AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

The only thing I'd agree with is the backwards headbutt, unless they were going for a ponytail whip thing. Other than that I though it was cool!

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, she has bigger and more jiggly boobs in the comic books :shrug:, and I believe "comic books" is the key phrase here.

If we were looking for a realistic fight the whole movie would be utter bullshit.

For a comic book super spy, Scarjo does a fine job representing and this fight was great.

And yes, Coulson taking it in stride is one of the things that make him awesome.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God I love ScarJo! :drool: Great clip, my girl looks great!

:rolleyes:

You obviously have no interest in this movie and only want to take every possible opportunity to knock it down. Why are you here?

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Because people who hate fun like to ruin it for other people.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I little comparison of the evolution of the Jade Giant in a 10yr span.

'12................................................'08...................................'03
    [​IMG]

6. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^That's not bad, actually considering that the canon character goes from grey to green and back to grey within a few issues.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the clip. And I agree, Coulson's reaction was great. You can tell he's just patiently waiting for her to finish so he can tell her what's going on.

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Maybe overkill, but I'd have loved it, if he'd checked his watch and started humming 'The Girl from Ipanema'.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looked like the scene went on after the clip ended, so there could be more Coulson in it.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love the fight clip, although when she broke the chair I half-expected her to stake one of the guys with a broken chair leg. :lol:

It's thanks to Whedon that I have reasonable hope that most of the time the characters won't be entirely stupid when they open their mouths.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

about the scene itself, it seems that even before any dialogue happens - as soon as we see the wide shot of her in the chair - we know exactly what is going to happen in the scene. There was a time when this material (a woman who's tied in a chair but can kick ass and get free herself without worry) might have been surprising and fresh, but not here.

As for why I am here.. because the summer film season has big sfx, and science fiction films that should be fun and engaging.. but this summer in particular, there is not one single fresh idea at all. Iron Man 2 was just a commercial for this film, and this film can only collapse under the weight of all the stars and all the cliches.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually pretty stoked to see Hulk...I happen to think he looks awesome from what we've seen so far.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

he looks like a cg version of the comic hulk crayoned over the footage. Certainly nothing remarkable here.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Did Joss Whedon kill your dog, or something? Why are you determined to piss on every single thing about this movie that you can find? If you don't want to see it, then just leave the thread alone. There's no need to make the rest of us miserable.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well said and I whole heartedly agree. It's all well and good about disagreeing and not liking something, but to carry it on all this time? It'd also be another thing if someone changed their mind as well...but that isn't the case at all. By now we all get Flying Spaghetti Monster's point. He isn't a Joss fan and doesn't like the approach to this movie. Point made. .

16. Trekker4747

I think the "current" Hulk looks good and I, again, love the hell out of the clip. Is it a bit cliche'd? Perhaps but I think I can sort of expect that from Joss. It's still an awesome clip and I'm glad it seems like we'll get to see Black Widow doing some ass-kicking.

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's funniest he's looking for "freshness" in a movie using characters and storylines over 60 years old! Of COURSE we know what to expect. Is anyone surprised at how Black Widow was going to handle herself?
    It's like showing a clip of Banner starting to get angry, and complaining that there was a time in the 70's that a character getting angry and turning into a large, hulking monster was fresh, but not here. We all know basically what we're getting into and we mostly seem to be loving what we're seeing so far.

18. Trekker4747

I wonder what he'd say if Black Window played the damsel in distress and was utterly helpless and needed a man to come save her? I mean, that's what's supposed to happen to women (even "strong" women) in movies, right?

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

My point is that the scene didn't even need to play out. As soon as we saw her in the chair surrounded by bad guys, we already exatly what would happen, how it would happen, and we already know, before the action takes place, that we are going to just accept that she ill take them out despite the fact ScarJo probably couldnt bench press forty-five pounds.

But that's only part of the point.I'm not going to worship the alter of Nolan, but, with Batman Begins he took material that was indeed familiar and at least made it seem fresh, depsuite the fact that it actually wasn't.

But Avengers looks like a paper thin money grab, with no subtlety or craftsmanship. Hey that can be ok, too. I'm a fan of the first Transformers film. But that was quite a few years ago, even the sense of fun that that film brought to the table has worn thin in films that have tried to replicate it in the intervening years.

I am just offering an opposite point of view. This film should be marginally entertaining. Just accept the fact that there's no story, no drama, nothing in here that would turn a good science fiction film into a great one. It's summertime, and to the extent that I wnat to have fun, I'll enjoy it. I don't know, I just find it pointless to get all worked up about it. Same with TDKR. Looks like it will be just as overcooked as the last film.

20. Trekker4747

You're just being obtuse now. I could predict the ending of probably 90% of the scenes in movies I go to see just because of the way movies and story telling works. Hell, I can tell you the whole story of the movie right now.

A big threat comes to Earth, the Avengers are assembled and initially suffer some growing pains in working together given their diverse group and their various backgrounds; but in the end finally get over their personal bullshit, learn to work together, stop the threat and emerge triumphant.

Yeah when the scene started I knew exactly where it was going to go. It was obvious just from knowing her character she was going to punk all of them and kick their asses. That still doesn't mean it cannot be enjoyed! I already know the good guys are going to win in this movie. I already know who's going to survive based on their various franchises still being in place. But, hey, I can still enjoy the ride and the visuals of it all.

:rolleyes:

Forty-five pounds is how much your average kindergartener weighs. If ScarJo has kids I doubt she'd struggle to lift them into the car or to give them a hug. She seems pretty fit to me while still being feminine and slender. And no matter how much weight she can bench that still doesn't mean her swinging a foot at your head at great force isn't going to knock you for a loop.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.