Burk in Australia - STID "more accessable than the last one"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by donners22, Mar 20, 2013.

1. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Some interesting quotes from an interview around the Sydney IMAX screening of 30 minutes of footage:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...rch-of-new-star-trek-fans-20130320-2geo5.html

I suppose it's logical that it would be more accessable in a sense, as it can focus more on the plot and characters than having to spend a chunk of the film setting things up.[/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A science-fiction film aimed at people that would never appreciate science-fiction. How wonderfully pointless.

This. Doesn't. Mean. Anything.

:confused:

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

[LEFT]
    Recipe for good contemporary syfy: "Less blah blah, more pew pew!" "Blah blah boring, pew pew fun!" "Blah blah too complicated, makes brain hurt! Moar pew pew!"
    [LEFT]
    And I thought Lindelof was a moron...[/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Does everyone on Team Abrams speak in nonsensical riddles?

:lol:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not having any trouble understanding what he's saying - it's really straightforward.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, it would apply to about 90% of the audience of any film.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

More point to it than flattering some nerds.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Star Trek is a very approachable form of science fiction. Always has been. The "science" was always secondary to the "fiction"

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lindelof actually seems pretty smart and switched on in interviews. I've never seen him say anything as thoroughly idiotic as this "science fact" monkey jibberish.

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

This is true, but there's still something off-putting or even condenscending, and even a little fanwank too, in the way Burk is saying it. "Star Trek" isn't "science fact" no matter how many times he wants to bring up the cell phone story. About it being our future compared to "Star Wars" being a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, that comparison's been made before, and I've never been sure of its relevance.

As far as people thinking science fiction is too dense, too wordy, or too talky for a general audience, has Burk ever seen "Alien", the Terminator movies, "Avatar", "The Hunger Games", "Jurassic Park", "Independence Day", "Back to the Future", "Planet of the Apes", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", the Matrix movies, "Blade Runner", or any of a dozen other science fiction movies that have had broad appeal, including "Star Wars"?

I'm very happy with ST09 and eagerly look forward to STID, but I think Burk would be better served if he dropped this spiel.

His sentiment can be better said in two sentences: Over the years, the perception many people formed of "Star Trek" was you had to become really invested in it in order to enjoy it or "get" it. It carried a lot of baggage. So, we wanted to trim it back to its 1966 roots and make it fun and accessible for all, again.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I just had a look on Wikipedia at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

There's some animation, and the Da Vinci Code, but put them aside... and every single one of them is SF&F. There is a HUGE appetite for good SF films, it's blatantly obvious, and if they can drag Star Trek into that league, then the franchise can go anywhere, including back to TV and in a different direction after Abrams has finished.

If they can make A Big SF Film that can play in that league, Trek will be cool again. Uh, if it ever was. Well, I always thought so.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So he has an on-off switch, like Threepio? That's encouraging. It means he can be switched off.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where are you getting the idea that what he said was gibberish? It is rather clearly stated, and easily understood.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

People tend to use the word "gibberish" as if it meant "nonsense", or plain "bullshit". Both can be clearly stated, easily understood, and yet completely imbecilic.

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

A couple of quotes which weren't in that article:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He said very similar stuff in Moscow:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez-8XXG8fwA[/YT]
    (OMFG the person who recorded this must have the entire preview too *dies*)

17. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

"A science-fiction film aimed at people that would never appreciate science-fiction. How wonderfully pointless."

Yeah, we don't want non Trekkers to like Star Trek. I hope fails!

"Star Trek is a very approachable form of science fiction. Always has been. The "science" was always secondary to the "fiction""

Exactly.