Spider-Man Post Brand New Day

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

2. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Actually, OMD was already in the works when they decided to reveal Peter's identity. They only did it because they wanted to use it as an excuse to get rid of the marriage. Basically, OMD was even more unnecessary than it was made out to be.

I will illustrate:

Secret ID reveal -> Kingpin targets Parkers -> Aunt May gets shot (while Peter's contacts that should have been able to help her conveniently cannot in a lame plot hole explanation) -> Deal w/Mephisto

And that was on top of the fact that given Peter's guilt over the death of his Uncle Ben he would have NEVER publicly revealed his identity. No matter the prodding and threat of job loss and getting kicked from Avengers' Tower by Stark. No matter the approval to do it given by May and MJ. He would not have done it. He KNOWS his enemies. He KNOWS that his family would be targets. He KNOWS that there would be a breakdown in their security that an enemy would take advantage of. Yet all of that was brushed aside for the sake of a stupidly contrived plot to take us to this long desired outcome of Quesada's.

Now we have Pathetic Peter of the lousy "Parker luck" instead of the "With great power comes great responsibility" Peter. Peter used to be inspiring. Now he is just pathetic.

My hope is that with the Disney buyout of Marvel and his unceasing schmoozing of denizens of Hollywood to come write comics when they can bother to meet a deadline, Quesada moves onto greener pastures and we get a competent editor as Marvel's new editor-in-chief. Someone who will fix this mess Quesada has created.

3. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

On that note; can someone please stream line the God damn DC universe?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

**runs screaming into the night**

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Aw come on, he smacked Jan ONCE while having a psychotic breakdown (and this was right before he defeated the Masters of Evil singlehanded) and it's his mark forever. No one cares that Jan used his mental breakdown to get him to marry her. They're equally bad if you want to have it that way.

8. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, I might add, she divorced him immediately after. No halting long period of excuses and relapses--he was gone. Until someone retcons it as 'not being the first time', a hero had his lowest moment, and paid his highest price.

9. the Dagman

Everyone keeps beating the Hank Pym drum. :rolleyes:

Well, not everyone. But it seems like it from time to time. When it was revealed back in Avengers #395 that Pym's mental breakdowns were in fact caused by Kang the Conqueror. Kang was trying to twist Pym into his lackey with subtle pushes over time, and Pym resisted his efforts but at the cost of his mental health. So Kang turned his efforts over to his second choice: Tony Stark.

Yes, I know it comes from the horrible "The Crossing" story. But the explanation IS still in continuity. But I doubt that Bendis and the rest of Quesada's good ol' boys club ever bothered to research the books they take over. If they did, we wouldn't have had recent stories like Peter Parker getting drunk at his aunt's wedding. When it has been a long established fact that Peter does not drink. Alcohol combined with spider-powers equals someone maybe getting hurt, so the responsible thing to do is to abstain. But then, that would be Responsible Peter, not the Pathetic Peter currently in mainstream Marvel.

10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No matter how good the stories might have become, they're still stories told about a dude who made a deal with the devil.
    I don't give a damn about this new Peter Parker anymore, so I don't read BND-Spider-man.
    I switched over to USM instead. At least that Peter is still likable.

11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Um...okay. :rolleyes: Well, it's nice to know that there's someone out there who understands these characters even less than Joe Quesada. :p

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, apparently about 62-64K worth of people per week that apparently aren't as attached to the Power&Responsibility angle of the character and/or simply understand Spidey/Peter as equally bad as JoeQ.

ASM hangs in the lower top 20 on good weeks, Buffy out sells ASM for crying out loud per issue.

13. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

So how else would you interpret that particular panel? Admittedly, I don't really read grown up spidey, more into the ultimate line.

