Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Anwar:

I like crazy explanations sometimes. Out of curiosity, what is your theory behind explaining it, friend?

Sometimes getting a re-fresher on things helps. Especially when our tastes in movies and TV changes over time.

In fact, I used to like Insurrection despite a few minor speed bumps. However, now I think it is just gosh awful. But that's just me.

NCC-1701:

You have to take what the creators say and their intentions with a grain of salt. Sometimes the creators say things that contradict themselves. Also, the creators never said it wasn't an alternate time line, either.

Enterprise was never clearly defined on what it was exactly. It starts off with that Temporal Cold War garbage and never really ties that up properly. Then we get some major not minor conflicts with canon within the other Star Trek series and the only way to explain the stupidity is to take the other previous shows out of it's original context or meaning.

...And you can continue to believe in a series that is seriously of low quality and flawed in comparison to the other Trek series. You can force that square peg into a round hole and be happy to stand by something that was never spelled out all that clearly in black and white to begin with.

Besides, even if Star Trek Enterprise's existence was spelled out with absolute clarity by the creators. Just because the creators declare something doesn't mean that their statement or declaration would make any normal sense that I would have to blindly accept without question. The creators are after all human and are bound to make mistakes. So when that happens... coming up with your own theories or explanations is neither wrong nor right. Especially when there is canon that is in question or is being broken.

In just about every movie and TV series you watch, there is an element that is called "Suspension of Disbelief". However, there are things that are just too stupid to ignore or to put out of your head. Thus, why we dislike certain movies and shows and why we like others. It is your belief in the things that happen within a movie or TV show that partially determines your enjoyment of it.

Yes I can. The issues on Voyager were no where near the retardedness that was on Enterprise. Not even close, my friend. No way.

No. I was not misinformed. If you were to look at the bar a little more closely. Voyager on average had 4 million viewers. Enterprise had 2.5 million viewers on average and continued to drop. That is almost half the viewers that Voyager had.

Side Note:

Oh, and by the way, on a positive note, my friend. I like your Sliders avatar. Very cool, man. Very cool.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

If the Enterprise finale is worse than Endgame, perhaps I should stop buying those DVD:s. Endgame was one of the most embarrasing episodes I've seen.

3. Luther Sloan

Marten:

I usually rent stuff before I buy something nowadays. It's always the safest bet.

...And seriously people. Endgame wasn't all that bad either. Really. I can think of a dozen episodes across the board that are a lot more embarrassing. Seriously.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Endgame wasn't that bad. It wasn't the finale I was hoping for, and I can understand why some fans believe it was a rip-off of All Good Things, but it wasn't too bad.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well Luther, my reasoning on "Darmok" was that eons ago those guys DID have a normal language and thus those stories came into being. Then after some civilization-ending disaster they started over again and this time the language created was based on the old stories of the past civilization, thus the metaphor language.

6. nick1983

nick1983 Ensign Red Shirt

Endgame wasn't all that bad as a finale. Adding to some of the opinions earlier, I also like Star Trek V, didn't like Neelix and didn't mind Wesley.

7. Luther Sloan

Randy:

Thank you. I am glad you didn't think "End Game" wasn't all that bad.

Anyways, if your interested, here are my quick thoughts on Star Trek's last episodes...

"Turnabout Intruder" doesn't really count as a finale because it wasn't really planned as a final episode.

"All Good Things" was actually a bit boring to me.

"What You Leave Behind" had potential. In fact, I really think it missed the mark big time.

"End Game" was actually rather entertaining and satisfying for me.

"These Are The Voyages" was the worst Star Trek episode ever made.

Anwar:

Ah, very interesting. Good hypothesis. I like.

Thank you.

:techman:

Nick:

I appreciate you for joining the cause, my friend. I really liked the final episode for Voyager quite a bit, actually.

Did you like it or did you simply think it was just okay or something?

8. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

ST:TMP SLV is the best Star Trek movie with Nemesis being the best of the TNG films.

The Galaxy class is the ugliest of all the main ships.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes.

10. Luther Sloan

There is a lot of love for Star Trek 5 and Nemesis. This is really disturbing.

:(

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

-Trek XI sucks. And it's not some silly canon thing, I just think it's badly made.

-I like the DS9 Ferengi episodes. A lot. They're a pleasant and amusing break from a series that treats inherently silly Trek concepts with more faux-gravitas then they deserve.

-TATV is bad, but no worse then a lot of what Enterprise produced; thus, I don't understand the level of hate it receives from fans.

-The Enterprise-D is the Hilton in space? Cool!

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Also yes.

13. muzzleflash

muzzleflash Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, buddy. This is an opinion thread. Not a, "prove your opinion is right and everybody else's is wrong" thread. Unless you are of the opinion that your opinion is the only correct one. In which case, it is an unpopular one indeed.

14. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

Good, so far, but when they started over again, how could they know the metaphors without knowing the language that they were told in?

15. Luther Sloan

Muzzleflash:

Please don't take this the wrong way: But I must have said something you didn't like (otherwise you wouldn't have said anything if you agreed with my opinion). Also, I am not the only one who questioned other people's opinions in this thread either dude.

Besides, you just validated my post with your last line.

...Anyways, moving on.

Warped 9:

Yeah, it is funny how many folks can like something we absolutely hate. And Nemesis and Final Frontier are definitely hard to like, that's for sure.

16. Luther Sloan

Star Trek 5

• Star Trek 5 is not as good as people think it is.

• Klingon with poodle hair and his 2nd rate cronies was stupid.

• Sybok was a happy go lucky guy in a pope outfit.

• Sybok had to find the most dumbest army to command.

• Why didn't Sybok have a larger group of followers from the beginning?

• Kirk ends up stopping the cat women alien by throwing her in water.

• Uhura is a little too old to be flaunting herself.

• Some of the guards men outside the fence would have stayed behind instead of drooling over Uhura.

• Starfleet must have the worst engineers and designers in this period. The ship doesn't run after it gets handed over to Kirk and crew. Then Scotty can't even find the problem within weeks either.

• Supposedly it is a big deal to get thru the great barrier to the center of the galaxy. But Kirk and crew make it seem like an effortless trip.

• God like being should have killed Kirk. There is no way Kirk would have been able to out run it, unless we were given some type of information that this being was slow and retarded.

• Enterprise's phasers didn't kill the God like being, but a Klingon Gun did?

• The movie was just cheesy over all.

17. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Not obsolete surely, just a little anachronistic.
    Also not if it is a non-tech vision of the future i.e. a second Dark age inspired story.
    And Dune doesn't have that much to worry about (The year 10191 being some way away an all)(apart from some confusion over the form of the old Empire and some revisionism between the Dune Encyclopedia and Brian Herbert/Kevin J Andersons later novels) But that's ot.
    Er, I wasn't actually seriously suggesting re-editing the time-line of all sf shows every time a writer decided to ignore canon (we'd be at it all the time for a start). I thought it might be obv given my suggestion of having the eugenics war next friday. Course, come friday, I'd then have to re-edit the post if it didn't happen then we'd be on the cusp of constant re-visionism and we'd be members of INGSOC before we knew it. DOUBLEPLUSGOOD (1984 - geddit!)

Most things in the universe aren't real anyway. Most things we think are immutable and have substance exist only because we (as in a large percentage of humanity) believe in them. Money, law, even civilisation itself are good examples. They usually don't line up either a fair amount of the time.:wtf:

18. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Interesting idea Anwar.
    I think that a language based in metaphor doesn't need some civilisation-ending catastrophe to bring it into being. The culture merely has to evolve tightly knit to the same mythological cycle for long enough.
    Perhaps the people started out with the normal constructs of language then the stories began to be used as a method of teaching as the entire civilisation began to reference them in everyday communication. Instead of being shown a stylised picture of a cat or a ball and learning those building blocks as we currently do they probably told the stories again and again to their young, probably with accompanied gestures (gestures might well have been the first types of communication) to symbolise rivers and oceans etc. and later perhaps pictures or pictograms (Did we ever get a clue to the aliens writing in the episode? I'd guess at an ideagram based writing.)

