep 25, 2011.

1. RocksW

RocksW Ensign Newbie

Hi I am interested in getting into deep space nine but the earlier episodes seem like a lot of filler.

I have watched up to the episode of "Q-Less" in season 1 and i'm just wondering if I could skip to season 3 (the war stuff) without missing too much? Is there any series 1/2 episode I should really watch first? Is there much given away about the Dominion in these earlier episodes?

The reason i'm asking is if I dont skip it will take me months to get through the earlier seasons.

2. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You could, I would recommend skimming the first and second seasons though. The first season has some essential episodes but is the most skimmable, season two is better and a good place to start if you want.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "war stuff" doesn't really start in season 3, that comes later in the show. The only differences between seasons 2 and 3 are that the Dominion reveal themselves and the USS Defiant is introduced. In fact, some fans (including myself) believe that season 2 is slightly better than season 3 overall.

I would personally advise against it, but if you really want to skip the first season while getting all the important background information for future seasons then I'd suggest watching these episodes:

The Nagus (It's not a great episode but it introduces Grand Nagus Zek)
    Vortex
    Battle Lines
    Duet
    In The Hands of the Prophets

Then watch the second season. ;) If you still struggle through the second season then you can come back and we can provide you with a list of essential episodes from that year. :)

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd add in the S2 finale "The Jem'hadar", as it does set up the S3 premiere.

5. RocksW

RocksW Ensign Newbie

I actually skipped to that one, I watched it and the one after it last night.

Felt a bit guilty about it actually lol

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TheGodBen suggested that the OP watches a select few from season 1 and then the entire season 2, which I agree with. (In addition the list, maybe the OP could also watch The Forsaken from season 1 because Lwaxana comes back a few times in later seasons and her relationship with Odo builds on The Forsaken.)

Season 2 does have a few clunkers but so does season 3, and it's not bad overall as season 1. I'd list Melora, Second Sight, Sanctuary, Rivals as season 2 episodes that aren't essential in any way and can be skipped (though there are people who like Melora).

7. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...I would say skip Melora, watch Rivals...

Its hard to answer your question RocksW because different people like different things.

Yes, you can skip entire seasons but then you are loosing a lot of what makes DS9 so great - the characters.

I would recommend that you go through all of the seasons, but skip just certain of the lesser episodes. These threads have people "saving" their favourite episodes of the first three seasons, which means that the lists near the bottom of the threads contain the weaker episodes, if you have to, skip those.

S1: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147698
    S2: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147710
    S3: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147736

8. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you want to skip over the first two seasons then do so, but I'd watch the final episode of season two before you start on series three.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lwaxana. I suppose it should be watched for completeness, but her other two appearances are fairly skippable too.

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes you could, but why would you. Start from the beginning and go through all the episodes, warts and all, as I think you will gain a far better appreciation for the characters and their development as you move across the years with them.

11. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you want you could. But you would miss out from some good episodes like: The Emissary, Duet, In the Hands of the Prophets, The Maquis, The Wire, The Jem'Hadar and about half a dozen others.

Though the first two seasons of DS9 are a little shaky in direction, the third season brings in the Dominion, and if you like that, then you will get the DS9 bug. Still watch the two seasons, only ten percent of the episodes are really bad in those two seasons.

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I originally did. I didn't really like DS9 at first, but got into watching it during season 3. I think it was the Thomas Riker episode that piqued my interest, having already watched TNG.

Then again, I didn't start watching TNG until the later seasons. Didn't really watch Voyager until season 2. And wasn't really into Enterprise until watching "Regeneration" and the S2 finale.

13. Ln X

Good move! Season 1 of TNG is horrible! The only good episodes are Datalore and Conspiracy. No I think it's best to watch from the beginning, that way the rest of the series seems better because it isn't as bad/horrible/so-so/average as the first season (or two).

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. Start with 3. There are plenty of stinkers in 1 and 2 to skip 'em.
    If you're hooked by the end of the series and crave more, go back and watch 1 and 2.

15. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, you can start watching from whenever you feel like it.

However, "the war stuff" doesn't really kick off till season 4/5.

Also, DS9 seasons 1 and 2 contain some absolute classic episodes. You'd be losing out on a lot. To me, much of season 2 is better than season 6/7.

16. Ln X

Woah! Disagree big time there. I have a few dozen favorite DS9 episodes and believe it or not I think only one of them is in season 2 (The Collaborator). Seasons 6 and 7 are on a totally higher level. Also season 2 suffered a little from a lack of direction. For me season 2 is one of the more blander seasons, there just seems to be something... lacking. I dunno!

17. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You COULD start in season 3, but it's an absolutely awful idea. There's a lot of good you'll miss, a lot of character stuff and world-fleshing-out. Stick with it, bad eps and all, and you'll appreciate the entire show more; not just for the good eps, but for all the little things you would've missed otherwise that really add to the show.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

IMO, you should take the good with the bad and start from the beginning. It's not like the first two seasons are absolutely awful. Most of the episodes are at least watchable, if nothing else.

19. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Season 2 is my favorite because it feels like the most "diverse" season in the show's history.

Sure, there are a few stinkers, but a very small number (as compared with, say, any season of TNG, which has at least a 15-20% crap ratio, often much higher.)

So many original, interesting, powerful and clever ideas in S2.

There's Bajoran political intrigue off the bat with the "Circle" trilogy. Bajor's politics are revisited later in the season with the terrific and underrated "The Collaborator."

We delve into Garak's past in "The Wire", learn about Odo's past and life under the occupation in the stellar "Necessary Evil", revisit a trio of klassic Klingons in "Blood Oath", visit the new mirror universe for the first (and best) time in DS9's run....and the season also boasts the best Ferengi "comedy" episode (it's only downhill from here!) with "Rules of Acquisition.

The series-spanning "Maquis" arc gets off to a tremendous start with the Maquis two-parter.

And, yes, we finally meet the Dominion - never more frightening - in the epic finale, "The Jem Hadar."

But so many of the seasons run of the mill, standalone episodes are wildly enjoyable, like "Armageddon Game", "Invasive Procedures", "Second Sight", "Tribunal", etc. etc.

I would only really skip:

Melora, Rivals, Sanctuary.

Playing God and Shadowplay are not great, but they're watchable enough.

As much as I really love the series as a whole, the Dominion War came to dominate the show so much that I really missed the earlier seasons, which were weirder, more eclectic, more surprising.

S2 is the only season I ever bought on DVD.

It's not a race. There's no reason why it SHOULDN'T take you "months" to watch a series that spanned seven years. It's not going anywhere.

Enjoy it. Savor it. The show is never quite like it again.

20. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

Whenever i do a total rewatch of DS9 I always start from Season 1, it lays the foundations to the series and you get a refresher on the main characters. Series 1 may not be considered as the best of the lot but it still gets you into it all.