14. the Dagman

Too bad his world got Loeb-ed though.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've read multiple interpretations of that panel: she asked Mephisto to let her remember the marriage (the most popular interpretation), or she asked him to resurrect Harry Osborne, or that it was an unspecified whisper that could be retconned into a justification for hitting the reset button later on. But I have never before seen anyone suggest that MJ was offering to have sex with Mephisto. That's just bizarre.

16. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

lol. Shit, I'm gonna have to reread this now.. I got my impression, I think, from the sick smirk Mephisto had on his face after that whisper. Also, it doesn't sound likely he would do any of those extra things you suggest without jacking up the price of the transaction.

17. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That thing is hilarious!!:guffaw:

And it doesn't even mention Scott Summers' marriage to Madelyne Pryor!

Actually I thought o.p. was deliberately making a funny... y'know it goes with the phrase "whisper sweet nothings into the ear". So, in effect, I thought he was lampooning the whole thing - It suggested that our favorite redhead in the MU has a thing for Mephisto (who is red all over!)

Well - at least I thought it was funny when I read his explanation...

I think people hate the general direction of the recent ASM spidey so much that they don't see things humorously.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  18. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Again, where was this fan outrage before OMD? Where Quesada:

1)Spent a whole year trying to get MJ and Peter broken up, hoping the fans would accept it. But unlike mindless lemming X-Men fans, Spider-Man fans told him to fuck off. Not JMS's greatest moment btw.

2)Angered at the fan rejection, sought revenge by shitting all over Pete's other great love Gwen Stacy by having her pity fuck Norman Osbourne. The guy should have been done as EIC after that. No if's, and's, or but's about it. I can't believe fans weren't as upset about that as they were OMD. One of the reason I just can't take Marvel fans seriously anymore.

3) Had his boy toy Mark Millar reveal Pete's secret identity to the world. And then had the audacity to call it brilliant.

4)Actually published that piece of shit, Reign. A lame, Dark Knight Returns ripoff that didn't even try to hide it. In which Pete's Spider Semen poisons Mary Jane. Yes that's right. Peter Parker literally fucks Mary Jane to death. Just proving that that motherfucker has no shame and really, really hates Spider-Man. I wonder if it was the money shot that killed her. I think her face probably melted off like that Nazi dude at the end of Raider of The Lost Ark. But again, I'm probably just giving Quesada ideas.

They did all this to Pete, and much more during Quesada's reign of terror. But selling his soul to the Devil is what offends people? Really? That's what finally made people turn on Quesada? Really? Becuase that's nothing compared to what he did to him prior to that.

19. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^

Case in point re people being upset about ASM spidey storylines.

See - I don't get some of the hate re Gwen Stacy having babies after a one-night stand with Norman Osborn. Is it a retcon? Yes, it is. And a badly-fitting retcon? Sure.

But I don't agree with some of the comments (not Thrall's but I've seen it elsewhere) about how Gwen because of this is now being called names like a "whore". Just cause she didn't understand or get the creepy vibes from Norman Osborn and ends up having a one-night stand with him doesn't automatically "soil" her or anything. It was a poor decision. Some people make it.

Of course, by having this "side" of the story be revealed thirty-plus years after the original storyline (I exaggerate, perhaps but still...) is a pretty poor retcon. So I do think the writer is overreaching when they try to suggest that this actually happened and nobody was aware of it.

20. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

People were offended because:

-It raped the mythology
    -It was ridiculously out of character
    -It was done solely so Quesada could get revenge on the fans
    -It makes all the times Peter spent mopping about her death over the past 35 years kind of fucking pointless, now doesn't it?
    -It was the complete opposite of what Lee, Kirby, and Ditko were trying to do with their stories.

She cheated on her one true love with his best friends dad! How is that not the definition of "Whore"!?

Well JMS was really pissed off by having to write it. He was originally planning on having the kids be Pete's. Which is still a stupid idea. But not nearly as bad as when Quesada got a hold of it, and decided to change it to Norman. Because he thought it would make for better drama and he didn't want people thinking Pete is older then he actually is.