Or perhaps they moved into this naturally from an early stage of development. They have the structure of language to form the short phrases they use to communicate but they don't seem to be aware of them in component form (they're a highly sophisticated race after all, more than sophisticated enough to invent a universal translator but they don't appear to be aware of adverbs and such). I certainly not, I can't remember the names of components of language off the top of my head either.

Stories are important to cultures (Terry Pratchett suggests we should be called pan narans(the storytelling ape) instead of homo sapiens in 'Science of Discword2' because of our love of stories).

As the crew on Enterprise begin to match the names in the metaphors to entries in their database it would seem that the mythology exists on several planets.

You really have to step sideways outside the box you were born and brought up in to get your head around this episode and that's why I love it.

19. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

To be fair, I have had problems with the Paradise thing.

I think it just means RELATIVE paradise. Relative to 20th Century people. California is referred to as the 'paradise' state. Relative to rainy England, that is. But people are killed every day in California. Of course, you would want to live in a relative paradise, and I don't understand this concept of people wanting to leave 24th Century Earth go elsewhere. I bet, if it all went haywire, they wuold be calling for help real soon.

TOS had loads of episodes where they lived in a 'Paradise', and Kirk shot them out of it! Gene Roddenberry's thinking seemed to have changed since then, though that might have been because at the time, if you said anything was better than working 9 to 5 in a capitalist system, you were in danger of being labelled a communist.

I think that they had to put something in it to make it exciting to 20th Century audiences and I think that GR was hoping for a more mature audience by the 90's.

You could have a ST series just based on exploration and character relationships and new concepts, but it's audience would be drastically reduced to all those who go into science because of ST. What's wrong with that? If the fans are going to write the new ST, why not have a splinter group that just write for all the scientists that love ST and took it as their inspiration? I'd watch it. I think SF has something to do with this, as well as depicting how our weapons will become more powerful, though one would have hoped a nuclear weapon would have been powerful enough.

I watched DS9 yesterday and it seemed to me that it told you a lot about human politics as it is, and has been, but not a lot about our hopes for the future. It's hardly SF in that respect. It's excellent as a series of human history lessons, but there's nothing there that will make people want to watch it in 50 years.

Improving yourself isn't 'new age' guff. I'm hoping to do a degree, go into research and get a black belt. Life seems fairly pointless to me without doing something to improve yourself and working 9 to 5 for forty years, to be put in a hole at the end of it, or burned into ashes, and put in pot, and that makes me unbelievably depressed. There must be more to life than that and surely Science Fiction is about exploring it. Even just reading SF gives you some meaning to your life, I would have thought, becuase you're imagining something better, or at least different, and that makes us distinct from animals and is something we have been doing since we were cavemen.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My point, however, is that it is something that will happen to every sci-fi show or film set in "the future". Everything will eventually become anachronistic in time because they'll never be completely accurate depictions of the future no matter how hard they try. Every futuristic show or film are really products of the real-world times they are actually made in and are based on what their creators think the future could be at that particular time. TOS was set in a future as perceived in the 1960s, TNG did the same thing from an 1980s perspective, and so on.
    Um, I wasn't talking about canon but really about continuity, and how having to constantly revise the history in a fictional futuristic universe to match today's ever-changing real-world events can be a never-ending task...and also somewhat unnecessary really in a universe that is separate from ours anyway.
    Uh...yes?
    [​IMG]
    My point there was really just "don't sweat the small stuff," but okay.